Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Large attachment handling
  •  
sedell

Send a private message to this user
I'm having a problem with KMS not handling large attachments properly. The limit seems to be around 7 or 8 MB. Support apparently thinks I'm nuts. After reporting it, I get a response back that "KMS does not have any issues handling large attachments. Based on your descriptions, I would first suspect any antivirus software on the client or server." Antivirus mail scanning has already been disabled on clients, and external antivirus has been disabled on the server leaving the built in McAfee.

I'm using KMS 6.0.6 with KOC 6.0.5. Here's the situation:

1. I have "Limit maximum incoming SMTP message size to:" set to 8 MB because we need to limit attachment size. Incoming SMTP server connections get a message that the user has exceeded quota, even though the logs shows "Command DATA failed: Message too long (size=14461891)".

2. Users with the KOC eventually get a blank return receipt from System Administrator [unknown<_at_>unspecified-domain] with the subject Undeliverable: [original subject]. There are no details, and the option to resend doesn't work because the message is blank.

3. Users set up as Corporate/Workgroup using Internet mail eventually get a return message "No transport provider was available for delivery to this recipient".

4. Users set up for Internet Only, have a different problem. The incoming message size affects their sending of mail. The mail server shows in the logs something like "Command DATA failed: Message too long (size=14461891)", but Outlook doesn't show a rejection error. The message stays in the outbox and continually tries to send.

Is anyone else having similar problems? Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,
Scott

Scott
  •  
bperkins

The only issue I have with large attachments is with webmail. Apparently, you cannot send anything larger than ~17M over webmail (at least I couldn't). I could use Outlook or any other mail client and send the attachment successfully.

I assumed that KMS's equivalent to the php.conf file is set at ~17M for file uploads.

This was my experience with large attachments........

BP
  •  
sedell

What version of Outlook are you using? We have Outlook 2000 here. I wonder if the client problems are Outlook version specific.

Thanks,
Scott

•  
bperkins

I think at the time is was Outlook XP. It might have been Outlook 2003, but I don't think so. I think it was before I upgraded.

I know it wasn't Outlook 2000.

BP
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

sedell wrote on Wed, 05 January 2005 14:02

I'm having a problem with KMS not handling large attachments properly. The limit seems to be around 7 or 8 MB. Support apparently thinks I'm nuts. After reporting it, I get a response back that "KMS does not have any issues handling large attachments. Based on your descriptions, I would first suspect any antivirus software on the client or server." Antivirus mail scanning has already been disabled on clients, and external antivirus has been disabled on the server leaving the built in McAfee.

I'm using KMS 6.0.6 with KOC 6.0.5. Here's the situation:

1. I have "Limit maximum incoming SMTP message size to:" set to 8 MB because we need to limit attachment size. Incoming SMTP server connections get a message that the user has exceeded quota, even though the logs shows "Command DATA failed: Message too long (size=14461891)".

2. Users with the KOC eventually get a blank return receipt from System Administrator [unknown<_at_>unspecified-domain] with the subject Undeliverable: [original subject]. There are no details, and the option to resend doesn't work because the message is blank.

3. Users set up as Corporate/Workgroup using Internet mail eventually get a return message "No transport provider was available for delivery to this recipient".

4. Users set up for Internet Only, have a different problem. The incoming message size affects their sending of mail. The mail server shows in the logs something like "Command DATA failed: Message too long (size=14461891)", but Outlook doesn't show a rejection error. The message stays in the outbox and continually tries to send.

Is anyone else having similar problems? Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,
Scott

If you have limit for incoming SMTP message set to 8MB, you cannot send a larger message from any e-mail client. All e-mail clients (inlude Outlook with KOC) use SMTP for message delivery. So the limit is valid for them too.

Of course, WebMail interface does not use SMTP, there is a size limit in PHP library (16 MB for attachment, 20MB for whole e-mail).

Knowledge Base: http://kb.kerio.com/.
Looking for technical support? http://www.kerio.com/support
  •  
sedell

I was told the Incoming limit only affects incoming mail... by support. Not mail that connected clients are trying to send. Even if this is the case, which I think would be better since I also would like to limit what my users send internally, KMS doesn't appear to be handling the rejection properly.

Scott

•  
Petr Dousa (Kerio)

bperkins wrote on Wed, 05 January 2005 14:15

The only issue I have with large attachments is with webmail. Apparently, you cannot send anything larger than ~17M over webmail (at least I couldn't). I could use Outlook or any other mail client and send the attachment successfully.

I assumed that KMS's equivalent to the php.conf file is set at ~17M for file uploads.

This value will be configurable in mailserver.cfg since KMS 6.1.0.

Petr Dousa
user experience designer, Kerio
  •  
waltspar

Note that incoming i.e. SMTP is from any direction - internal clients are still using SMTP to send to Kerio server, just like outside clients.

The limit is also set to "message" size - not "attachment" size. if you save the email out as an eml or msg file, you will see that it is much larger than the attachment due to the overhead. A 3meg file can make a message 4meg or more but the basic email may only be a few kbytes without it. Also html messages, RTF mesages and people using email forms may add a lot of size as well.

If you are using Kerio Firewall also, there is an option to limit sizes there as well under the Virus configuration.

Large attachments are better dealt with in FTP anyway. Kerios speed and most Email servers are based on "messages" and although attachments are permitted in all of them, it has gotten out of hand in recent years to where it has really put a tax on the email servers.

[Updated on: Wed, 05 January 2005 15:07]

•  
sedell

I did some further testing. It seems it is the message limit that is causing the problem. It appears KMS isn't handling the message limit rejection properly. I hope that gets fixed soon. Without size limits, users send ridiculous attachments, and our archives grow and eat up tremendous amounts of disk space.

Scott

•  
desquinn

what about quotas, as that would address your problem

Des Quinn
  •  
sedell

Our aim isn't to enforce quotas. We're not really worried about how much mail a user has. The issue is bogging the server with useless file transfers, and more so, archiving. Because of federal regulations, we now have to archive everything that goes through the mail server. The problem there, is that users send useless things through the mail, and send file interoffice to each other files that they can easily use the network for. Like cover art for a brochure, mechanical drawing files, ACT databases... they e-mail everything. No matter how many times we yell at them to NOT send files like that through e-mail, they do, then they reply, and it gets replied to again and again. Now, a 100 MB file takes up 600-700MB or more of archive space. Even smaller files like 10MB build up very quickly. Then there's the issue of having files replicate like rabbits on the network in personal folders instead of 1 in a shared folder. Trying to change user habits without something in place to force the issue is close to impossible... especially the ones who are barely computer literate. Without a message cap, our archives seem to grow exponentially.

Scott

•  
peterj

So what exactly is the issue here?

You wanted a message size limit and you have one...!!

•  
peterj

So what exactly is the issue here?

You wanted a message size limit and you have one...!!

•  
sedell

The problem is KMS doesn't handle the rejection properly. In some cases Outlook goes into a loop constantly trying to deliver. In others, the error message doesn't relate to a message limit. What does Could not find delivery transport have to do with message limits? Then there's the incorrect message to other SMTP servers.

>So what exactly is the issue here?

>You wanted a message size limit and you have one...!!

peterj

We are using KMS 6.0.6

I have tested using Thunderbird, Outlook Express 6, Outlook 2003 with KOC and Outlook 2003 using IMAP/SMTP.

I have had a correct response to the size limit being exceeded using all these clients.

Basically you get "552 5.3.4 Message too big (maximum 512000 bytes)"

The only slightly unclear message is when using KOC (6.0.5) and I got "Unknown Error" & had to look at the details.

Perhaps you have another configuration problem?

(Server O/S is win2003 server, clients are XP SP2)

Previous Topic: how to send email from other accounts ??
Next Topic: Public Contacts, accessable in Entourage 2004??
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Oct 26 09:29:58 CET 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02433 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.