Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » How to back up KMS for disaster recovery emergencies?
  •  
winkelman

Send a private message to this user
I know there are topics about backup (such as this or this one), but I want more clarification on the important matter of backups. So therefore this new topic.

There is a built-in backup option. However, the manual states:
Quote:

"The Backup directory contains the log of all messages that pass the MailServer. Its goal is to allow access to messages that have been deleted by the user, and to allow monitoring of mail. It should not be considered a fail-safe backup solution."

In other words: do not use the built-in backup for backup purposes. (Why then call it 'backup'?).

What, according to Kerio, needs to be done for backup is making a copy of some .cfg files and a 'file system copy' of the store directory. Ok, that can be done. But than Kerio advises not to do this with a live server.

What do they expect? That I daily down the server for a few hours to copy the stores many Gb's to somewhere else? Seems ridiculous.

Two questions:
  1. Are the created zip-files of the built in backup of any use for disaster recovery? Or might I just as well not use the built-in backup option at all?
  2. Would it really be BAD to let our backup infrastructure (Brightstore ARCServe Backup r11.5) create a copy of the store directory without stopping the server?

I really see no other realistic way of backing up than to backup the store directory with KMS running.

Some remarks or input please. Thanks!

PS: We do not have any disk imaging infrastructure, so that is not really an option.
PPS: As a first precaution the server already runs on a RAID-1 set.
  •  
teco

Quote:

PS: We do not have any disk imaging infrastructure, so that is not really an option.

My opinion: Good luck :)

Our way of "backup" additional to a daily image:

xcopy /V /I /R /C /M /Y /E Data-Dir Backup-Dir

We do this every 2 hrs. It copies all changed and new files to the backup directory. If some mails are not in the directory file we use hmail and their tools to import them.

Backup-Dir is on another computer. If the main system fails, we start our backup system...

Additional we copy all Files from KMS with another backup software to another drive.

There is another way to make stop and start of KMS automatic, but this is not a free information....

Quote:

PPS: As a first precaution the server already runs on a RAID-1 set.

Yes, can be used for HDD-Failture prevention, but it does not prevent if the mainboard or OS will be corrupt...
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

I think you've mixed up Archiving and Backup features. Archivation is not intended for disaster recovery whereas backup is.
More details can be found here: http://www.kerio.com/manual/kms/en/ch09s08.html

Answers:
1. Yes, ZIP files created by backup (not by archiving) are intended for disaster recovery.
2. I strongly DO NOT recommend create a copy of files without stopping the server. Such archive will contain inconsistent data and cannot be used for recovery of a message store.

BTW: Where in the manual did you find that notice about backup?
We would like to correct that.

[Updated on: Thu, 20 October 2005 17:44]

Knowledge Base: http://kb.kerio.com/.
Looking for technical support? http://www.kerio.com/support
  •  
gaug2

The problem is that the backup utilitie of KMS can just be done only three time a week.

What a say to my users if the KMS server crash the day I dont backup. Sorry we dont have your email from yesterday because we backup only 3 days a week!

There's certenly another way to backup every day without stopping the KMS server. Because if we stopping the server for two hours to do the backup, what will happen from the ingoing mails?

Someone have a answer?

Thanks.
  •  
peterj

The bultin backup can be done daily if you manually edit the mailserver.cfg

Search the forums - pavel posted the solution to this a couple of months ago I think.

HTH

Peter
  •  
winkelman

Kerio_pdobry wrote on Thu, 20 October 2005 17:39

I think you've mixed up Archiving and Backup features.

Well, I haven't mixed up :-) I was thrown off by your knowledgebase article (link below).

Answers:
1. Yes, ZIP files created by backup (not by archiving) are intended for disaster recovery.

Great! With the 'hack' to make it daily instead of three times a week this is good enough for me.

I know I saw an article or manual page somewhere describing how to restore from such (a) ZIP file(s). I can't seem to find it now.

Am I correct in assuming this ZIP archive is all that is needed to perform a full restoration? Besides the mail store it also includes the configuration files, user database, etc.?

BTW: Where in the manual did you find that notice about backup?
We would like to correct that.

Here (in the knowledgebase): http://support.kerio.com/index.php?_a=knowledgebase&_j=q uestiondetails&_i=2&nav2=Kerio%20MailServer
  •  
peterj

You use the kmsrecover.exe in the mailserver folder to restore from the backup zip file.

Surely this stuff is in the manual???
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

Dan - I apoligize, that KB article hasn't been edited since last August. We are updating KB articles, but that one slipped by. I will change it immediately.

Quote:

Am I correct in assuming this ZIP archive is all that is needed to perform a full restoration?

As the manual says (Chpt 9, section 8):

Use this option to back up all user folders together with the current Kerio MailServer configuration. It applies to the whole store data directory and users.cfg a mailserver.cfg files.

Cheers,
Joshua

[Updated on: Thu, 20 October 2005 19:24]

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
Kerio_jthomas

I have updated the article. http://support.kerio.com/kb/2

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
winkelman

Joshua (and others): thanks.

Maybe I was overreacting, but hey, data safety is above all the most important thing :-)
  •  
mdhmi

I have a script that stops KMS, creates a tarball of everything in the /kerio directory, restarts KMS, and then compresses the tarball. Is this not ideal?

Mark
  •  
sedell

Not really, because then Kerio is offline. Depending on your volume of mail, that could be a while. The built-in backup takes about 5-6 hours to run a full backup on our system because of the volume of mail. That would cause a lot of problems if the mailserver was down for that long, every night.

[Updated on: Thu, 27 October 2005 22:11]

Scott
Previous Topic: maybe some ideas...
Next Topic: KOC Auto Update
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 22 14:56:16 CET 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02565 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.