Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Installing on Gentoo... how?
  •  
glawrie

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

Does anyone know how I can get Kerio to install on a Gentoo Linux box? Installing the rpm utility and runnning with the install option does not seem to work, as it simply generates a list of dependencies that it thinks are not ssatisfied - but clearly they are.

Is it possible to get the distribution in tar format?
  •  
peterj

I'm a Windoze guy myself but I don't think that is a supported o/s...

Check the sysreq page...

•  
Kerio_ktrumbull

Gentoo is not currently a supported OS, and the MailServer software is not available in compilable format (in tar format).

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
Matri[X]

Tip:

You just have to extract rpm file to your / dir. Then you run /opt/kerio/mailserver/cfgwizard. Depending on your distro, you have to make it start at startup (as KMS is made to work on RH).

This should work on all linux distributions.
  •  
easiconseil

Matri[X

wrote on Wed, 23 November 2005 15:17]Tip:

You just have to extract rpm file to your / dir. Then you run /opt/kerio/mailserver/cfgwizard. Depending on your distro, you have to make it start at startup (as KMS is made to work on RH).

This should work on all linux distributions.

I know this tip, i try it under Debian Sarge and there many problems, KMS stop frequently without reasons, logs don't works, and sometimes KMS don't want to start with a mailserver.cfg configuration file error.

Redhat Fedora Core 4 is Free, and proposed by 90% of professionnal hosters, so there is no valable reasons to use non supported distro.

But of course, it will be wonderfull if Kerio Dev include Debian and Gentoo in supported Distro for next release :)

--
MaT
Courriel : mat<_at_>pnymail.com
--------------------------------
  •  
Matri[X]

I am running KMS on 2 debian "stable" servers without any problems (no crash in more than 60 days).
  •  
easiconseil

Matri[X

wrote on Thu, 24 November 2005 14:49]I am running KMS on 2 debian "stable" servers without any problems (no crash in more than 60 days).

You are lucky and me not :)

--
MaT
Courriel : mat<_at_>pnymail.com
--------------------------------
  •  
cohcon

Gentoo isn't supported, however Redhat and it's derivitives are.

I've been running it on Centos 4.1 (RHEL) since June with no OS related problems.

http://www.centos.org/

Cheers,
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

cohcon wrote on Mon, 28 November 2005 09:15

Gentoo isn't supported, however Redhat and it's derivitives are.

That's not quite true. RedHat 9.0+ / RHEL / Fedora Core is supported... but not other distros based on RedHat. CentOS, for example, is not supported.

In order for us to offically support an OS, we need to do extensive testing on it; and we need staff trained on that OS's particular quirks. For this reason the supported list is small, but slowly expanding.

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
cohcon

Sorry Josh, didn't mean to say that RH derivitives were supported, just that Kerio worked great for me on CentOS, white box, and pie box when I was testing...

I understand the problems associated with trying to build an app and have it run flawlessly on multiple OSes. As it is, I'm throughly impressed with the number of Oses that you do currently support.

cheers,

•  
drfli

I use Kerio Mailserver on Gentoo from wersion 5.0.x without problem. Just install the rpm with following command

rpm -Uvh --nodeps kerio-mailserver-6.1.1-linux.i386.rpm

thus it doesn't complain about dependencies (you have to ensure they are fulfiled).

Then you can use the following init.d script

#!/sbin/runscript
#
# /etc/init.d/keriomailserver  Script to start and stop Kerio MailServer 

depend () {
        need net
}

start() {
        [ -f ${KERIO_DIR}/mailserver ] || eend "Kerio MailServer not installed"

rm -f "${KERIO_PIDFILE}"
        ebegin "Starting Kerio MailServer: "

if [ -f /usr/local/bin/.uniprodloc ] ; then
                if [ -d `cat /usr/local/bin/.uniprodloc` ] ; then
                        export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`cat /usr/local/bin/.uniprodloc`/
ino/config:`cat /usr/local/bin/.uniprodloc`/ino/lib
                        . `cat /usr/local/bin/.uniprodloc`/scripts/envset
                fi
        elif [ -f /opt/CA/.uniprodloc ] ; then
                if [ -d `cat /opt/CA/.uniprodloc` ] ; then
                        export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`cat /opt/CA/.uniprodloc`/ino/config:`cat /opt/CA/.uniprodloc`/ino/lib
                        . `cat /opt/CA/.uniprodloc`/scripts/envset
                fi
        fi

start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec ${KERIO_DIR}/mailserver -- ${KERIO_DIR}
        eend $?
}

stop() {
        ebegin "Shutting down Kerio MailServer: "

start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --exec ${KERIO_DIR}/mailserver
        rm -f "${KERIO_PIDFILE}"

eend $?
}

restart () {

svc_stop
        sleep 5
        svc_start

}

it need following config file /etc/conf.d/keriomailserver

# Config file for /etc/init.d/keriomailserver

KERIO_DIR=/opt/kerio/mailserver
KERIO_PIDFILE=/var/run/keriomailserver.pid

•  
elvar

Thank you very much for sharing this information on how to get Kerio installed under Gentoo. I followed your instructions and they worked perfectly!

Kind regards,
Elvar
  •  
linuxcable23

i was able to do that also but had all kinds of problems what does kerio need to run on gentoo if i could please get a list of depends and vers of that it would be great thanks allot
  •  
drfli

If I remember correctly you need following packages containing necessary libraries

sys-libs/libstdc++-v3
sys-libs/lib-compat
sys-libs/lib-compat-loki
  •  
Mousee

linuxcable23 wrote on Wed, 06 June 2007 09:39

i was able to do that also but had all kinds of problems what does kerio need to run on gentoo if i could please get a list of depends and vers of that it would be great thanks allot

Sorry for the rather late reply to this thread - I never particularly found these forums all too very helpful (considering we use Gentoo which isn't supported by Kerio).

Last year I posted the following thread on the Gentoo forums, which details how you can go about getting a fully functional install of KMS working on a Gentoo distribution:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-523682-highlight-kerio. html

Please take note that those instructions apply to KMS version 5.x to 6.3.1. I haven't had a chance to upgrade to 6.4.1 yet due to time constraints, but I imagine it works just as well.
KMS currently works well with GCC versions 3.x to 4.1.2 , along with GLIBC version 2.5x (and possibly 2.4x, but I haven't tested it). Take note of the fact that GLIBC requires the "glibc-compat20" USE Flag in order to get the Webmail service/feature to function at all. Failure to compile with this USE Flag will result in an unstable KMS should anyone attempt to use Webmail.

I plan to update that thread as soon as I have the time with information regarding installation of the Linux KMS Administration Console. If you have any questions about the above, you'd be best off contacting me on the Gentoo forums, as I'm most active there.

Regards

[Updated on: Mon, 24 September 2007 21:30]

Previous Topic: How to disable lined out messages to be displayed in INBOX?
Next Topic: Connection lost
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Sep 22 18:11:25 CEST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00993 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.