Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KMS 6.5.2 and iPod Touch 2.0 (iTouch)
  •  
mpermann

Send a private message to this user
Can anyone confirm whether an updated Apple iPod Touch will sync calendar, contacts and e-mail to KMS 6.5.2 using the new ActiveSync support built into the 2.0 release? I can't seem to find any documentation stating it is supported on the iPod Touch. There is plenty stating it works with the iPhone, but I am worried Kerio may not be supporting it with the Touch. Has anyone had a chance to test it yet? Thanks.
  •  
HoosierMac

I did the mailserver.cfg hack for my v6.5.1 and my ipod touch syncs just fine. I set up imap for mail and then activesync for contacts/calendars.

-
HoosierMac Consulting
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.hoosiermac.com
  •  
NigelH

6.5.2 is out with better iPhone support however, you still cannot view attachments.

Kerio Mail Server 6.7.2 Build 7821
Mac OS X Server 10.5.8
  •  
mpermann

I'd like to avoid "hacking" the mailserver.cfg file if possible. I am really only interested in whether the Apple iPod Touch with 2.0 software will sync with KMS 6.5.2 wirelessly. I presume the iPhone with the 2.0 software will as Kerio has sent out marketing information that it is supported as well as added it to the supported devices on their webpage. They have been silent about whether the iPod Touch with 2.0 is a supported device for syncing wirelessly or not.
  •  
bigmountain

One of my clients has the iTouch. I was using the hack to allow communication until Kerio released 6.5.2. Before the release, his iTouch was syncing just fine (no different that the iPhone), but I was using the hack to allow unsupported devices. When I updated to 6.5.2, I changed my mailserver.cfg file back and now he is unable to connect and I receive an error message indicating that he is trying to connect with an unsupported device:

[15/Jul/2008 21:57:06] ActiveSyncRequest::Execute: Access denied for device Appl1B745EHDW4N (user: lee<_a.t_>byloo.com). The device 'iPod' isn't supported in this version

So, as I understand it the iTouch is using the exact same software and the only difference is being able to access the Edge/3G network, but under wi-fi, it should perform exactly like the iPhone. It doesn't make sense why they don't add it as a supported device, but maybe there is something in the software that causes some issues that we are unaware of. Perhaps it is just an oversight and they will add iPod/iTouch to the list of supported devices? The end result, as of now, is that unless I change my config to allow for unsupported devices again, my client will not be able to use his iTouch to sync with the server.

Preferred Kerio Partner and Hosting Provider - Now offering both Kerio Connect and Workspace hosting!
Visit us at www.bigmountaininternet.com
  •  
mpermann

bigmountain, thanks for your reply on your experiences with the iPod Touch. It sounds like we will be forced to use the "hack" to enable syncing with the iPod Touch. I just wish someone from Kerio would weigh in on the topic. It would be nice to know if/when it will be an officially supported device.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

iPod Touch is not officially supported in KMS 6.5.2 for one simple reason. It was not possible to test and verify iPod connectivity with KMS before July 11 (there was no beta like for iPhone) therefore we would not advertise support for something that we are not sure is working.
I believe all of you prefer rather stable and tested solutions to experimental untested ones.

Knowledge Base: http://kb.kerio.com/.
Looking for technical support? http://www.kerio.com/support
  •  
mpermann

Thanks for your reply Kerio_pdobry. I certainly do prefer stable and tested solutions over experimental ones. Are you willing/able to give an ETA for when we can expect official support for the iPod Touch? If it won't be long, I would prefer to put off my users for a week or two than to use the unsupported hack to the mailserver.cfg file. Thanks in advance.
  •  
Will Mayall

I am using an iPod Touch with the modification to the configuration file to allow it to be recognized for ActiveSync.

I have used it with the ActiveSync connection for mail, calendar, and contacts and it seemed to run fine with the known mail limitations.

I have switched to using IMAP for mail and turned off mail in the ActiveSync setting on the iPod Touch. This is a very good compromise.

Changes to the calendar and contacts seem to be updated extremely quickly at the server -- within seconds.

Will Mayall
  •  
mpermann

Will,
Thanks for your response. I'm hoping I'll be able to test the iPod Touch soon using the modification to the config file to enable syncing. I've tried my iPhone tonight and it works as advertised.
Mike
Previous Topic: Error Sending emails from Full-Featured
Next Topic: Kerberos Auth Question
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Oct 25 14:39:41 CEST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00873 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.