Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » To Sync or Push...
  •  
scottwilkins

Send a private message to this user
Hi all!

(I thought it was a neat topic title, say it a few times, it's catchy...)

I'm looking forward to the OTA sync with Windows Mobile devices in version 6.3.0. I know, I know, you may not think that due to some of my earlier rants on this version. But, faced with loosing WAP support I was convinced to upgrade my own cell phone, and let some of my users know they were soon to be without mobile e-mail unless they considered new devices. Oddly (i.e. not the norm) most of them were nice to the idea. Anyway, now my question...

I found a liking to the new Cingular 3125 phone and received mine this week. (also known as the HTA StarTrek) A very nice and capable Windows Mobile 5.0 based flip style phone. So far I'd recommend this phone very highly to anyone interested in the same function and form.

Now, I've got a decision to make. Either OTA sync, or push with Cingular's Xpress Mail client. I've been attempting to try the OTA and so far the only real problem is that this method is either manual, or consumes a LOT of battery power when scheduled. And, arrival of e-mails is not instant (or close to that), but rather on the scheduled time for the WM5 device. With Cingular's Xpress Mail client installed on a PC, I can push both e-mail messages and contact information with instant response and using a lot less battery power giving my cell phone much more life.

I'm still learning about the good/bad of both considerations, so I'm not sure which one to use yet... So, what's your opinion on this?

I have one idea, that is to request that Kerio's server add the ability for SMS messenging on new e-mail arrival, or to wait for off-line KOC ability to allow more client software to work properly with push technologies.

[Updated on: Wed, 01 November 2006 19:47]

•  
Kerio_ktrumbull

Update to WM 5.0 with AKU2 so that you can take advantage of the DirectPush technology. This will allow your items (Mail, Contact, Calendars, and Task) to be pushed to the phone as changes are made, rather than having to sync on a schedule.

You'd be surprised how old the WM 5.0 version is when the cell phone provider hands it to you (because the phones have been sitting in warehouses).

[Updated on: Wed, 01 November 2006 23:06]

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
scottwilkins

Kevin,

Thanks! I can't wait for the version supporting OTA sync to be released now.

I originally thought I knew a lot about active sync. Smartphones have changed that tool a lot recently. Do you know where the info in the system would be to see if my WM5.0 version has AKU2? Everything I've seen so far shows it's got the latest OS updates loaded already (yep, I was surprised it was up to date too)

It currently has:

OS 5.1.195 (Build 14955.2.3.0)

[Updated on: Fri, 03 November 2006 20:06]

•  
Kerio_ktrumbull

Scott, that device has AKU2. The last 3 numbers indicate which version you have. 2.2.x and above is AKU2. So that device should have the option to do push, rather than a scheduled sync.

(The following instructions are for a PocketPC device. I hope they are the same/similar for a WM5 SmartPhone)

On the device go to Start -> Programs -> ActiveSync. You should have Sync and Menu softkey options. Click on Menu and go to Schedule. Do you have options that say "Sync during"? If so, you should be able to set these to 'As Items Arrive'. The 'As Items Arrive' is essentially what DirectPush is.

Now when you change something on the server (Mail, Contact, Calendar, or Task) that change will be pushed to the device automatically. With my device it only takes a few seconds for the change to appear on my device. Meaning, if I am looking at the Main screen (which shows my Calendar events) and I create a new Calendar event today in KOC/Webmail, that automatically shows up on my device within a few seconds.

I hope this helps.

[Updated on: Fri, 03 November 2006 21:02]

Kevin Trumbull
  •  
scottwilkins

Kevin,

Thanks, OTA is getting exciting. I hope the version with this feature goes live before the end of the year. I'm a bit hesitant on installing betas into production environments.

Scott
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

6.3.0 will be out Real Soon Now Smile Seriously, it will be out very soon.

I do not recommend installing the Beta version in a production environment. Please always install Beta and RC versions in a testing environment.

Kevin Trumbull
  •  
scottwilkins

It's too bad the Blackberries are as proprietary as they are. It'd be nice if Kerio's server could push directly to them too. Or is that a possibility? Blackberries still hold the majority of the users in my relm. (Though I may be able to convert a few once 6.3.0 is live on our servers :) )
  •  
winkelman

Kerio_ktrumbull wrote on Fri, 03 November 2006 21:01

Scott, that device has AKU2. The last 3 numbers indicate which version you have. 2.2.x and above is AKU2. So that device should have the option to do push, rather than a scheduled sync.

I have 2.0.0 and still have DirectPush available. So while 2.2.x might be guaranteed to have AKU2, that WM5 version does not seem to be a minimum requirement.
  •  
willowsv

We have installed 6.3.0 Today.

It was working earlier it kept a connection open on the server for about 30 minutes and was pushing e-mail fine. Then the connection got dropped for whatever reason and it wont keep one open.

It seems to open a connection sync update the items and then the connection closes and new e-mail is not pushing though. It only updates when it can be bothered ( Once every 10 minutes or so? ) DirectPush is set to on in the comms manager of both devices and items are set to sync as they are recieved.

One of the other windows devices wont keep a connection open full stop it just checks every 10 minutes or so or when you force a send/recieve.
  •  
winkelman

Maybe your devices are set to hang up the GPRS connection when no data is being transmitted for some time? Since it's the server that is pushing the email/etc., the client device must stay connected at all times.
  •  
willowsv

Well I don't think that's the issue the GPRS connection is still active and not disconnected and I use MSN sometimes with large periods of no activity.

It just seems that the Direct Push connection is getting hung up or not establishing so its using a default time sync profile. Annoyingly it was working earlier for a good 50 minutes until it got disconnected now I cant get a Push Connection at all it only creates one on sync demand.
  •  
scottwilkins

I'm seeing the sync stoppage issue too. It syncs for a while when first setup, then quits.

The last error I got was a x85010014 on my SmartPhone.
  •  
scottwilkins

Problem seems to be fixed on OTA syncing, not sure why but it's working perfectly now. Or at least it must have been a carrier/phone issue. (not a user error, no no, of course not a user error, not at all, nope... :) )
Previous Topic: Kerio Mail server delaying mail received?
Next Topic: IE7 doen't work with Kerio 6.2.2?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 09:55:26 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00472 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.