Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KOC Locking up with Outlook 2003
  •  
jstrickland

Send a private message to this user
I have several PC's at my office that have Outlook 2003 with the latest service packs and updates. Each has KOC 6.2.2 installed. I am starting to have more and more cases where Outlook will just stop responding. All it takes is simply clicking on an e-mail, then the hourglass appears.

Sometimes, if Outlook is then left alone, everything will return to normal after 2-3 minutes. Other times, it never returns to normal until Outlook is forced to quit, then restarted.

Kerio Mail Server is running on a Mac with OS 10.4, G4 1GHz Processor, and 1GB of RAM. Is the problem that the server is getting bogged down, or is this a problem with KOC? We have Macs running Entourage in Exchange mode and they aren't experiencing any problems. I can increase the RAM to 2GB, but will that help?

I know people have had problems with past versions of KOC locking up. Is this still a common occurance? Is this something that is fixed in the 6.3 beta? I know I can pull the beta down and test it, but I can't really afford to replace my production server with a beta copy of software.
  •  
  •  
jstrickland

I have tried everything except the debugging log, which I will do now.
  •  
shaggie16

Definitely get the log over to Kerio, but......

Personally, I have not had problems with KOC locking up regularly for quite a while now.

A lot of my clients are running it in a similar configration to you (OS X server, windows clients with KOC.)

I have always tried to use a G5 for the mail server, rather than a G4. The biggest thing that affects KOC speed is the speed of the hard drive in the server. I assume the G4 has ATA-100 or ATA-133 hard drives, whereas the G5 has Sata or Sata II.

The more messages there are in the mail store, the more disk gnashing the server has to do everytime someone performs a folder operation within outlook. Do the crashes you are experiencing coincide with owners of large email folders?

M
  •  
jstrickland

What does Kerio consider a large folder? These users have between 1000 and 1500 messages in their inbox. Whenever the inbox gets above 1500 I usually have them archive emails older than 90 days. This gets them back down to about 1000.

Each person has McAfee VirusScan. I turned e-mail scanning off, which did significantly improve stability to the point that Outlook is no longer crashing 10 to 15 times a day, EVERY day. However. There will still be times where it will crash 3 or 4 times, once right after another, before becoming stable again.

Right now, I can't afford to replace the G4 with a G5. However, I can increase the RAM from 1GB to 2GB. Would that possibly help?
  •  
shaggie16

I would consider 1000 emails in a folder to be a large number - maybe I just have too much spare time on my hands and enjoy filing it all in different folders ;-)

Have a look in activity viewer on the G4 and see how much RAM is being used, that should give you an indicator whether an upgrade would help.

I do think though that the main problem you have is disk speed in the G4.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

McAfee EmailScan Outlook add-in (part of McAfee VirusScan) had some problems with stability and Outlook freezing in previous versions. Please make sure that you are using latest patches (Patch 14 for McAfee VirusScan 8.0i).
  •  
winkelman

jstrickland wrote on Mon, 06 November 2006 15:03

Right now, I can't afford to replace the G4 with a G5. However, I can increase the RAM from 1GB to 2GB. Would that possibly help?

Just check if the server is short on RAM or not. If not, adding RAM won't help. If so, it might help a bit, but KMS is really only very limited by disk speed. It does not need a lot of RAM.

You may not be able to replace the server, but you might be able to implement a faster disk subsystem. Perhaps an external RAID-10 solution (that would be ideal), or else a RAID-1 with faster drives then you currently have (but I would go for no less then 15.000 RPM disks for KMS).

(Of course, if you don't want disk redundancy you can use RAID-0 instead of RAID-10 or no RAID instead of RAID-1. I would recommend against RAID-5 for KMS, since write speed is slow(er).)
Previous Topic: Problem with iCal/AddressBook in Mac OS X
Next Topic: Evolution + Kerio
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 02:13:15 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00497 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.