Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Nextel phones
  •  
blphu

Send a private message to this user
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if Nextel phones (those that run the supported OSes by Kerio) will work with Kerio mail server?

I searched this forum but didn't find anyone using Nextel phones so just wondering.

Thanks,
Binh
  •  
Travis431

I have a I930. I believe it is supposed to work but i am having trouble installing the SSL certificate. Nextel says call Motorola, Motorola says call Nextel, and Kerio says call Phone provider.

•  
blphu

Thanks for your reply.

What SSL certificate were you referring to? Perhaps on the Kerio mail server? If so is it required to have one in order for mobile phones to sync with Kerio?

If that's the case, then I'd have to install it on my server because I'm currently running my mail server without one.

Thanks,
Binh
  •  
winkelman

blphu wrote on Wed, 08 November 2006 19:54

is it required to have one in order for mobile phones to sync with Kerio?

You only need a certificate if you want to use SSL encrypted syncing. Recommended of course. But not strictly neccesary.

I'm not sure if a self-signed certificate works. I use a self-signed certificate for HTTPS webmail, which works OK. Thusfar, OTA syncing seems to require an 'official' certificate. Could anyone comment on this?

(I get an error "invalid certificate" on my mobile device if I try SSL-OTA syncing. Non-SSL-OTA syncing works fine, but I disallow non-secure connections to KMS from the Internet.)
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

winkelman wrote on Wed, 08 November 2006 11:01

You only need a certificate if you want to use SSL encrypted syncing. Recommended of course. But not strictly neccesary.

I'm not sure if a self-signed certificate works. I use a self-signed certificate for HTTPS webmail, which works OK. Thusfar, OTA syncing seems to require an 'official' certificate. Could anyone comment on this?

(I get an error "invalid certificate" on my mobile device if I try SSL-OTA syncing. Non-SSL-OTA syncing works fine, but I disallow non-secure connections to KMS from the Internet.)

http://www.kerio.com/manual/kms/en/ch33s03.html

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
Travis431

The above link is says exactly how to install the certificate, however when i follow the steps to install it right after the I930 asks if i want to install I get and error that reads "Alert Security permission was insufficient to update your device". So I believe the problem is that the certificate is not installing.
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

Travis431 wrote on Wed, 08 November 2006 16:54

The above link is says exactly how to install the certificate, however when i follow the steps to install it right after the I930 asks if i want to install I get and error that reads "Alert Security permission was insufficient to update your device". So I believe the problem is that the certificate is not installing.

Kerio_pdobry has already answered this:

Quote:

Are you sure you have WM2003 in Nextel phone?
Because according to Microsoft, this error is only in WM 5.0. See http://msgoodies.blogspot.com/2005/11/solution-for-adding-ow n-root.html

You need to unlock your phone to be able to install new root certificate (or self-signed certificate from KMS).

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
Travis431

OK here it is. This link will help you install your certificate on the I930. Followed the steps and got my email sycning in less than 5 min.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=841060
  •  
Travis431

Oops, You need this link first. This link will give you the installer program and the previous link will give directions on how to use it.

Travis
  •  
Travis431

Sorry, forgot to paste the actual link.

Here is the link to the Root Certificate Installation Utility for Sprint iDEN Windows Mobile 2003 Smartphones http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=D5D EBD1C-FD62-44BA-813C-18660D9BFD49&displaylang=en

•  
blphu

Good findings.

Thanks,
Binh
  •  
Travis431

Yes the nextel I930 does work with Kerio. Yes the phone is running WM 2003 SE. No the phone does not have to be unlocked. I currently have 2 of them working perfectly.

Travis

email me at travis.beaupre<_at_>met-con.com if you want help
  •  
Travis431

Previous Topic: Kerios tabs not showing up in Outlook
Next Topic: Junk Mail... KMS 6.3.0 (although version doesn't matter)
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 21:52:59 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00523 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.