Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » New Install Help
  •  
MikeT

Send a private message to this user
I am just testing out KMS because I am supposed to move our mailserver from a Linux server to a Windows Based server, and this is proving to be quite a challenge.

The Linux server was originally setup by a ex-employee and he randomly stopped showing up to work, so it is hard for me to find certain information that I need to setup the KMS mail server without a hitch.

I was wondering if there is a guide somewhere in which I could follow as to help me get KMS working well on Windows Server 2000.

Some of the information I found on the linux server is as follows:
domain: localhost
imapServerAdress: localhost
imapPort: 143
smtpServerAddress: localhost
popBeforeSmtp: false
imapServerType: dovecot

I am also wondering if I can run KMS while the linux mail server is still running on the same domain.

Basically, I need a newbie's guide to setting up KMS :) Thanks!
  •  
MikeT

•  
willowsv

Download VMWare and install it on your machine and install an old copy of windows 2000 or XP ( as your not going to be uing it more than 30 days you dont need to bother activating it )

Install KMS6.3.0 trial and set it up.

You can ciopy the suers.cfg file over and toe STORE directory off your old mail server and the "Test" server should basically be how it is on your current linux server. If alls happy set up your new server with KMS and then when ready swap them out.
  •  
MikeT

So, am I installing VMware on the Linux server or on the Windows 2000 Server?

The Linux mailserver is running somewhere in the background on linux (I'm not very well versed in linux..)

I am sorry but I just don't see what installing a Virtual Machine would accomplish because I already have a Windows 2k server running fine.

Thanks for giving an answer though! :)
  •  
iigs

I think what willowsv is trying to say is that copying the users.cfg file and the store directory from the linux server to the new windows server should make them the same. You could test this with VMware if you want a clean server at the end of it.
  •  
willowsv

Yup there is nothing wrong with installing Kerio Mail server on a test server or virtual server copying filers over and see if it works.

While the Linux version does run as a background process so does the windows version.l It ju7st provides you with a nice task bar icon to help you start and stop the server.

You will prob find that once you have transferred over the .cfg files and the store directory the server will function pretty much as it should.
  •  
iigs

it works fine moving the store and users.cfg from linux to osx and vice versa, never tried the windows version personally., but it should work.

[Updated on: Mon, 20 November 2006 17:24]

•  
willowsv

Yes the STORE folder is non platform specific under if you have

STORE
---->DOMAIN
--------->USER
------------->INBOX
------------->OTHER FOLDER

etc

The Config File is XML and also non platform dependant.
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

I would like to note that Kerio MailServer is not supported in virtualized environments, such as VMware.

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
willowsv

Nothing is supported in VMWare I would imagine I wasn't proposing the user run his copy of KMS in a Virtual Environment but if you have never set up KMS on a Window server its an excellent way of testing how things *should* work.
  •  
MikeT

Alright, well, I don't use KMS on the Linux server so this really wouldn't get me anything what so ever, I suppose.

I am not sure what mail application is being used on the Linux server, I guess I will just have to do more of my own sleuthing.
  •  
MikeT

Previous Topic: Restrict send mail to specific host
Next Topic: Kerio performance
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 03:27:02 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00524 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.