Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KMS 6.3 + KOC + Windows Mobile = ?
  •  
cBorisa

Send a private message to this user
Dear Kerio team!
Before I consider buying Kerio server I would like to know if I'm able to use it in the following conditions:
Suppose I have KMS 6.3 installed and will make my users use Outlook 2003 + KOC.
Some of my users own WM-devices (now all of them are WM5.0). For now they use Activesync on PCs to synchronize data.
As KMS offers over-the-air synchronization (so called Exchange Activesync) I could make my users usiing it, but at the same time i wonder:
if they are by theirs PCs, will they be able to use Outlook2003 + KOC and PC Activesync? Will it work with Kerio server?
Especially when it comes to notes. Do you support handwriting notes now?

[Updated on: Tue, 21 November 2006 15:04]

•  
winkelman

Once you've setup 'OTA-Activesync', it's best not to sync locally with Outlook anymore. I mean, yes, you should create a partnership with 'PC Activesync', but you should turn everything off in that local profile (no calendar syncing, no email syncing, etc.). Thing is, 'PC ActiveSync' will still act as a conduit over which the 'OTA Activesync' will synchronize and it will also trigger the sync when connecting the device. (In essence, 'PC Activesync' is no more than an Internet-router in this setup.) So also doing a sync with a local Outlook/KOC would cause a double syncing with essentially the same data.

I would even recommend this setup for people who do not use the OTA Activesync (for example to avoid high GPRS costs). Setup the 'OTA Activesync' on the device, set it up not to sync automatically (Schedule 'Manually') so it will never do enything on it's own, and let the 'OTA profile' sync through 'PC ActiveSync' as described in the first paragraph.

In my experience, 'OTA syncing' (syncing directly to KMS) is much more robust than local Outlook/KOC syncing.

I don't know about the handwriting.
  •  
cBorisa

Thank you for your answer, winkelman.
Now the only issue is Notes synchronization - does it work with KOC? As i know there were some problems in earlier versions of KMS with it.

Winkelman, have you used Push technology? Does it work ok with Calendar, Contacts and e-mail in KMS?
  •  
winkelman

I can't sync notes, this option is not available in ActiveSync on my Qtek 9100 WM5 smartphone. I've got a feeling this is a OTA-Activesync limitation though, notes are available on PC-Activesync.

I don't know of any Notes sync problems, I don't use them.

DirectPush:
Yes, I use DirectPush (as MS calls it :). Works fine for Email, Calendar, Contacts and Tasks. I haven's tested it thoroughly, but I've got a feeling Email-push only works with the INBOX, not with any other mail folders I've setup for syncing. Mind you, those other mail folders do sync OTA when I manually press the 'Sync-button' on my mobile. Sent mail also gets stored nicely in the Sent Items on the server as well.
  •  
cBorisa

Thank you, winkelman!

Last night I had a chance to deploy a trial version of KMS 6.3 on a test server. So i discovered the following (just in case somebody is interesting):
Test server: WM2003 SP1 + KMS 6.3 (trial)
Test worskation: WM2003 SP1 + Outlook 2003 SP2 + ActiveSync 4.2
Test mobile device: Qtek 9100 with WM5.0 AKU 2.3

I set up mobile device to use OTA (Exchange Activesync) and was able to sync everything over Wi-Fi (the only problem I've faced was time zone differeces - see PS1 bellow). Everything OK

My test workstation works prefect with KOC.

DirectPush works great. This is good.

As for notes: Microsoft didn't include Notes in Exchange Activesync technology. I don't know why but this is it. So if you use notes you have to sync them using PC activesync. And here is where was a problem):
I've created some notes at the test mobile device. Then I plugged in the device to the USB. Activesync told me I have a new device and let's start partnership. I did that and select to sync only Notes, Files and Favorites. All other items were marked to sync using Exchange server. And I WASN'T able to sync notes. My Active sync freezed and couldn't sync (unresolved items). After a while I've noticed I still have notes at the mobile device, but all of them are blank.
So I deleted all notes and reconnected the device. Now syncrhonization was completed successfully.
I've did the oposite thing - created several notes in Outlook (with KOC) and tried to sync them, but no luck. The only way I could fix it is to make it one by one - it was o.k. But if you have a lot of notes - be patient.

PS1: I live in Russia and here we have week number counting starting from January 1. Kerio uses First week with 4 days as the start of week counting. So I recieved numerous errors with Birthdays and other all day events.
  •  
willowsv

When you set up an Exchange Server on a device Activesync disables local syncing via Activesync.

When you sync it says exchaneg server and the sync is done over the active pc internet connection.
  •  
cBorisa

willowsv, it's not all like that. It only disables synching of contacts, tasks and calendar (for WM5.0 device). All other options are still available (notes, files, favorites, media)
  •  
willowsv

Sorry that's what I meant once you have set mail up to sync with Kerio you can sync mail locally via active sync.

ditto Contacts you can of course sync anything you haven't chosen to sync.

What makes it interesting is that I seem to be able to select on the phone what folders I want to sync BUT it only lets me sync mail with Kerio. If I choose to sync other folders it comes up with "Error in Synchronisation"

Something MS might have added that Kerio might need to look into.
  •  
cBorisa

I've got a reply from Kerio support. They told me that the only synchronization supported is OTA. Man can't sync via Activesync and KOC. So that's the answer for me. Hope it will be implemented in future versions
  •  
willowsv

Thats a rather odd reply from Support.

Syncing via Outlook over KOC is and has been possible for quite a while.

You cant Sync mail OTA AND though Activesync/KOC at the same time. If you want to use Sync via active sync and outlook you cant use the OTA Exchange Sync function. Thats the restriction and there's nothing Kerio can do about that.
  •  
cBorisa

I believe they ment something else but here is the full text:

We support only Over the Air synchronization for ActiveSync devices. We don't support local synchronization between ActiveSync devices and MS Outlook with Kerio Outlook Connector.
It would be possible to try to use Kerio Synchronization plug-in instead of Kerio Outlook Connector. I mean You can create new profile in MS Outlook with IMAP access to Kerio MailServer and use Kerio Synchronization plug-in for Notes synchronization between this profil and Kerio MailServer. It will be local MS Outlook profile and you will be able to use it for synchronization with your mobil device via PC ActiveSync. For common work you could still use MS Outlook with Kerio Outlook Connector.
  •  
willowsv

Most odd!

I cant test it at the moment but im pretty sure local sync over Activesync and KOC works fine.

AFAIK it just interacts with Outlook and just uses whatever is in the Default Mail Location.
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

The terms 'supported' and 'may work' are two separate things. Desktop sync 'may work', but right now desktop sync with KOC is not officially supported by technical support.

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
Previous Topic: How do I disable SpamAssassin?
Next Topic: Q&A: Do you support...
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 19:25:09 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00501 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.