Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio performance
  •  
kbechler

Send a private message to this user
Hi all,

I've got Kerio installation with ~300 users.
My hardware is:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz,
4 gigs of RAM,
RAID5 on Adaptec SATA controller,

top says: "load average: 9.72, 6.13, 4.07"
This is the "normal" load of this machine.

Is there any way to increase performance of this installation? It is a bit slow now :(

Many thanks,
Konrad
  •  
winkelman

I would say yYour CPU and RAM seem to be fine for the job. Make sure your store stays defragmented and buy the fastest disks-subsystem your money can buy. (SATA and RAID5 isn't all that fast, RAID-1, better yet RAID-10 and 15kRPM SCSI drives are a lot faster in these circumstances (lot's of random small, parallel, file reads and writes).)

[Updated on: Wed, 22 November 2006 11:45]

•  
Kerio_ktrumbull

I agree with winkelman. I highly advise against RAID5. Go with RAID1, or if you can afford it, I highly recommend RAID10 with high performance drives.

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
kbechler

Hi,

I've done some investigation.
All data, except e-mails were moved to another drive, so now i can see what is happening on drive contains users messages.

This is a bit strange situation, because this drive has got a lot of writes (much more than reads). I attach iostat results. Sometimes CPU utilisation for handling hdd's reaches 100%.

Could someone explain me, what kerio server does? What are these writes for?

Please note, i have write cache disables on my hdd controller (i do not have battery backup for this). I will install such HW, but i'd like to know, where these write request came from.

P.S. Please forgive me my bad english. This is not my native language :)

--
Konrad

• Attachment: kerio.txt
    (Size: 1.83KB, Downloaded 364 times)
  •  
kbechler

Hi,

It looks that huge number of writes to disk with users messages are generated by "changing" status.fld files, when user is accessing specific folder.

After short investigation it looks also, that there is no physical changes in the file, but mtime of this file changes every time user access folder.

Can anyone help and explain what is the reason of such behaviour of kerio mailserver. Is there any possibility of disabling such action.

This behavious creates huge impact to performance of kerio mailserver.

--
Despered Konrad
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

kbechler wrote on Thu, 23 November 2006 01:15

It looks that huge number of writes to disk with users messages are generated by "changing" status.fld files, when user is accessing specific folder.

That issue has been resolved in 6.3.0. This is one of the things that was done in 6.3.0 to help improve performance.

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
Previous Topic: New Install Help
Next Topic: How do I disable SpamAssassin?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 16:48:20 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00454 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.