Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Over-the-air Activesync with Public Folders
  •  
bkmurphy

Send a private message to this user
The documentation indicates that Kerio has a feature I know many people have been waiting years for on Exchange - the ability to sync to public folders. We share a common Calendar and Contacts folder (that are setup as Public Folders) that we want to sync to our Windows Mobile devices. I tried 6.3, but all it syncs is the Contacts and Calendar folders in the Inbox. Anyone know how to configure this so you can sync other folders, including public ones? Thanks.
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

Due to limitations in the ActiveSync protocol and the Windows Mobile devices, it is not possible to sync public Contact and Calendar folders (although you can sync Public mail folders).

Please note this is not a limitation of Kerio MailServer.

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
bkmurphy

It would be nice if you guys could come up with a work around since I think this would be a fairly typical use. Is there anyway to sync User folders with Public Folders, which would then overcome the ActiveSync limitation?
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

We do not develop the Windows Mobile operating system, nor the Pocket Outlook product, so we would not be able to develop a workaround. Please contact Microsoft to request support for this on the Windows Mobile operating system so that we can do what we need to on our end.

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
willowsv

Interestingly enough my Pocket PC seems to give me the option to "mark" what mail folders I want to synchronize even though its set to OTA exchange. Selecting anything other that in box though just comes up with "Synchronization Error"
  •  
Nixs

Your website has a video showing how with active sync and Windows Mobile 5.0 one can sync up public contacts and calendars.

It's on your website. Two of us watched the video last Friday.

I can't figure out how to do this either.
  •  
Brian (GFI/Kerio)

There is no synchronization of public calendars or public contacts.

It is possible to connect to any public or shared email folder.

It is also possible to query against public or shared address books using the 'search online' option.

Brian Carmichael
Instructional Content Architect
  •  
bkmurphy

I doubt there is any way to do this now, but I think the solution arounds Microsoft's limitations would be to allow a Kerio admin to specify a particular Public Folder (Contacts or Calendar) to act as a user's default Contact or Calendar folder found in their Inbox. Is there some technical hurdle that would prevent this type of setup?
  •  
willowsv

Well that would mean you would loose the ability to see your standard e-mail which is the whole point or personal e-mail sync.
  •  
willowsv

Could you not add a dummy user and add replace the "INBOX" and "CONTACTS" folders with symbolic links to the public folders in question?

Or would Kerio notice this.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 December 2006 20:06]

•  
bkmurphy

I would just want to have symbolic pointer for the default Calendar and Contacts folders, so you could have multiple users share contacts and a calendar (which is typically the purpose of using Public Folders), but still maintaining their own mail Inbox which would get synced as well.
  •  
willowsv

Yeah I know but as you pointed out without a rewrite of KMS so they can change which folders are synced.

What I meant was to set up a dummy users with symbolic links to the public folders then people could have their own mailbox but use the dummy users details to sync and get the public stuff.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Please do not use symbolic links or any similar "hacks". It will break ActiveSync synhronization and will not work.

Windows Mobile devices have only one calendar and address book. This is a limitation on the device.
  •  
willowsv

This is what I cant understand

I just set up a brand new phone running Pocket PC 5.

The phone has not been synced with anything yet when you look under Outlook E-Mail it lists all the folders including the users AVG Antivirus Vault folder.... but everything else except the inbox is empty.

If I goto Tools > Manage folders i get a screen with teh following text.

Select Folders for syncronisation. to Create or modify folders, tap and hold a folder

If I select half a dozen folders and attempt an OTA sync I get the following errors in the control panel.

[12/Dec/2006 15:31:11] FolderName.cpp: Empty folder name (user=user<.a.t.>domain.com, protocol=HTTP)
[12/Dec/2006 15:31:11] ASyncAirSync.cpp: ActiveSyncAirSync::ProcessCollection: Unable to open folder with CollectionId: 097df79f-c9f3-436b-894d-539c856da903
[12/Dec/2006 15:31:16] FolderName.cpp: Empty folder name (user=user<.a.t.>domain.com, protocol=HTTP)
[12/Dec/2006 15:31:16] ASyncAirSync.cpp: ActiveSyncAirSync::ProcessCollection: Unable to open folder with CollectionId: 097df79f-c9f3-436b-894d-539c856da903
[12/Dec/2006 15:31:33] FolderName.cpp: Empty folder name (user=user<.a.t.>domain.com, protocol=HTTP)
[12/Dec/2006 15:31:33] ASyncAirSync.cpp: ActiveSyncAirSync::ProcessCollection: Unable to open folder with CollectionId: 097df79f-c9f3-436b-894d-539c856da903
[12/Dec/2006 15:31:37] FolderName.cpp: Empty folder name (user=user<.a.t.>domain.com, protocol=HTTP)
[12/Dec/2006 15:31:37] ASyncAirSync.cpp: ActiveSyncAirSync::ProcessCollection: Unable to open folder with CollectionId: 097df79f-c9f3-436b-894d-539c856da903
[12/Dec/2006 15:31:51] FolderName.cpp: Empty folder name (user=user<.a.t.>domain.com, protocol=HTTP)
[12/Dec/2006 15:31:51] ASyncAirSync.cpp: ActiveSyncAirSync::ProcessCollection: Unable to open folder with CollectionId: 097df79f-c9f3-436b-894d-539c856da903
[12/Dec/2006 15:31:56] FolderName.cpp: Empty folder name (user=user<.a.t.>domain.com, protocol=HTTP)
[12/Dec/2006 15:31:56] ASyncAirSync.cpp: ActiveSyncAirSync::ProcessCollection: Unable to open folder with CollectionId: 097df79f-c9f3-436b-894d-539c856da903

Something seems to be broken here :(

[Updated on: Tue, 12 December 2006 17:19]

willowsv

Ok I can get it to sync mail folders under the users standard folders ( Sub folders of Inbox, subfolders of root etc )

If you select any Public Mail Folders the phone says "Error Syncronising" and the control panel throws more dodgy error messages.

[12/Dec/2006 16:06:08] FolderName.cpp: Empty folder name (user=user<.a.t.>ourdomain.com, protocol=HTTP)
[12/Dec/2006 16:06:08] ASyncAirSync.cpp: ActiveSyncAirSync::ProcessCollection: Unable to open folder with CollectionId: 8853b8d7-6da1-449b-ad8c-b70f47e0f7fc

It would appear something is wrong with Public Folder Syncronisation.

[Updated on: Tue, 12 December 2006 17:08]

Previous Topic: KMS 6.3 and eTrust SCM on same PC
Next Topic: Other functionality differences - KOC vs Outlook->Exchange?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 01:36:59 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00572 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.