Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Linux or Win32 to Host?
  •  
equis

Send a private message to this user
Hello

I have a CentOS 4.4 server and a Windows 2003 server that I can put Kerio on.

What one would be recommended (is native)?

Thanks
  •  
papason

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Please respect the list of system requirements: http://www.kerio.com/kms_requirements.html

Otherwise it could be difficult to get help from technical support if KMS is running on unsupported system.
  •  
tpalmieri

Kerio Support Folks,

This recent question reminded me of two requests I have made in the past (by email), and would like to reiterate (by forum).

1. I would like to see Kerio begin to provide RPMs for its supported Linux distros built for 64-bit (in addition to 32-bit). I realize that this is not trivial, as it may require some code fixes, but I know that I would like to be able to move my mail server to the same base OS as I use for other purposes (namely 64-bit Linux), and although I can make it work by installing the appropriate 32-bit RPMs for libraries and such, I would rather not have a "hybrid" system if I can help it. Is this on the plan?

2. I have spent the last 3 years having this "argument" with many other folks, and I have won a surprising number of those...so, I thought I'd try here. My assertion is this: CentOS has proven itself to be exactly like the stable and released version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux that it is based upon. Unlike some other distros, this one is re-built from the source code as provided by Red Hat, and has very little changes in it (e.g. they eliminate RH's update scheme, and add a "yum" one) from the original RH product. So, my argument is that if you can support the "wilder" and "more bleeding-edge" RH variant known as Fedora Core (and I am sure Fedora gives you some problems sometimes), then why can we not also see you support folks who wish to use CentOS, which is much easier to support given how nearly identical to RHEL it truly is? Is this something that you guys will consider?

Thanks in advance for your time...and please let me know if there is anything I can do to assist Kerio with the issues I have outlined above. I am a very satsified Kerio customer, and I would have no problem contributing to making it even better!
  •  
mosegaard

papason wrote on Fri, 22 December 2006 10:05

Linux.

Windows! ;-)

/h
  •  
scottwilkins

mosegaard wrote on Thu, 28 December 2006 22:10

papason wrote on Fri, 22 December 2006 10:05

Linux.

Windows! ;-)

/h

Windows.
  •  
mergy

Linux.

Look at it from a cost point of view. If you only have MCSEs working for you, then you really don't have a choice and your company is already in lock-in, and so you probably don't really want an answer that differs from your reality.

But, if you really want to look at the costs and do an actual comparison, you should call up your local MS Rep and ask them how many more CALs you will need since you will be having your users connecting to the server to hit email.

This was very effective a few years ago when we were evaluating Lotus Notes on Redhat or Windows. When the MS rep told me I would need to buy additional licenses for connections even though I was not using MS software for email, it made the cost comparisons hilarious.

Jonathan
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

Kerio MailServer will not consume CAL's.

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
mergy

I agree it SHOULD not.

But, I encourage you to call MS and ask. Machines are connecting to the Windows server to access Kerio.

Jonathan
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

Kerio MailServer does not consume CAL's. If it did, every single one of our Windows customers would be breaking the M$ licensing agreements. Do you think some of our 10,000 seat customers have 10,000 CAL's?

Of course M$ is going to tell you it does, that's how they make money. But unfortunately they are not familiar with the Kerio MailServer product, and therefore do not understand how the connections are made. The connections are not made to the operating system, they are made to the application.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 January 2007 04:26]

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
scottwilkins

It's real simple, if the user requests Windows Server logins to access Windows shares/resources, then you require a CAL. Kerio is not a Windows resource and the users do not log into Windows Server, they login to Kerio's proprietary software system which resides on a layer above the server OS. So, no, no Windows CALS are needed for any Kerio based service.

For that matter, I don't believe that Windows "Server" is required either. I think it will run on Windows XP Home, maybe even Windows 98.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 January 2007 04:59]

•  
campodoro74

So you're saying I can install KMS on a linux server but use Active Directory on our existing Windows 2003 domain server for authentication without paying for any extra license, except for 1 CAL I would need for AD lookups from the linux 'client' ?
  •  
scottwilkins

campodoro74,

Well, to start with Windows Server 2003 comes with 5 CALs out of the box. And, if you are already using it for a domain server, you must already have all the CALs needed for all your users already. Last, Kerio's Active Directory plugin has no impact on CALs or their usage. It's just a link into the user database for Server 2003's AD store.

If you can put a user in AD and they can login, you can share that login info with Kerio. Though I'm not sure that the AD plugin will work with the Linux Kerio, in that it might not be able to link into the AD info. It might, I just don't know. We'll need more input from Kerio on that one.

One problem I have with Kerio's AD plug in is that my AD domain is "business.local" and my e-mails are "business.net", so the plug-in won't work in that scenario because the domains don't match. At least I haven't been able to get it to work.

Does that help?

•  
campodoro74

scottwilkins:

That's usefull info, thank you. In fact, I gave it a try and installed KMS on Suse Linux 10.1 with AD authentication and it works.

I had the same problem with my domain being company.local and my mail domain company.net.

But that's easily resolved since you can specify a Active Directory domain name under:

Domains -> domain.net properties -> Directory Services -> "AD domain name is different than this mail domain name" -> domain.local

And that works!
scottwilkins

Wouldn't be the first thing I missed in Kerio :)

Thanks!
Previous Topic: Method for preventing users from forwarding all mail to off-site accounts?
Next Topic: Outlook 2007 Connector Beta Test?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 05:23:41 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00571 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.