Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Searching e-mail body via KOC, advanced find
  •  
Nixs

Send a private message to this user
Can someone verify this for me..

Select a folder in your KOC, such as inbox. Select advanced find. You can right click on the folder to get this, or do this under "options" on search, or type in control shift F.

In advanced find, select something that is in your e-mail message bodys in the "search for the word(s)".

Now, select "frequently-used text fields" in the "IN" option.

Select "Find Now".

On my PC, with XP SP2, Outlook 2003 latest SP, KOC latest version - this works. I can search message bodys via KOC.

This work for others as well? I tested on 3 PC's here and they all worked. It's not much, but it's better than installing WDS or Lookout, imo.
  •  
apsistemas

Confirmed this kind of search doesn't works

"your request for this feature to our suggestion database. Please note we do not have a time frame on if or when this feature may be available"

Please send to the support your request to ask this feature for ou clients is very important ...

Regards.
  •  
Nixs

That is odd. It DOES work on my PC, and on all the others we have KOC installed onto. (No POP3/IMAP)
  •  
apsistemas

You mean you can search some text in the Body using the KOC and you find it??

Please explain how ...
  •  
sedell

Yeah, please do. That doesn't even work with IMAP.

Scott
  •  
mike-p

WOW.... It does work just as Nixs said.
Linux Fedora 3
Kerio 6.3.1
Outlook 2003 SP2
XP Pro latest patches etc

Example of word used "amend" and it found it in inbox and sub folders of inbox. Plus variations of that word "amendment" etc.

Mike

[Updated on: Thu, 05 April 2007 22:46]

•  
Nixs

I already explained how to do it.

Here's a video showing it working. We do this on a number of PC's. It's something I'd discovered and showed to our folks who think that not being able to search in Kerio using basic find really sucks. This is a work around;

http://oasisfireandice.com/KOC advanced find.wmv

Your browser should replace the spaces with %20

You'll want to use Windows to view this. The quality is low - view full screen (alt enter.) I will delete it SOON because it has my e-mail address in it.

You can do it with IMAP -- Lookout and WDS 2.6 both do it. And why couldn't you? If I was writing the software, I'd just download every e-mail and scan for the text you want to look for, eh?

•  
sedell

Nixs wrote on Thu, 05 April 2007 16:55

You can do it with IMAP -- Lookout and WDS 2.6 both do it.

We've had people using Lookout and other indexing search tools for Outlook. They destroyed server performance to the point people kept getting connection errors or getting disconnected entirely. I was on with tech support for days debugging connection failures and error messages that turned out to be a result of extreme load on the server due to the indexing with a lack of any caching in KOC. Outlook plug-ins that index mail are something I won't use again with KOC... the server couldn't keep up.

IMAP was problematic too. It only works if you have the entire mail store downloaded. Trying to get users to understand that is harder than it would seem... especially when they know it used to work with other servers they connected to.

Nixs wrote on Thu, 05 April 2007 16:55

If I was writing the software, I'd just download every e-mail and scan for the text you want to look for, eh?

I would too, but we've been waiting for over 2 years for that.

Scott
  •  
apsistemas

Thanksfor your HELP !! I was worried abut this feature and thinking to change the Mail Server because the users need this search option.

I have send an email to KERIO support explain you solution they said this feature doesn't exist and you find it !!!!

Thanks again !!!
  •  
Nixs

sedell makes a good point. We have 70 (of 380) users on a very powerful server, and we are already suffering performance issues.

The timing doesn't sound right for it to be these search pieces, as the problems occur at 6pm each night, while the people with WDS installed or that know about searching have rebooted their computer before 6pm and are gone. The search software doesn't do any indexing if you aren't logged in.

But we are re-evaluating based on what sedell said to see if it is the searching causing the slowdown.
  •  
rinzwind

Lookout only indexes the first time and after that only the new messages, so it should be possible to use this.
I wonder why Kerio needs so long to make a full text search possible. It should be possible to implement this at least in Kerio webmail (they know the ins and outs, where MAPI is closed technology :()
There are some good indexing projects for Apache webserver.
  •  
sedell

rinzwind wrote on Fri, 04 May 2007 08:43

Lookout only indexes the first time and after that only the new messages, so it should be possible to use this.

That's not really true. If you watch the way Lookout works through debug logs on KMS, you'll see this isn't the case. It indexes the message the first time. After that, every time the scheduled indexing runs, it checks every message to see if it's still there, and looks for new messages. The indexing itself isn't really the problem, since a message only gets indexed once, it's all the checks to look for new messages and see if indexed messages still exist.

Scott
  •  
campodoro74

Nixs wrote on Wed, 03 January 2007 18:17

Select a folder in your KOC, such as inbox. Select advanced find. You can right click on the folder to get this, or do this under "options" on search, or type in control shift F.
In advanced find, select something that is in your e-mail message bodys in the "search for the word(s)".
Select "Find Now".

Just checked this and it works indeed, using WinXP Pro SP2 with Outlook 2003 SP2. Thanx!!
  •  
rinzwind

It ain't working in Outlook 2000. Outlook 2007 can search in the body (it's indexing the e-mail just like Lookout).
Don't have Outlook 2003 installed. I don't think it works because otherwise they would certainly advertise it...
Maybe you have some kind of search indexer installed?

[Updated on: Thu, 21 June 2007 13:11]

•  
elias

campodoro74 wrote on Thu, 21 June 2007 03:21

Nixs wrote on Wed, 03 January 2007 18:17

Select "Find Now".

Just checked this and it works indeed, using WinXP Pro SP2 with Outlook 2003 SP2. Thanx!!

Interesting. I can confirm that this works too. However, I would highly suggest you not tell your users that this works. There doesn't appear to be any indexing involved and Outlook seems to just be opening each message one at a time to search the text so on large folders this will be performance killer. I think you'd be much better off using Lookout or other similar tool with a conservative or manual update schedule than searching with this method. But certainly in a pinch, it does seem to work.

-Elias
Previous Topic: KMS' features under OS X
Next Topic: Configure LDAP for Evolution
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 20:43:44 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00554 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.