Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Method for preventing users from forwarding all mail to off-site accounts?
  •  
SethL

Send a private message to this user
Is there a way to prevent a user, or all users of a given domain, from creating a filter that forwards their mail to an off-site account?

Seth Long
Sound Publishing, Inc.
Tacoma, Washington
  •  
Anonymous
  •  
SethL

Too bad. I suppose we could block DNS access to popular webmail services, but that's a constant fight. Ah well. Thanks.

Seth Long
Sound Publishing, Inc.
Tacoma, Washington
  •  
Lyle M

Hi Seth,

Can you give a little background on what you really want out of this? There may be other angles from which a solution can be achieved.

All the best,
Lyle
  •  
SethL

I'd like to prevent users from forwarding all of their mail to their preferred webmail service, which means we lose their replies and lose the security of keeping the messages in-house. It's not a huge issue but it could be.

Seth Long
Sound Publishing, Inc.
Tacoma, Washington
  •  
Lyle M

Gotcha. So you're archiving the incoming messages but wish to do the same with the employee's reply?

I don't have a wiz-bang or elegant solution for this, but I'll toss out some ideas that might help.

First, if you have management backing on this, toss out a policy restricting this behavior (if you haven't already). It's always good to have policies in place before taking action.

Now, if you have a good script-writer in house, you can scan the users' "filter.siv" file, which is where I believe their forwarding filter is stored. If you know the pattern, you should be able to quickly locate which users have forwarding in place. Some OS's likely already have content indexed searches built-in to make this easy.

I could suggest having the script-guy strip the forwarding filter from the filter.siv file, but Kerio would frown on directly messing with their config files. It would be interesting to put a read only lock on filter.siv and see if it keeps the user from modifying it at all. That's heavy handed, but might do the trick for repeat offenders.

Of course, anything you try you should test off-line first. I've never tried these approaches (except modding a filter.siv file by hand) and cannot vouch for their effectiveness or safety. [add additional disclaimers here]

Also, there are various web usage tracking/filtering appliances out there that have the ability to block external web mail servers. It is not without precedent to utilize such an approach. Just don't expect to be very popular with your co-workers! :-)

Good luck. I'm interested to hear how things turn out.

-Lyle Millander
Previous Topic: Connection fails
Next Topic: Linux or Win32 to Host?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 15:10:22 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00488 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.