Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Novice question.
  •  
smithyz

Send a private message to this user
I am in the process of setting up Kerio on an xp prof box at home.
once it is setup and I am able to configure outlook on my other pcs on the lan, how do I configure Kerio so pcs can connect to it using outlook across the internet.
What I mean is, is the pop3 and smtp servers accessible to remote pc's?
  •  
rleslie

you need to create a mapped ip from the internet to your 'mail server'. this is done in your router. you will however need to have a static ip assigned by your ISP. You then map your public ip to the ports you use for email, such as port 25 for smtp, port 110 for pop3 and port 143 for imap (if you use imap).

if its a linksys router, i believe its under port forwarding.

hope this helps.
  •  
smithyz

I know how to forward ports but what exactly do you mean by mapped ip. I am using dyn dns to give me a domain name of myname.homeip.net

What do I tell Kerio to use? mynam.homeip.net, my public ip address or my router ip address?
  •  
smithyz

oh yeah, I don't have static ip, hence using dyndns
  •  
rleslie

mapped ip is basically a one-to-one nat. you're mapping a public ip to your private ip at home. or you can do it by ports...telling your router any traffic destined for port 25 at your public ip goes to the private ip of your mail server.

i've never actually used dynamic dns myself, but i suppose you could tell your router any traffic destined for such and such domain goes to port 25 of your private ip of your mail server.

you would also have to set up an mx dns record somewhere to have your email server except email from the outside.

hope this helps
  •  
smithyz

Thanks for your help. I have an idea what needs dooing now. I will try it tonight
  •  
Nixs

You have two DNS servers. The DNS service for your dDNS, and the DNS service for your domain.

So you'd have mydomain.com and mydomain.dyndns.org.

On mydomain.com, point the mx record to mydomain.dyndns.org.

Or you could just use joe<.a.t.>mydomain.dyndns.org, but I assume that's not what you are after.

If you are using mydomain.com, then Kerio would use that. The MX record would be what directs e-mail to your PC.

If you /are/ using mydomain.dyndns.org (joe<.a.t.>mydomain.dyndns.org), then that is what Kerio would use. Not just dyndns.org, but the full mydomain.dyndns.org is your "domain" name. Your host would be kerio.mydomain.dyndns.org for example.

Of course, your email server has to be on 24/7. If you leave your mail server off over night, expect to loose e-mail. Mailhop is a good service to get past this issue; http://www.dyndns.com/services/mailhop/
Previous Topic: address change
Next Topic: cannot send mail becase eicar test string
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 16:51:42 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00394 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.