Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Install FuzzyOcr for SpamAssassin
  •  
mkjellman

Send a private message to this user
Hey there- found this great plugin that looks to solve the only spam that is getting through right now. I have been trying to figure out how to install this but it seems quite a bit has changed with the kerio install..

http://fuzzyocr.own-hero.net/

anyone have any ideas how to go about installing this plugin? i'm wondering if i install the perl plugins on the system, if kerio will also see those?

best,
mike
  •  
vertex

I am finding it to not be so easy to get orctext working(haven't tried fuzzyocr yet). The pain in the butt part is that Kerio doesn't use the systems perl modules, so I don't know how one would use cpan. I tried using cpan to install all of the modules and found out that that none of the system modules are in the include path. I tried copying over a built module, but found that the Kerio perl requires statically built modules, not the dynamic ones built by cpan. There aren't a hell of a lot of modules to be built to get orctext working, but even if I build them all by hand there are no guarantees that they will have Imagick and jpegtopnm tools in their path. I am finding that my users are getting an unacceptable amount of spam on a default install, even with the threshold at 4. I also don't find an sa-update, which is a total bummer. Add to that an update will probably whipe our your rules. I can handle getting the sa-update to work, but getting an ocr plugin to work without assistance or documentation is going to be a big pain. This an opensource tool and Kerio would be well served by letting the community contribute to a better implentation of spamassassin. I'll be calling support tomorrow and dicussing this with them.

///end rant

Ryan
  •  
mkjellman

ryan- thats what i figured after snooping around a bit in the kerio install....i too would like kerio to open spamassassin to its users. I don't see any reason why they couldn't at least say "hey- here is what ou have to do to build for this, if you screw up your instal we're not going to help you."

there are products that are free that would take them minimal time to implement and stop this new wave of spam that without body filtering or the addition of other plugins, i can not fight. I tried talking to tech support today, as always "maybe in a future update"

then i ask "do you have a time frame?"

"no. soon."

oh, ok thanks

so maybe we can both call again! hahah
  •  
vertex

Another idea is to set up a relay system with spamassassin configured right. I previously had a kick ass install of spamassassin, but it used sendmail and the milter interface, which was a bear to keep up with. I'm going to try and figure out a reasonable way to install plugins in s.a. first, but will move on an alternative mta if I can't get something going quickly. This irritates me because I am wanting to pay for Kerio so I won't have to do all this hacking around.

•  
mkjellman

ps to all...i am running the kerio server on os 10.4....i enabled the standard postfix install with spamassassin...disabled pop3 and imap but left the postfix server on port 25...set it to relay all messages to port 26 which is the kerio mail server...

installed fuzzyocr on the standard system spamassassin install...good results so far

issues you may run into: users wise you now need to have the os x user database for users to send email via smtp as well as the kerio. if they are integrated databases this may not be a problem but it still isn't the best solution possible.
  •  
vertex

I am using qpsmtpd as an smtp proxy. It has good plugin support but it felt a bit tedious to configure. Using fuzzyocr and a few conservative sare rules also with good results.

It is a bit tedious to install, but not too bad. What do you want to know about it?
  •  
gryphon

Just to confirm, there is no way to modify the spamassassin implementation in KMS? The only way to use plugins or modify its rules is to use a separate SMTP server?

Sounds like a lot of fuss :)
  •  
mkjellman

well, i don't think there is no way to modify the installation but, the issue I had was Perl...I don't think Kerio is using the system's install of perl and i couldn't find any way to modify it. it wouldn't be too hard for kerio to implelment FuzzyOcr in SpamAssassin and I think with the growing threat of Image Spam it is something they should do. If you have found where the kerio install of perl is the I think we could make this work.
Previous Topic: error message: quota exceeded
Next Topic: Remote POP3 Mailboxes+Sorting Rules+Cc (Bcc) headers
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 06:37:44 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00449 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.