Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » support for SAN/NAS external storage added ??
  •  
giampos

Send a private message to this user
I read some old topics on this forum about support some external storage for mail store. At this time (April 2006) Kerio guys didn't recommend switch to any of theese.
There is now any update ??? Or the best solution is ever local storage ??
  •  
winkelman

As KMS is mostly performance limited by storage speed (this really makes or breaks the server's speed), I would strongly suggest not to use external storage even if it where supported. Moving the store away from your local server would wreck KMS performance, the latency is just too big.

So supported or not really does not matter here, you wouldn't want it anyway :)
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

IMHO until the message store is converted to a database, I would advise against SAN storage for performance reasons. This is just my opinion. Smile

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
cpaul

How about an XRAID hanging directly off an XServe? Any issues w/ speed or performance there? Would this be a supported solution by Kerio?
  •  
Lyle M

An xraid connected to an xserve is fast enough for KMS (especially if you're using fiber channel). Although none of your hardware is "Kerio supported," that combination is certainly Apple supported and quite solid.
However, make sure you backup your message store on a regular basis to another physical volume.

All the best,
Lyle
  •  
dkrajc@redpegmarketing.co

I have my KMS installed on my G5 xServe and my mail store is on an attached xServe RAID connected via fiber channel. I also maxed the xServe RAM to 8GB. I only have about 70 active users so I have not heard complaints about speed but the solution has given me almost no problems since I installed it a year ago. The store is RAID 5 across 4 disks and there is another 2 disk RAID that I write the KMS backup to.

Dan
  •  
cpaul

•  
the_creative_partnership

I can second what Dan has said, we have our mail store on a 4 disk, Raid 5, fibre channel array (Xyratex in this case) we've had this in a couple of months and seems fine so far. Likewise though, we only have about 80 odd users, and currently most are just on POP, I don't know how the performance will be affected once they're all on IMAP.

Dan

<addendum> BTW these are SATA disks in a fibre attached array. Having SCSI or FC disks would obviously improve speed considerably whilst lightening your wallet even more considerably ,o) </addendum >

[Updated on: Wed, 07 February 2007 11:56]

Previous Topic: Vista Sticky
Next Topic: Remove Attachment
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 14:22:04 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00421 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.