Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Substitute the primary internal mailserver
  •  
Apple

Send a private message to this user
A lot of topics were about having a secondary external server which receives the messages send to a certain domain, and thus prevent undeliverable messages from the outside.
However, I'm talking about an internal situation. The primary mail server just receives mail from the mailbox of the ISP. So mail bounces are not the issue this time.

But in case the primary mail server fails, the secondary should be able to substitute the primary completely (old messages should be available too). I know Kerio offers a backup function but it's sheduled and not realtime. As it comes to data I prefer realtime backups. A change in a file should be reflected on the backup server too. However, with email it will be difficult since one new email ends up in a big file (which might exceed a couple of GB).

The complicating thing is the need to be able to see whether a messages had been answered, so forwarding incoming and outgoing (which have to be backed up too) won't help me out.

Can ETRN help me out? (having the secondary mailserver receive mail from the primary, and in downtime of the primary, download from the ISP mailbox)
  • Is ETRN able to receive messages from mailservers using the internal network using the internal ipadres?
  • Is ETRN able to notice changes in already received messages?
  • Is ETRN able to receive send messages?
Can I somehow use the archive function to break down the size of the file with "new" send messages? (putting the old send messages in an archive and removing them from the current one)
Or do I have to face it and accept the loss of one day old send messages? (I just leave the incoming mail for a couple of days on the server of the ISP)
Other suggestions? Thank you in advance.
  •  
winkelman

Isn't something like DoubleTake (http://www.doubletake.com/) easier for this?
  •  
Apple

I've seen the suggestion before, but I was wondering whether it was absolutely necessary. Simply because DoubleTake is pretty expensive (3.500 dollar). If there isn't an option to achieve my desired situation I think I've to stick with the plan of leaving mail on the server for a couple of days and thus loose (just) one day of send messages.
This doesn't mean I'm not willing to spend money at all to find a solution, but 1K and up will be out of my league.

[Updated on: Wed, 31 January 2007 22:16]

•  
winkelman

Apple wrote on Wed, 31 January 2007 01:43

in case the primary mail server fails, the secondary should be able to substitute the primary completely

This demand is only possible with something like DoubleTake, or with a mail server that actively supports clustering itself. Mostly because you never know when the primary server might go down, therefor, the secondary server has to have some way to be always fully in sync.

If syncing once or twice per day is an option (and manually starting the secondary server in case of problems) than you have a plethora of other and cheaper solutions... There are a lot of sync-tools out there.
  •  
Apple

Okay, thank you very much.
  •  
chrysmon

For the mailboxes and user folders a file synchronization with the server stopped is OK. What about the server settings and user&groups settings on the second server? How to 'clone' the server settings to another server on another machine?

Thanks in advance!
Previous Topic: KMS on FreeBSD
Next Topic: DST Issues?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 05:24:53 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00557 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.