Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » ActiveSync and Contacts
  •  
chubby

Send a private message to this user
Hello,

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I'm not finding the answers (I want :)). We are using Kerio and the ActiveSync functionality with our Motorola Q's and LOVE IT.

One thing, however, that is frustrating is that it only syncs our personal contacts. I realize this may be a limitation of ActiveSync and not Kerio, but was wondering what others were doing to get global contacts into their address books?

I'm also wondering if there is a "best practice" being applied by the Kerio community for this sort of thing.

Thanks,
Mark
  •  
winkelman

AFAIK it's really not possible (with ActiveSync). Perhaps there are 3rd party solutions...

Moreover, on your mobile, you also only have one place to store Contacts. Would you like to have the personal and global contacts mixed up on your mobile?
  •  
chubby

Yeah, I figured ActiveSync was the issue.

I guess the ideal for me would be this:

1. ActiveSync only syncs with my personal contacts folder on the server (already does this).

2. On my personal contacts, however, I would be able to "publish" a contact to a global contact list. This would create some sort of virtual link in Kerio whereby any updates to the global reflected back to my personal and visa versa. Users wouldn't have to subscribe to my contacts, they would just see the contact in the global. I wouldn't have to make a copy of it, because this is a maintenance problem and causes the contact to appear twice in the address book.

ActiveSync would be none the wiser, I would have only those contacts I wanted in my contact list, but could still share those that I felt others wanted access to.

This scenario is VERY common within our office and with our clients (I'm a Kerio reseller).

Right now, people resort to creating a copy or just not sharing the contact info. I don't like having to make that choice.

Thanks!
  •  
chubby

I submitted a feature request. Spent more time thinking about it and suggested a linking feature of some sort whereby when I drag a contact from the global contacts list to my personal, it creates a link. The contact is essentially a virtual contact in my personal contact book. So when edits are made to either, they are reflected in the other.

So now when I sync via ActiveSync/Palm, I get the contacts I want, not just my personal.

When I want to share a contact, I create it in the global. If I also want it in my personal (for syncing), I create a link.

When they display the address book while addressing emails, it could ignore duplicates if one is a link to the other to declutter things.

Shoot holes in it please.
Previous Topic: Macintosh Upgrade 6.1.0 to 6.3.1 Questions
Next Topic: Best server OS + Kerio scalability with large mailboxes
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 22:09:24 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00415 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.