Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » KERIO PERFORMANCE - NOT USEABLE FOR PROFESSIONALS?
  •  
cane

Send a private message to this user
Hello,

I am sorry that I must notice that Kerio seems not to be a product that can be used to protect a typical webserver or mailserver.

I have done some testings with Kerio, having it running on a Mailserver with about 500 Pop3 and SMTP-Domains and a DNS-SRV that serves about 3000 domains on.

The performance of Kerio is very very slow, with customers getting timeouts sometimes when doing POP3 and SMTP Sessions.

Kerio is installed on a Athlom 64 3700 Mhz CPU with 1 GB Ram.

Is this a know Issue (the slow performance under a few sessions and some traffic)? I think I must look for another product that does this job better than Kerio acutal does (for me).

Thanks
  •  
winkelman

When you enable AV scanning for the mail protocols KWF needs to collect all of the email before it can scan it. Only once this is done is the data passed on to the mail client or server.

For people on slow connections and downloading large mails, this can cause time-outs because the client requests or sends a message and it then takes too long before it actually gets an answer from the mail server/client. In this case this is not because KWF is too slow, it's simply a fact to deal with. You could set the time-out value too a longer value on the problematic clients, for example.

Of course, you could also disable the protocol inspector for the mail protocols. Then the mail is not scanned, but passed on directly to the client/server. This way, the client can be in constant contact with the mail server and thus not experience time-outs.

Hope this helps.
  •  
cane

well,

I for sure havent AV-scanning active in Kerio. Everything is disabled, protocoll inspector, statistics collecting. All.

If I run the box with Kerio on, ping replys go over 100ms, with Win2003 firewall protection enabled only, I have a 30 ms. all the time.

It is painfull to know Kerio is such slow and for me unusable.
  •  
RHarmsen.nl

cane wrote on Thu, 22 February 2007 09:36

well,

I for sure havent AV-scanning active in Kerio. Everything is disabled, protocoll inspector, statistics collecting. All.

If I run the box with Kerio on, ping replys go over 100ms, with Win2003 firewall protection enabled only, I have a 30 ms. all the time.

It is painfull to know Kerio is such slow and for me unusable.

What version of Winroute did you try?
As of 6.3 overall performance will increase.
this version is in Beta/RC statew but you could try this verion or wait for it.
  •  
winkelman

What brand of NIC do you use? Realtek based NIC's are known to cause KWF problems...

I run KWF to control a 50Mbit up&down link incl. virus scanning and orangeweb filtering and my server handles it without breaking a sweat. The CPU never goes over 20% load (and that's including Kerio Mail Server that's also running on the server).

Pings are also almost all '<1ms'.

So it's surely not KWF in general that's slow. Perhaps some combination of KWF and your hardware/software?
  •  
cane

winkelman, how many mails does your smtp-engine handle per day?

here at this machine it are between 60 and 80.000 per day.

Thanks for letting me know.
  •  
winkelman

SMTP engine in KWF? What do you mean?

I guess you're not talking about the SMTP protocol inspector, as you've turned that off...
  •  
cane

no.. I meant the smtp-maildaemon.

I have a smtp and pop3 daemon running on that server, that should be protected with kerio in future.. Currently I have a transparent hardware firewall box protecting it.

there are 60-80.000 smtp connections per day to that box.
Previous Topic: Limit Connections
Next Topic: Help ASAP
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 07:07:15 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00489 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.