Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio MailServer 6.3 on SuSE Linux
  •  
dh1760

Send a private message to this user
Hi All,

The specs for running the MailServer on SuSE Linux state that version 10.x is required and that libstdc++.so.5 must be installed. We are running SLES 9.3 (2.6.11.4-21.15-smp on a 64bit server) with libstdc++.so.5 installed. We do not plan to upgrade to 10.x anytime soon. Can anyone confirm if the MailServer will run on SuSE SLES 9?

Assuming it does run, are there any differences in performance, behavior or functionality when installed on SLES 9.x versus 10.x?

If it matters, we plan to use Outlook and the Kerio web front-end as clients.

Thanks!

-Dave H.
  •  
rencorp

Can't vouch for SLES 10, but I have KMS running on SuSE Professional 9.1 and 9.3 with no problems at all.

I can't see a great deal of difference between SLES and Professional versions of SuSE, other than SLES has been focused on business (no games etc) - the libraries appear to be very similar.

Gary
www.rencorp.co.uk

Kerio Certified Business Partner - Messaging
  •  
BudDurland

Quote:

We are running SLES 9.3 (2.6.11.4-21.15-smp on a 64bit server)

I thought Kerio was only supported on 32-bit Linux?

Good is better than evil because it's nicer
--Mammy Yokum
  •  
dh1760

Quote:

Could very well be the case... that's why I'm asking :)

If that is the case then we may have insurmountable problems. A 32-bit executable will run fine on 64-bit Linux as long as it is linked with static libraries. However, the specs do say that the shared libstdc++ is required, and as far as I know a 32-bit executable can not link with a shared 64-bit library.

-Dave H.
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

BudDurland wrote on Mon, 12 March 2007 08:40

Quote:

We are running SLES 9.3 (2.6.11.4-21.15-smp on a 64bit server)

Yes good catch, Kerio MailServer is only supported on 32-bit operating systems at this time. To review what operating systems are supported, please review the following page:

http://www.kerio.com/kms_requirements.html

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
heze54

Hi,

I'm running kerio mail server(now 6.3) under sles 9 64bit since many years..about 3 at least

An works really!!!!! fine

best regards

heze54
  •  
dh1760

To the Kerio rep who weighed in, I'm just curious: any technical reason why the product couldn't be compiled for 64-bit, or is it just lack of resources (hardware, testing staff, etc)? With the exception of a few system-specific tools, we've found that most applications written on 32-bit Linux systems recompile cleanly on 64-bit systems.

-Dave H.

[Updated on: Mon, 12 March 2007 20:00]

•  
Kerio_ktrumbull

Testing is probably the largest reason. We are unable to re-compile the binary, then do the appropriate testing to ensure compatibility on 64-bit operating system.

What does this mean? If you are running on a 64-bit operating system, we can not guarantee, for example, that the mail server process will not delete your entire message store. I always use that example to demonstrate the risks you may be taking by using an unsupported operating system.

heze54: Just a note, SLES 9 is no longer a supported operating system (even in the 32-bit flavor). Just something to keep in mind. Wink

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
Previous Topic: migrating from Now Up To Date & Contact
Next Topic: KOC for Outlook 2007
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 08:26:09 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00412 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.