Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Does anybody **LIKE** KOC with Outlook 2003?
  •  
silver02suby

Send a private message to this user
I've tried everything I can come up with to make KOC work for our small company but to be honest, it's really terrible. 4 or 5 of our 15 computers don't get email without clicking off of the inbox, then back to it. Messages are constantly stuck in the outbox, even though they send. The calendar and contacts are horribly slow.

We moved off a SBS2003 with Exchange (which I am no fan of) to Kerio on a brand new Mac OS X Server, Dual 2.66 Ghz Xeons. There's *plenty* of hardware, so this performance seems inexcusable to me. Every other service on the OS X Server works flawlessly. IMAP users (the two Macs) have no issues with mail, but calendar and contacts integration isn't good either. (not entirely Kerio's fault, Apple's iCal and Address Book aren't really collaboration friendly either)

My question is ... does anyone actually have GOOD, consistent results with KOC? I've tried every single "solution" or "troubleshoot" that Kerio offers, and they're all bandaids that dont work. I've wiped hard drives, re-loaded XP SP2 and Office 2003 SP2 - no change. My company has given up trying to make it better, they deal with the fact that email sucks now, when it didn't on Exchange, and they wonder why the Mac was a good idea.

Please Help :)

- Bill
  •  
shaggie16

I have KOC running in approximately 25 companies, mostly without problems. In version 6.0, it was really terrible, crashed all the time. Now are up to 6.3.1 (or something like that anyway) it is OK.

Could it be improved? Of course, so could exchange. I know not everybody wants it, but offline cacheing would help KOC no end, both in terms of performance, and other niceities such as being able to rename calendars! I have no idea when offline cacheing will be available, but KOC is what it is. I rarely have problems with it in any of my customer sites, and a lot of them are running similar setups to you - OS X servers.

It is the speed of the hard disks in the server that really affect KOC performance, not CPU. As you didn't mention disks at all in your post, I will assume you are running single disks or JBOD. You really need a fast disk system - something like RAID 10 would be ideal - hardware RAID of course.

In my personal opinion, MS exchange is the unrivalled enterprise class mail server. I don't really think Kerio is trying to compete on the same scale. I would not dream of rolling Kerio out to a company of say 500 users. However, it is the perfect solution for companies under that size.

Having said that, in an organisation currently uses exchange, and therefore presumably own the licences for it, why change away from it?

I have been using Kerio for many years, and have enjoyed seeing it improve as a product. Of course, it has been intensely frustrating at times, but the performance and the feature set keeps growing stronger. Webmail is fantastic, both cross platform and cross browser - try getting exchange OWA to render properly in firefox!! KOC still does have it's flaws, but on the whole it does it's job well.

This is, of course, just my (humble) opinion.

•  
cachedmode

My experience is mostly running KMS on windows servers but I have had similar experiences with my customers.

Generally speaking if they never had exchange in the past they might put up with the slowness of the KOC (& at least it is not as buggy as it used to be)

However all who were used to Exchange found the KOC performance to be comparably unbearable. I too have had problems with stuck emails (in & out), hanging & crashing outlook - need for patches & found annoying but these are mostly in the past.

However unless your user's can keep their mailboxes small and have inboxes with less than 100 items in then the performance is still abysmal.

(NOT TO MENTION THE LACK OF OFFLINE ACCESS)
Ooer- did I say that out loud!
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

Anybody having KOC performance issues should contact Technical Support. Outlook should not crash or hang, and messages should not get stuck while sending. If you are experiencing problems such as these, we can most likely correct it. Please contact Technical Support for assistance on this. We will want to do a WebEx session to a computer running KOC to observe the behavior and resolve the issue.

By the way, the two most common causes for KOC issues are 3rd party Outlook plugins and desktop antivirus products.

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
snowman

Yes, thought I would write and say YES, we do like KOC with Office 2003. We run W3K with AD so our email server is AD integrated. AD integration maybe is what makes it tick. We have experienced no lockkups, hangups as mentioned. I never used this before on Office XP so I can't say how it would have worked back then.
I do, however look VERY forward to the offline KOC mode and have had some difficulties installing KOC updates across our domain. I often have to go and manually install the update on a few. More than likely this is not a Kerio issue though. Other than that, the product, service and support staff have been excellent (I have to say, much better than Microsoft)

Thanks team for your wonderful work

merv
  •  
apsistemas

We have some installations with KOC and Outlook 2003 and with the last version is more stable and we have not many problems; If your clients come from a Exchange Server migration is a bad idea the KOC and the Exchange connector is not equal and has lack of some of the feaures:

Offline mode
Search in the content of the email

But if your users NEVER has been used a Exchange is a GREAT Groupware Solution.

Regards.
Previous Topic: Time Zone Data Update Tool for Outlook not needed?
Next Topic: KMS Push mail on a different Port
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 21:30:51 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00392 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.