Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Can mail filter trust senders from Contacts?
  •  
Will Mayall

Send a private message to this user
An executive in our firm gets a huge amount of email. He has an assistant filter the email. Email from anyone in his address book ("contacts folder") is sent to him immediately.

Is it possible to have a server mail filter that does a test like the built-in Spam filter:

"Also trust senders from my Contacts folder"

Having a test like this would allow messages that are from his contacts to be immediately forwarded to his mailbox without having to go through his assistant.

Thanks,

Will Mayall
  •  
Will Mayall

I'll answer my own question: Yes, you can filter using your contacts!

1. Create a filter.
  2. Don't worry about the condition in the filter, it will be replaced by an edited script.
  3. Choose the action.
  4. Save the filter.
  5. Click Edit script to edit the script. Make it look something like this:

if address :all :is :iscontact "From" ""
{
  fileinto "The Folder";
  stop;
}

Note that the section in the {action area} will be unique to your action.

Will Mayall
  •  
Will Mayall

An alternative test on the contacts is "if not in address book". To do this test, use this:
if not address :all :contains :iscontact "From" "*"
  •  
blackbox

Isn't this filtering at the client level? Meaning a spam filter upstream from the client can/will still affect the message?

[Updated on: Tue, 24 May 2011 22:02]

•  
Will Mayall

Quote:
Isn't this filtering at the client level? Meaning a spam filter upstream from the client can/will still affect the message?
No, this is filtering at the server before the client sees the message.

Will Mayall
  •  
Will Mayall

I should make it clear that, as far as I know, the feature that allows you to filter based on contacts in your address book is undocumented and unsupported. I assume that the feature could go away or stop working with any update.

Will Mayall
  •  
blackbox

Perhaps I don't understand what exactly you're suggesting.

Are you basically trying to create a server side white list based on client side contacts? If that's the case you're in like company.

I created a client rule (w/ corresponding contact) based on your code. The filter itself works, assuming the message isn't blocked by an upstream filter (basically working as I'd expect).

In my particular case, server side filters such as RBL or Bayes execute first, potential blocking the message, and client side rules are executed on the tail end of the spectrum.

Could you elaborate a bit on the specifics?
  •  
Will Mayall

Quote:
Are you basically trying to create a server side white list based on client side contacts?

No, this is not to create a white list for spam filtering. You are correct that this happens after the server spam filters have been applied. If the spam filters block the message, the message will not get through to the client.

The filter is being used to allow an assistant for the executive to manage the email coming from people that the executive does not know.

Will Mayall
  •  
blackbox

More of a client side white/black list.

Basically regardless of upstream spam filter tag metrics, allow/block based on contacts at the client level.

I gotcha.

How did you track down :is :iscontact?
  •  
Will Mayall

Quote:
How did you track down :is :iscontact?

I don't remember how I found it.

Will Mayall
  •  
Will Mayall

I'm just bumping this message because of how incredibly useful this feature is. Being able to filter based on your contacts appears to continue to work in Kerio 8.

It would be fantastic if this was a supported feature!
  •  
Will Mayall

Bumped once again because this would be an exceptionally useful feature to have built into Kerio Connect filters.

In 8.5.1, the filter seems to work fine for awhile. But it looks like Connect converts the filter after an hour or two into a relatively useless filter.

Please, please, please add "is contact" as a supported filter.
  •  
Kedar

Please use our "Suggest Idea" button in the welcome screen of Web Administration to create new suggestion and vote for existing ideas.
  •  
Will Mayall

Thanks Radek. Done.

I'm not sure why I've never sent it in as a suggestion. Since it's been 8 years since I started this post, I might have had enough votes by now to get the feature added!
Previous Topic: Custom application issue with carddav public contact
Next Topic: public folder conflict
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Oct 23 13:27:47 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00547 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.