Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio on a mac mini
  •  
mushii

Send a private message to this user
I have recently installed KMS on a mac mini, to provide email for 15 users across 3 sites, using mixed mac and pc clients. I have to say the install went very very smoothly and bar one or two hitches caused by me - it all runs so smoothly.

I purchased an external firewire HD for the mac mini and back it up nightly, across the network, using Retrospect on my G4 fileserver - which also runs like clockwork.

I would just like to thank Kerio for, what in my opinion is an excellent product and would like to recommend that anyone looking for a cheap email server - whether running macs or pcs a 1.5ghz mac mini with 1gb ram and an external hard drive makes for a very robust solution

Jigsaw are selling the mac minis at 299 + vat and 85 for an external LaCie Firewire 250gb HD.
  •  
ahoutzer

I use KMS on a MacMini as well, with 1GB of RAM and two external hard drives in a software RAID configuration. The Store is on the RAID volume. We have about 35 users, all using POP3, plus some mailing lists, and we have the McAfee Anti-Virus which was purchased as part of the KMS package. We also use the LDAP service to share addresses, and web mail for various purposes. This all runs very smoothly, for just over one year, now. Spam filtering is very good and basic mail services just work, so the system can be left to run without requiring any attention.

This has been a fantastic solution for our company.
  •  
My IT Indy

I'll throw in my nickel here. I've done 4 KMS setups in the last year for various clients and each and every one of them love it. I've set up KMS on everything from an XServe G5, a Mac Pro, an old iMac G4, to an Intel XServe with fully populated RAID array.

I will say that your Mini setup is pretty cool, and for the amount of users you have it's adequate. Of course the physical size of the mini and heat output are small as well.

I've done 2 setups for IT admins who were used to Exchange and the complexity of the environment. One of them was confused by how simple KMS is to manage and manipulate. He couldn't believe "this was everything".

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
mushii

I had to have a robust solution as although I manage all of our companies IT, across 3 sites, I am a fee earning consultant first off, so I cant afford to spend too much time 'tinkering' with IT.

My clients really are a mixed bag, with home users, peripatetic mobile users and office bound users. I have set up VPNs between sites, with VPN access to home users as well. I have installed 2 SIP telephony systems, which are connected to one atnother via ADSL. I have rolled out shared calendering today for all my users which is good, and they love. I just want iCAL and it will be the icing on my cake.

6 months ago 3 IT / Comms consultants quoted our company over 30k+ to roll out what I have managed to do for under 5k. Using KMS instead of an exchange server has saved me a big chunk of that.

I was really dubious about using mac servers with mainly Microsoft clients, but all in all I have seen very few headaches and have still managed to be one of our companies top fee earners, which gives you some idea of how little time I have to spend maintaing our IT. The biggest chore is changing the external HD's (or bricks as the admin staff call them) that we use for the daily backups.
Previous Topic: Synchronize contacts sub-folder
Next Topic: Kerio Outlook Connector Errors
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 10:43:10 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00417 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.