Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Dial-up Settings Feature Request
  •  
coco

Send a private message to this user
I would like to request a small change to the WinRoute dialing settings for dial-up interfaces.

At present, there is no possibility to configure a RAS entry in WinRoute with a username and an *empty* password. Here in the U.K., BT (and others) offer broadband services which are:

(a) Accessed through dial-up RAS entries; and
(b) Have no password.

Indeed, they are configured so that NO password can be used (and security is handled through hardware detection of the subscriber line itself). This makes it impossible to use WinRoute with such services.

Regards,
Steve Moss,
CoCo Systems Ltd.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

coco wrote on Fri, 27 February 2004 18:13

I would like to request a small change to the WinRoute dialing settings for dial-up interfaces.

At present, there is no possibility to configure a RAS entry in WinRoute with a username and an *empty* password. Here in the U.K., BT (and others) offer broadband services which are:

(a) Accessed through dial-up RAS entries; and
(b) Have no password.

Indeed, they are configured so that NO password can be used (and security is handled through hardware detection of the subscriber line itself). This makes it impossible to use WinRoute with such services.

Does the dialing work when you leave the password box empty?
If doesn't, are any new entries in error log?
  •  
coco

Quote:

Does the dialing work when you leave the password box empty?

Two things:
(1) No, dialing does not work.
(2) If I empty the password in the dialing settings and press OK, when I return to the settings dialog the password box shows 6 asterisks.
Quote:

If doesn't, are any new entries in error log?

Yes, like this:

<date><time> 8405:691 RAS Error. Unable to dial "BT Broadband" (access was denied because the user name and/or password was invalid on the domain).

The RAS entry itself works fine if it is invoked directly. It is only Winroute which is unable to dial it.

Regards,
Steve Moss,
CoCo Systems Ltd.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

coco wrote on Sat, 28 February 2004 16:58

Two things:
(2) If I empty the password in the dialing settings and press OK, when I return to the settings dialog the password box shows 6 asterisks.

It always shows 6 asterisks due to security reasons. It makes
password guessing much harder since there isn't showed true length of password.
Quote:

Yes, like this:

<date><time> 8405:691 RAS Error. Unable to dial "BT Broadband" (access was denied because the user name and/or password was invalid on the domain).

The RAS entry itself works fine if it is invoked directly. It is only Winroute which is unable to dial it.

We are working on change for next version.
Please try the following, it should fix the problem until then.

Try to dial RAS line directly in Windows and fill in the username in the dialing dialog. Leave the password box empty and check the option to save username and password for all users. Then stop the Winroute engine and edit configuration file "winroute.cfg". It should reside in directory "Program Files\Kerio\Winroute Firewall". Find "WanLinks" section in that file and clean "Username" and "Password" values for RAS entry. It will force WinRoute to use login information stored in the system.

•  
coco

Thanks Pavel, that's much appreciated. I'll post back here if we encounter any problems.

Regards,
Steve Moss,
CoCo Systems Ltd.
  •  
coco

PavelDobry wrote on Sat, 28 February 2004 20:32

coco wrote on Sat, 28 February 2004 16:58

Two things:

It always shows 6 asterisks due to security reasons. It makes
password guessing much harder since there isn't showed true length of password.
Quote:

Yes, like this:

We are working on change for next version.
Please try the following, it should fix the problem until then.

Try to dial RAS line directly in Windows and fill in the username in the dialing dialog. Leave the password box empty and check the option to save username and password for all users. Then stop the Winroute engine and edit configuration file "winroute.cfg". It should reside in directory "Program Files\Kerio\Winroute Firewall". Find "WanLinks" section in that file and clean "Username" and "Password" values for RAS entry. It will force WinRoute to use login information stored in the system.

OK, it's been a while but ... I have tried your workaround and have to report that it unfortunately does not work.

Regards,
Steve Moss,
CoCo Systems Ltd.
  •  
Jeff Wadlow (Kerio)

Does your ISP require you to supply a domain name? After looking at your first email I would guess not but I figured I might as well ask.
  •  
coco

JWadlow wrote on Sat, 03 April 2004 00:43

Does your ISP require you to supply a domain name? After looking at your first email I would guess not but I figured I might as well ask.

No, it doesn't.

Regards,
Steve Moss,
CoCo Systems Ltd.
  •  
simon

BT have already got around this problem, as mac users have the same issue and require a password to dial up. You can use the password bt and it should log you on fine. I had this problem before with bt and this got round it. You should also be able to find this on their support site.
Previous Topic: Traffic Policy
Next Topic: Keiro WinRoute Firewall 5 and GameSpy Arcade
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 08:43:11 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00437 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.