Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Questions about setting up backup mailserver
  •  
jpokinpo

Send a private message to this user
We are currently running KMS+KOC, with which we are very happy. Since we still have a license for Imail 8.xx, I have setup a backup box with Imail. The intent is that if the primary server dies from hardware failure, the backup box (with minimal reconfigurations) will allow continued email traffic until a new server is ordered and data restored. Hence, these questions:

1. Unless, I am missing something, I can't seem to find a way to create a rule in KMS to...say, for <inbound> <forward a COPY to> <user address> <at IP address>. Any way to do this? or close to it?

2. I do not think that the powers-that-be will approved a second KMS license for use as backup. However, assuming they do, I may consider using a replication software (like Peersync) to setup realtime syncing between the boxes. Anyone doing this or could it work?

3. Any better ideas at no or minimal additional cost?

Thanks.
  •  
jshaw541

http://www.kerio.com/manual/kms/en/ch26s05.html

Else set up a backup mx server using open source software. We use Postfix, in our case.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
winkelman

jpokinpo wrote on Fri, 30 March 2007 05:40

2. I do not think that the powers-that-be will approved a second KMS license for use as backup. However, assuming they do, I may consider using a replication software (like Peersync) to setup realtime syncing between the boxes. Anyone doing this or could it work?

If you use replication software like DoubleTake, you will not need a second Kerio license. The backup server will only go online if the primary server fails, so you'd never have both KMS servers running side-by-side. Of course, you would need a second server, but on the bright side: that server could act as failover for multiple other servers (as long as not more than one server fails simultaneously), so could could protect multiple servers this way.

[Updated on: Fri, 30 March 2007 14:13]

•  
jpokinpo

Thanks guys.

Jshaw541,
I read this part of the manual but was not sure it would work for me since it states, "If this recipient is not found in this domain...." I would like to retain same user addresses.

Winkelman,
Thanks for input regarding the license for backup use. To think about it, you are right. I will give this a shot. :)))
Previous Topic: any mail going out should be forwarded to a particular user.
Next Topic: Treo Cannot Sync without Root Certificate
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 03:26:52 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00419 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.