Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » vmware and kerio winroute 6.3.0
  •  
pegaso

Send a private message to this user
i have installed winroute 6.3 on my pc where is already installed vmware server 1.0.2 with some virtual machine.
the problem is that the virtual machine have some problem on the network connection, for example they do not receive ip address fome the server; but no problem with ping.
i do not understand what happen.

seems that winroute have some problem with vmware virtual network

it is possible?? or i have made a mistake
  •  
lightxx

yes, you definitely made some configuration mistakes.

i've been running winroute on both phyiscal and logical machines for quite some time now, and even though i don't know Kerio's official policy on running winroute inside a vmware machine i can assure your there are absolutely zero compatibility problems. winroute just behaves like it was installed on a physical machine, no matter if you chose to bridge to a real NIC or just a virtual NIC.

remember, vmware completely abstracts and virtualizes the entire five-layer TCP model, which includes layer 2 MAC broadcasts as well.

make sure your Winroute Traffic Policy allows your vmware machiens to access whatever you want them to access. if your traffic policies are set acordingly everything will work as it would on a real LAN. depending on your LAN you might ned to set up a DHCP helper, open 67/udp for the server side, 68/udp for the client side, enable UDP broadcasts to 255.255.255.255, and so on. it really depends on how your LAN is set up, and has nothing to do with your vmware / kerio installation.

EDIT: you DO know that it's pretty unwise to run a firewall on the PHYSICAL machine instead of a logical one, do you? i would seriously suggest you to unbind IPv4 and IPv6 from your physical NICs and bridge them inside a vmware machine where you do all the firewalling.

[Updated on: Thu, 05 April 2007 11:56]

•  
pegaso

i checked all but nothing to do.

i think there is a missunderstanding i do not mean to run winroute inside a virtual machine. Smile
i mean that i have installed on the same physical machine both vmware server and winroute.
all work well with physical machine on the network they can access to internet, access to all the service through winroute ect..
but if i run a virtual machine something work and something do not work.
for example if i enable Automatic login function in winroute and i specify the machine IP, the physical machines do autolongon the vitual machines not. Sad
or another example if i install dhcp server inside a virtual machine the physical machines on the network do not receive any ip

of course i tried to remove all rules restriction from winroute, i tried to customize winroute rules, i tried to uninstall and install again winroute, but all without good result.

in the end i tried to install the old winroute version and all this trouble disappear.

so i think i will do new test with a new PC with new installation to be sure that winroute 6.3 have problem with vmware server Crying or Very Sad

[Updated on: Sat, 07 April 2007 00:17]

•  
pegaso

to kerio support

i have a ticket, SZM-375164, open from more then one months
my trial period is already over.
so, now, i have to decide what i have to do: i have to forgot winroute or i can buy it because there is a good support that solve the problem Rolling Eyes
  •  
kerio_dthorne

Hi Pegaso,

I am sorry to hear your ticket has been unresponded to in over a month, I will now go and look in our system to see why this is. One possibility is that we did respond and that it got caught in a spam trap.

With regards to your question surrounding Winroute on VMWare. Winroute is designed to act as the gateway to the internet, and as such is best run on the physical machine that is your gateway.

We do not officially support the use of VMWare with KWF due to several driver incompatibilities that can exist with the virtual interfaces that VMWare uses.

I hope this helps.

David Thorne
Senior Technical Support Engineer,
Kerio UK
To submit a ticket please visit: http://support.kerio.com
UK Support: +44 1223 202 132 (9AM to 5PM GMT/BST)

•  
rga1

I think the issue is that you are running KWF and VMWARE
on the same machine.
  •  
pegaso

yes you are right

but i need to work in this way, with both software on the same physical machine.
i already have enough servers and i do not want to add another machine to run winroute

my friend suggested me to install winroute 6.2.3 and all work well w/o problem.
with wiroute 6.3 there are many problems Evil or Very Mad
unlucky 6.2.3 version is fase out Confused
  •  
kissson

the packet in vm machine can go to WAN passing through physical machine(kwf630)

but , when the packet come back , it is discard by kwf , kwf wont pass the packet to the vm machine

so in vm machine,
ping to wan wont work , no dns response , ping ip no ping response
http to wan wont work , now I am pointing to kerio proxy in my browser

still waiting for some fix.....
  •  
lightxx

first off, your english (both of you guys) sucks big time. no offense meant, but every attempt to comprehend what that gibberish is actually meant to say gives me a mild case of nausea and a mayor headache.

this is an english based forum, so you guys could at least *try* to produce something at least closely resembling english. thank you so much.

as i said before, running a software firewall and WHATEVER else on the same physical machine is not only a huge security risk but plain and simply retarded. frankly i don't know how important your business or your data is, but *should* somebody be able to brake KWRF's security your entire machine and all the data stored on it will be publicly accessible on the internet.

if you can't manage to run KWRF inside a virtual machine or get a dedicated server for KWRF - and just KWRF alone - you should either consider quitting your job or get a hardware firewall.

as i said before, i have done dozens - at least - of KWRF installations WITHIN virtual machines (vmware serer (ex GSX), vmware ESX, vmware player, you name it ...) and so far NEVER had a single compatibility or stability or security issue.

if someone manages to brake KWRF the intruder is still trapped within the virtual machine an can't to shit about it. that simple.
  •  
pegaso

sorry mr. King Laughing
from your answers i understand you are the King of informatics world.
do you know which is the situation??
i do not thing so...
so please explain me how you can talk about security.
please leave this matter to the people the already know this matter.
excuse me mr teacher but i am not interesting to know the opinion from an informatics rookie.
if you are not be able to understand what we write, please do not try, it is too hard for your brain

this thread talk about the compatibility between winroute and wmvare server, no more, so your post is OT

please leave this thread, your posts are useless and it give me nausea to read
  •  
kissson

Pls try to install vmware and kwf630 on same machine , close every shit like firewall or what in vmware
you will find that NO rules in kwf (even deny any any ) can block the traffic between host and vmware bridged interface.
  •  
lightxx

as you wish. so i'm done with this thread.

speaking of "informatics rookie" there's one thing you should consider, though. my KWRF installations actually work, where yours obviously fail to do so. what does that tell me about you?

you must be quite some tool to actually believe Kerio will write a "fix" to compensate your shortcomings of knowledge and lack of skills.
  •  
pegaso

OK you are the number one
are you happy now???

i repeat your posts are useless.

if you want to help explain to us your configuration.
and explain how you can install DHCP server (win2k3) inside a VM and tell me if the other physical machines can got the IP, i do not think so
or you can try to enable in winroute autologon base on machine IP
and tell me, if the VM can autologon successfully, i do not think so (all the physical machines do it)

ofcourse if you install winroute in a machine and vmware server in a different machine, for sure you will not have any problem.
you need to run both softwares on the same machine.

and in the end please explain why with SAME configuration and winroute 6.2.3 all work well and with winroute 6.3 not......

please i am waiting for your new lesson
  •  
lightxx

1.) http://www.eslpod.com/website/index.php

2.) why don't you:

.) install vmware - AND NOTHING ELSE - on the physical machine
.) create as many VIRTUAL machines as necessary to make sure that
..) KWRF has a dedicated virtual machine
..) your DHCP server has a dedicated virtual machine (YES, DHCP severs WILL work inside virtual machines and supply valid IP addresses to PCs on your LAN, there are zillionbillion pages on google covering this)
..) all the other services you run don't conflict with those two above.

and be happy with that. glad i could help.

again, there is NO REASON to run vmware and KWRF on the physical machine when you can use a virtual machine to host KWRF.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 May 2007 11:29]

pegaso

i am happy that you do not find any reason to run vmware and KWRF on the same physical machine.

i have my reason to work in this way.
Previous Topic: Kerio control updates
Next Topic: Opensuse/Fedora and Actual 64bit support when?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Oct 21 17:42:42 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00561 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.