Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Backup server with ETRN
  •  
campodoro74

Send a private message to this user
I've fully tested Kerio KMS 6.3.1 and have just bought a 50 users license with AV. The only thing I would like to know is; if I buy a second license, just Kerio without AV and extra users, only to function as a backup server using ETRN, will mail being pulled from the primary server still be scanned for viruses by the primary server?
  •  
winkelman

??

A backup server wouldn't need all users on it, would it? It could just contain a domain mailbox that stores all mail for your domain while the primary server is offline. It would be reachable over the internet and have a lower priority DNS MX record (so it would receive the mail in case the primary mail server was offline only). As such, the backup mail server is only there to prevent mail senders to get a 'mail server unreachable' error. It would store the mail until the primary server came back online and that (via ETRN) send all mail to the primary server.

Once the mail is transferred to the primary, it would be scanned and filtered (I think, you should verify this with Kerio). While your domain is receiving email during primary server offline time, your users could not access it.)

The above (in short) is the 'usual' setup for backup mail servers. It gives the admins a chance to perform maintenance etc. without the mail server going offline as seen from the Internet.

Note that spammers often use the lower-priority MX-record mail servers to try to deliver spam en malware, because often that 'route' it's not filtered. So it's still important to take a close look to the security aspect and also regularly ETRN-poll the backup even when the primary server wasn't offline.
  •  
campodoro74

Hi winkelman, thank you for your extended reply; it's exactly what I wanted to achieve. So I'm should be looking for a Linux solution that accepts mail for my domains but waits for the ETRN command from the primary server. Once it gets that signal, the primary will still scan for spam & antivirus, even though the mail comes from a 'trusted' server?
  •  
campodoro74

Anyone have any suggested of what Linux based distro I can use that just accepts mail for my domain and waits for ETRN ?
  •  
papason

Running this with Ubuntu server and use qmail:

How do I send messages by SMTP to an authorized dialup host when it makes an SMTP connection? I've heard about ETRN and AutoTURN.

Answer: This answer assumes that you are running qmail-smtpd under tcpserver.

Install serialmail and read /usr/local/doc/serialmail/AUTOTURN.

AutoTURN works with clients that send ETRN. It also works with clients that don't send ETRN.

See http://cr.yp.to/qmail/faq/servers.html

-Dee
Previous Topic: KOC with domain user name and password
Next Topic: Kerio MailServer 6.3.1 + KOC Vista patch
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 20:22:00 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00420 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.