Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Apple Address Book Sharing? Sync?
  •  
asta

Send a private message to this user
Okay, I got KMS for one big reason: to allow my users to share contacts and edit them.

They all use Entourage. I set them all up and can share contacts pretty well, but I have to go in another direction because they use categories for their contacts and categories don't sync. (Also, they have 6000+ contacts, and Entourage is slow slow slow.)

So, I'm investigating Apple's Mail and Address Book as an alternative. Following the KMS user's manual, I enabled searching for an LDAP database with synchronization through exchange.

Now (excuse me for asking) what exactly am I supposed to see? I have User 1 with a bunch of contacts and User 2 with none. How exactly do I get User 2 to share User 1's contacts, and will he be able to edit them?

Another question relates to iSync. As I understand it, iSync is only for .mac account holders who want to sync with their .mac accounts. In fact, you cannot enable iSync on a user who is not registered with .mac. So how can a user (as the user's guide advises) keep contacts in sync with the LDAP server if he cannot enable iSync?

Lastly, even if somehow this all gets to work, will groups be synced and share-able by this method? Groups in Address Book are Apple's answer to categories in Entourage.

Please tell me this (or something else) will work!
  •  
Lyle M

I am by no means the final word on any of this. Worse yet, I'm going to attempt to answer your questions without any research - so take it for what it's worth.

Curious, are you referring to the application speed of Entourage, or its syncing performance? Have you ever submitted a feature request for category syncing from Kerio? If so, what was their reply?

It sounds like you properly configured Address Book. The "All" group of Address Book will show only User 1's contacts as they are synched via iSync with the Kerio server. My understanding is that User 2 will not "see" User 1's contacts in the All group. User 2 has to "search" for those contacts via LDAP in the "Directories" group. Both Address Book and Mail.app will dynamically look up contacts as the names are gradually entered.

For LDAP to work, you have to properly enter the search base as described in the URL below.

LDAP search base and Address Book configuration:
http://www.kerio.com/manual/kmsug/en/ch09s02.html

.Mac synching is only one feature of iSync. iSync can do all sorts of cool things without a .Mac account (PDA device sync, Kerio's new iCal Sync, Mobile phone sync, etc). If you enable "Show status in menu bar" in iSync prefs, you can force an Address Book sync at will without launching the app.

To your final question, groups in Address Book are analogous to "distribution lists" in Kerio and, well, "groups" in Entourage. I'm not sure how you would shoehorn their role into a category replacement.

I doubt I was much help, but I am interested in this subject and would love to see others' ideas and thoughts.

Cheers,
Lyle
  •  
My IT Indy

once the iSync plugin actually works you should be able to share contacts between the machines.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
Previous Topic: Is it possible to disable users from changing their passwords?
Next Topic: using WinXP firewall
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 03:26:34 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00404 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.