Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio and Debian [Workaround]
  •  
xtin

Send a private message to this user
Wow! just wow!

I've been looking for a decent groupware for a small start-up company. Therefore I've been trying out Scalix, Zimbra, OpenXchange (absolute nightmare to get running*) and others. While Scalix and Zimbra are indeed serious concurrence, Kerio just stunned me by it's ease of installation (Scalix took me 1 day, zimbra 1 week, Kerio 5 minutes.**) and administration. Everything seems to work right out of the box.

Being a debian/ubuntu fan, I am missing a Kerio debian version though. It's a real pitty, because Kerio is indeed working (almost) out of the box in debian. As far as i can see the only thing that has to be rewritten is the start-stop script in /etc/init.d/.

I hope this encourages you to release a debian version of Kerio Mailserver.

Disclaimer: This is neither an official nor a supported way of installing. I am not responsible for any damage resulting from following this HowTo. Do it on your own responsibility!

Here's how I did it:

1. Get a clean Debian Etch Server System
2. If postfix/sendmail is installed, remove it:
apt-get remove postfix sendmail

3. Install the needed packages:
alien: Provides the RPM-to-DEB-Conversion
libstdc++5: Required
apt-get install alien libstdc++5

4. Download the Kerio Linux RPM-Package
5. Transform the RPM into a DEB
alien --to-deb --keep-version --scripts kerio-kms-6.3.1-2402.linux.i386.rpm

6. Install the Package
dpkg -i kerio-kms_6.3.1-2402.linux_i386.deb

7. Switch to the Kerio installation dir, and start config wizard
cd /opt/kerio/mailserver
./cfgwizard

8. As /etc/init.d/keriomailserver won't work, just stay in the dir. and start it manually: et voilą!
./mailserver

The admin tool can be installed accordingly on a local computer. (Don't know what a gui's doing on a server ;))

* The new version is still in alpha though...
** All of them running in "unsupported" debian etch environments, normally you probably could install all of them in less than an hour!

I am running Kerio on a XEN domU Virtual Server under Debian Etch 4.0 with 2.6.18 kernel

[Updated on: Wed, 25 April 2007 21:56]

•  
tslattery

Obviously I'm not going to touch this on my production server, but it certainly provides hope that they could add a Debian flavor soon. I know I put in a request for that.
  •  
papason

On this issue, we run Ubuntu Server on our Intel & AMD Duo Core systems. Very nice. Although, to comply with KMS I installed SUSE on one of the units, as x86 even though it is x64 hardware.

KMS needs a lot to get up to speed with the current hardware and software, but works fine none the less. We see PHP errors frequently but future versions will hopefully fix that.

Since apt-get works fine with SUSE I don't have an issue except it's the only SUSE box we have.

Since they have good support at Kerio, I will only run supported OS's but have my 2 cents worth in for Debian/Ubuntu already.

-Dee
  •  
drak

And /etc/init.d/keriomailserver:
case "$1" in
    start)
        echo -n "Starting Kerio MailServer: "
        ulimit -c unlimited
        ulimit -s 2048
        ulimit -n 4096
        cd /opt/kerio/mailserver && ./mailserver
        echo "OK"
    ;;
    stop)
        echo -n "Stopping Kerio MailServer: "
        PID=`pidof mailserver`
        if [ "$PID" ] ; then
            kill $PID
            echo "killing...."
        else
            echo "not running?"
        fi
    ;;
esac

[Updated on: Fri, 09 November 2007 12:03]

•  
franken

Kerio Mailserver 6.7.0 is just released. There is now a debian package and it works out of the box Razz
(Tested with Debian 5.0.1)
Previous Topic: Parallels Virtual Appliance with Kerio MailServer
Next Topic: message footer
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Sep 20 05:56:26 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00439 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.