Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » IMAP performance
  •  
klynde

Send a private message to this user
I am looking to implement Kerio for our business. I was wondering how well it performs for a mid-sized company.

I currently have about 50 users. I would like to use IMAP for everyone because we have people working from home and it would be nice for them to have all their mail store available.

We would be using Entourage for the client so we can use the shared calendaring functions. I have a few users with very large mail stores - 3-6G. We are all Macintosh based and I am looking to run the server on a new Mac Pro with a good amount of RAM and hard drive space.

The calendaring functions are very important, we are currently using Apple's iCal to schedule meetings which is horribly slow when trying to synchronize 50 calendars.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken Lynde
Heinrich Marketing
  •  
Anonymous

I think KMS is a great choice for a 50 user network. It is Ideal for small to mid sized companies.

I wanted to direct you to some documentation that can further assist you in scoping Kerio for your needs.

Chapter 34.2 in the Kerio Administration, outlining Kerio Mail Server iCal support:

http://www.kerio.com/manual/kms/en/ch34s02.html

This will direct you to more in depth instruction in our user guide.

Kerio Mail Server supports Apple iCAL for calendar syncronization and publishing using Http services.

Grant Gundersen
Kerio Technologies
First Level Support
  •  
klynde

I actually want to get away from iCal. At least the way we are using it now - it's way too slow when synchronizing all the calendars. I was thinking of migrating everyone to Entourage so we can use the shared calendaring there because it has a much better busy/away schedular.

I am mainly interested in performance - how well can Kerio handle 50 heavy IMAP users with large mailboxes on a new Mac Pro?

Thanks,

Ken
  •  
Anonymous

Entourage 2004 with Service Pack 2 must be used for public calendars and contacts.

KMS would work great with 50 users, KMS can handle about 300 simultaneous IMAP connections.

regards,
Grant Gundersen
Kerio Technologies
First Level Support
  •  
jshaw541

klynde wrote on Mon, 23 April 2007 12:27

I am looking to implement Kerio for our business. I was wondering how well it performs for a mid-sized company.

I currently have about 50 users. I would like to use IMAP for everyone because we have people working from home and it would be nice for them to have all their mail store available.

We would be using Entourage for the client so we can use the shared calendaring functions. I have a few users with very large mail stores - 3-6G. We are all Macintosh based and I am looking to run the server on a new Mac Pro with a good amount of RAM and hard drive space.

The calendaring functions are very important, we are currently using Apple's iCal to schedule meetings which is horribly slow when trying to synchronize 50 calendars.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken Lynde
Heinrich Marketing

We run KMS 6.3 on a dual xeon 3.2ghz box with approximately 1,000 simultaneous IMAP SSL connections on average and it performs very well, with each CPU core averaging about 8-10% utilization.

I would explore the isync connector/ical solution in the upcoming 6.4 version. Entourage is slow and crappy imho. With the isync connector, i'm speculating that it should perform much better than entourage and what you've experienced in the past.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
spiggott

We are an office of about 50 users running KMS on a dual 2.0 GHz G5 Xserve with 2GB RAM and mirrored hard rives running 10.4.9. Clients are using Entourage on Mac OS 10.4 and Outlook 2003 on XP and routinely have mail stores in the 3 to 6 GB range. Server performance is a non-issue.

A couple of things you may want to consider: Leopard Server will have a LOT more groupware functionality and performance improvements over Tiger Server, especially with regard to calendar sharing. I'd take a look at the product info page on Apple's web site.

If you decide to go with KMS, you may also want to look into using WebMail exclusively. I have pretty much stopped using Entourage/Outlook on my personal machines because WebMail is so fast (it's not constantly updating all your IMAP folders and calendars in the background like Entourage/Outlook) and full-featured. For our non-permanent employees (freelancers, interns, etc), I do not configure an email client - they use WebMail exclusively.

All in all, I've been very happy with KMS and can recommend it as a very good solution given the environment you described.
  •  
My IT Indy

I agree about the webmail comments. I've set up KMS for 2 50 user setups and in both cases we went with webmail over Outlook or Entourage. It's a bit more of a pain for the users (they have to remember their passwords and login names) however it's easy to set up and it creates a uniform interface for people who also want home access to email and calendar.

With syncing of smartphones over the air we don't even need client-side syncing.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
tek_san

IMAP needs disk performance. You need a fast scsi raid system to run this. 50 comcurrent users may work well with IDE or (S)ATA drives but I guess your system will grow and with slow drives you will get delayes.
As someone stated above, the cpu utilization of modern systems is close to zero. We have lots of RAM in our mailserver as well, but I am not shure if this was necessary.
Our mailsystem is very responsive and transmits several gigabytes a day into mailboxes that vary from sizes of 512 MB up to some gigabytes and some of these boxes have lots of serverbased rules to sort incoming mails. We have marketing campaigns almost every month and 100k to 150k mails stream into a single mailbox of the responsible dept. I have to admit that it tends to be slow if the mails are removed of the boxes although we are not doing this within the interface but on explorer level and by rebuilding the index of the mailbox afterwards. But I would not call this a drawback as i am not expecting a miracle concerning this heavy load topic. I find it very useful that mails in kerio mail server come as single files and are not hidden in a database blob.
regards
Oliver

[Updated on: Wed, 25 April 2007 05:55]

KC 7.3.1, Win2003 in vsphere 4.1, store drive attached via iSCSI, OS drive attached via NFS.
220+ IMAP Accounts: 210 OSX Mail /Entourage Clients, 10 Outlook 2003 KOC Clients - iPhones, Nokia E66, HTC 4350
Archive:EMA Appliance, SpamFilter: Nospamproxy
  •  
osci

For people who use mainly WebMail, what do you use for email notifications ? I am thinking of switching all our Entourage to WebMail since it support more features and it's faster, but they will not get new email notifications in the dock (or anywhere else) unless they go back to WebMail time to time.

A small notification application would be really nice. I did have some JavaMail code for displaying new emails in a Java Web application, but since we are not writing their intranet this year, I need an another notification for the time being.
  •  
My IT Indy

osci wrote on Wed, 25 April 2007 19:19

For people who use mainly WebMail, what do you use for email notifications ? I am thinking of switching all our Entourage to WebMail since it support more features and it's faster, but they will not get new email notifications in the dock (or anywhere else) unless they go back to WebMail time to time.

A small notification application would be really nice. I did have some JavaMail code for displaying new emails in a Java Web application, but since we are not writing their intranet this year, I need an another notification for the time being.

If you have a tab open in Firefox it will display new emails in the current folder right in the tab. That's about it as far as I know.

-
My IT Indy
  •  
badams7

I am not happy at all with Entourage/Kerio performance. Once you get a mailbox size of 1.5-3.0GB it is slow as molasses (constantly syncing and interrupting operations).

Webmail on the other hand is nice and fast...great performance even on very large mailboxes. However, it is difficult to get large organizations to switch over to webmail after using standalone Entourage...even though it is much more convenient and has much better performance.
  •  
My IT Indy

That's because Entourage sucks. How many 3GB email boxes do your users have? That seems a bit excessive, however it should work.

-
My IT Indy
  •  
bigmountain

I host approximately 150 active users, about 50/50 between Outlook w/KOC vs. Entourage users. Performance seems to be acceptable with the Outlook customers and I have heard no complaints from Entourage users. When checking processor usage, I am only using approximately 20% max and at any given time, I have around 25 users connected via MAPI/IMAP and about 5-10 webmail users. Performance is great in my opinion (KOC could be a little faster) and I have several customers with up to 2Gb accounts. I am running Xserve w/ RAID 5 and 2.5Gb RAM. If there is anyone out there looking to trial Kerio on a live enviornment prior to purchasing, contact me and I can host your service for short or long term until you can determine whether it is the right product for you.

Preferred Kerio Partner and Cloud Solutions Provider - Offering both shared and dedicated Kerio Connect hosting solutions.
Visit us at http://bigmountainmail.com
  •  
badams7

rugby wrote on Mon, 30 April 2007 12:07

That's because Entourage sucks. How many 3GB email boxes do your users have? That seems a bit excessive, however it should work.

No argument from me there, however, these Mac customers don't seem to use anything else and they use Office. If you have any better alternatives, do tell. Not many 3GB mailboxes at all, maybe 2 or 3. This particular server only has about 20 users on it. Server load seems to barely even blip.

Please don't mistake my post, I am in no way speaking against Kerio. I think it is the best commercial groupware server around.
My IT Indy

I keep hoping that Entourage 2008 will be more capable than 2004 in regards to speed, and offer server-side features such as task syncing, categories support, among other things.

I have no other suggestions for email, Mail.app sucks, Thunderbird might be okay for IMAP, I haven't tried it recently.

-
My IT Indy
Previous Topic: ISync TASK synchronisation
Next Topic: Calendar2Public
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 04:43:19 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00513 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.