Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Calendar Sharing and Syncing -- I Don't Get It
  •  
ahoutzer

Send a private message to this user
Please forgive me for being dumb, but I just don't get it.

Kerio has an iSync module to allow us to synchronize the Mac's iCal program data with the calendars that are accessible through the webmail interface. I understand there there is similar functionality for MS Outlook. The iSync module will only synchronize with private calendars. If the user1 uses the WebMail interface to share someone else's calendar, and the other user2 has granted them read/write access, user1 can only see that calendar through the webmail interface -- it will not synchronize through iSync. The same is true of calendars in the Public Folder -- they will not synchronize down to any user's iCal. Only a user's own private calendars will synchronize down to iCal. If that is the case, then what is the point of the iSync interface? Isn't the whole idea for the users to be able to use iCal for their calendar management, and sync them up to Kerio in order to share them with others? Is there something that I'm missing -- either that it does more than I've been able to figure out or that there is some other use for this? I have several pressing needs to share calendars, but I can't figure out how to do it thorugh Kerio unless I abandon the desktop-based calendar programs (in this case, iCal).

[Updated on: Tue, 08 May 2007 21:47]

•  
xommen

There are basically two ways to get to a calendar the "old" ical interface which is subscribe only, so you can see other people's calendars it is described in the manual but basicaly you subscribe to http://username<_a.t_>mailserverip/ical/user<_a.t_>domain.com.
The iSync connector makes it possible to sync your personal Calendar (and only that) to the webinterface or outlook. So before you could only publish from 1 machine and not edit on any other. This is resolved by the iSync connector and that is it's point. What I personally hate about the implementation they made is that my calendar has to be named Calendar (and not for instance my name which is Wim) for it to work.
  •  
ahoutzer

So, other than through the webmail client, Kerio offers no way for two users to be able to edit the same calendar?
  •  
xommen

Not in the current iSync implementation afaik, it does work in Outlook on Windows and Entourage on Mac (at least that's what the manual tells me I personaly hate Entourage).
  •  
ahoutzer

Quote:

I personaly hate Entourage

So do I/we. I was really hopeful that Kerio was adding some useful functionality with the iSync connector. Allowing the same user account to work on two different machines just has no purpose for us -- that's what laptops are for.
  •  
xommen

For me it does make sense,as I have a desktop machine at the office, one at home and a macbook.
At the office I also have a pc which I have outlook on (mainly for testing).

But the biggest sense it makes in my opinion is that you can add something in the webinterface and it will show up in your iCal, that was not possible before.
That would offcourse also give you the option to add something to somebody elses Calendar ;-).
  •  
jefflessard

Hello,

I'm just curious. Why do you guys hate Entourage?
  •  
My IT Indy

#1 it's ugly
#2 it doesn't sync categories or tasks to any server
#3 it's half-baked at best
#4 it stores EVERYTHING in one database instead of individual files.
#5 it's slow

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
ahoutzer

Why I hate Entourage:

1) Does not use the system address book, which is used by other software. Yes, you can synchronize Entourage's address book with the system Address Book, but that's just one more thing to get out of sync. Better to just use the system one.

2) Cannot publish calendar to a web site for either viewing or subscribing, like iCal. Better to just use iCal.

3) Monolithic database has several disadvantages:
a) Inferior search capabilities, compared to Apple's Mail, which allows everything to be searched from the desktop (Spotlight) down to the text and metadata in attachments
b) Can't do an incremental backup on mail, because it is all in one huge file. Every time the user account is even logged into, a daemon opens the database, which changes its date stamp so the entire thing will be backed up.

4) Ill-behaved, randomly causing Macs to fail to wake up from sleep (stand-by), requiring the system to be hard-booted. This was the killer that made me drop Entourage for Mail, several years ago.

5) Does not use the system spell-checking and dictionary. Instead, uses Microsoft's annoying system , which constantly fouls up what a user is really trying to type. Yes, it can be turned off, and then you don't have the feature. Apple's system spell checker works much better, so you can have the feature without the annoyance.

6) Having my address book in Entourage means that typing documents in Word will constantly auto-complete people's names and e-Mail addresses from the Entourage address book while the user is just trying to type text, and not typing anyone's address at all. For this reason, I want my Entourage address book to be empty!

There must be more. It's just so annoying!
  •  
jefflessard

It feels good to hear that I'm not alone wanting to get out of Entourage!

But do you guys think that with the iminent release of Kerio 6.4 and the isync connector, the combination of Mail+iCal+adressbook will have the same advantages (or better) than using Entourage?

regards,

[Updated on: Thu, 10 May 2007 15:33]

•  
ahoutzer

That was why I started this thread. 6.4 and the iSync connect allow the user to sync only private calendars between iCal and Kerio. No manner of share calendars can be synchronized -- neither public calendars nor calendars which another Kerio user has allowed the user to share. That is my frustration. I have no use for synchronizing my calendar between iCal and web mail if no one else can access it. You can Publish an iCal calendar to a Kerio server, but that only allows another iCal user to Subscribe to it, which allows read-only access.

What I want is for a manager to be able to have a calendar in iCal, and the manager's administrative assistant (secretary) should be able to edit the manager's calendar in iCal. Kerio is not providing any way to be able to do this. Same goes for using a calendar for room reservations -- there is no way for two users to be able to edit the calendar, except through the webmail interface, and that has nothing to do with synchronizing nor iCal.

We are stuck with either Entourage or just using the webmail interface.

If Kerio would even separate the web-based calendar from the mail, then our users could use Apple Mail for mail (more functional than webmail) and use Kerio's web-based calendar for calendaring, which would be shareable. Because Kerio webmail an its web-based calendar are stuck together (like the hated Entourage!!), I cannot give my users one without the other, so I give them neither. We are without a groupware solution.
  •  
ahoutzer

xommen said:
-------------------------
For me it does make sense,as I have a desktop machine at the office, one at home and a macbook.
At the office I also have a pc which I have outlook on (mainly for testing).

But the biggest sense it makes in my opinion is that you can add something in the webinterface and it will show up in your iCal, that was not possible before.
That would offcourse also give you the option to add something to somebody elses Calendar Wink.
-------------------------------

Now I get it even less. I tried doing this simple thing, as described by xommen, above. One Mac has an iCal calendar. Using iSync Connector, it syncs to account abc on the Kerio MalServer. A second Mac also has iCal and syncs with the same Kerio account. The events all look okay on the Kerio account when accessed via the webmail interface. When they sync down to the second Mac, they are all several hours off. If I turn on the iCal advanced preference setting 'Turn on time zone support', then it becmes apparent that events which were entered in U.S. Eastern Time Zone are syncing down to the second Mac as UTC/GMT time zone. There is, to my knowledge, no kind of setting nor indication about time zones in the MailServer, so I can't see what time zone the KMS account thinks it is using, nor could I change it. Both client Macs and the MailServer computer are all using U.S. Eastern time zone in their Date & Time control panel.

I submitted this problem to Kerio. The response that I got was that they had recreated the problem and that a ticket had been submitted for it. I have seen people waiting on this forum for over two years to get certain things fixed, so this gives me no confidence.

I wrote back the following, and have received no response:
Doesn't this mean that the iSync Connector feature doesn't work at all? I mean this is the most basic purpose for the iSync Connector, isn't it? That confuses me. It seems like I must be doing something odd, or this feature could never have made it out of testing, as it fails 100% of the time on the most basic use of it. Is there something that I am doing wrong?

Please someone tell me that I am simply doing something stupid -- I'll take the insult to get a working solution. All that I am trying to do is the most basic function of the iSync Connector, and xommen said that he/she uses it this way. Surely the iSync Connector could not have made it out of testing to be released if the very first and every attempt to do a most basic sync with it fails?!? What stupid thing am I doing wrong, and how can I fix it?
  •  
xommen

Let's start by saying I'm a he Wink.

The quoted part is what I wanted but my testing takes place on a testserver, and that actually means that I test it from my macbook, I have not gotten round to setting up the syncing on my Mac at the office and om macbook, for now I have the sync running on my office mac an I subscribe to the calendar on my other mac's. The biggest advantage for me by doing this is that I don't have to explain to my collegues on outlook that my Calendar and that of my collegue who also has a mac is different from theirs. I was going to set it up the way you descibe but have not gotten round to implementing it since sometimes there is work to be done.
Previous Topic: Kerio Synchronisation Plugin installation problems
Next Topic: Sharing Calender and renaming it
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 10:56:13 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00555 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.