Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » How to configure SMTP AUTH for Forwarding host ?
  •  
lansclu

Send a private message to this user
Hi all,
Is anyone know that how can I set the SMTP authorization
for the forwarding host?

or

If the Forwarding host (mail3.xlsntrrp.com) require SMTP authorization, then how can I set SMTP AUTH for that host(mail3.xlsntrrp.com)

Please see the attached image.
[img]http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/4551/untitledrj6.jpg[/img]

Is there any Solution????

Take care all.
Lansclu
[img]index.php?t=getfile&id=1007&private=0[/img]

• Attachment: untitled.JPG
    (Size: 28.33KB, Downloaded 860 times)
  •  
lansclu

Hi all,
Can anyone solve this issue???
Thanks to all.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

There is no reason for using authentication in domain forwarding. Receiving server MUST accept emails for own domain without any authentication. Unless you want to set up SMTP relay server. But this setting is is SMTP server options and not domain settings.
  •  
lansclu

Ok Here is the requirements:

Imagine I have 4 user on domain.com.
domain.com is actually hosted on ISP.

KMS I have configured in my office as a LAN mail server, Here I
have created virtual domain called domain.com & I have created 2
user on KMS.

KMS is basically work as a LAN mail server & forwarding/relay all
the mail to the parrent(ISP) mail server.

In this condition the ISP mail server requires SMTP AUTH for accepting the mail.

Thanks to all.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

I believe your server is not configured properly.

If you want send emails ONLY for users in domain.com on ISP server then use Forwarding in Domain setting. ISP server MUST NOT require authentication when receiving email for internal domain.

But if you want forward all outgoing email to ISP server, then you need to use SMTP Relay in SMTP delivery option (Read http://www.kerio.com/manual/kms/en/ch15s02.html). SMTP Relay settings allow using username/password for authentication to remote SMTP server.
  •  
lansclu

Thanks for your reply.

I am forwarding all outgoing email to ISP server(domain.com) right now.

I have also setup SMTP relay for this, and SMTP relay also working perfect. But when i am sending mail to user 4<_a.t_>domain.com through KMS ,it says 550 5.1.1 Mailbox <4<_a.t_>domain.com> does not exist.

user 1<_a.t_>domain.com, 2<_a.t_>domain.com is configured in KMS as well as ISP mail server. but user 3<_a.t_>domain.com & user 4<_a.t_>domain.com are
only configured on ISP mail server, here user 3 & 4<_a.t_>domain.com are not configured in KMS.

Here I have used this option under the domain"IF receipents are not found in this domain then forward the message to another host"

Here I have configured the same ISP mail server SMTP address.
In this condition ISP mail server require SMTP AUTH.

So is there anything wrong in the configuration? please help.

Thanks again.

[Updated on: Fri, 18 May 2007 11:19]

•  
lansclu

lansclu wrote on Fri, 18 May 2007 10:49

Thanks for your reply.

I am forwarding all outgoing email to ISP server(domain.com) right now.

I have also setup SMTP relay for this, and SMTP relay also working perfect. But when i am sending mail to user 4<_a.t_>domain.com through KMS ,it says 550 5.1.1 Mailbox <4<_a.t_>domain.com> does not exist.

user 1<_a.t_>domain.com, 2<_a.t_>domain.com is configured in KMS as well as ISP mail server. but user 3<_a.t_>domain.com & user 4<_a.t_>domain.com are
only configured on ISP mail server, here user 3 & 4<_a.t_>domain.com are not configured in KMS.

Here I have used this option under the domain"IF receipents are not found in this domain then forward the message to another host"

Here I have configured the same ISP mail server SMTP address.
In this condition ISP mail server require SMTP AUTH.

So is there anything wrong in the configuration? please help.

Thanks again.

•  
Petr Dobry (Kerio)

lansclu wrote on Fri, 18 May 2007 10:49

... but user 3<_a.t_>domain.com & user 4<_a.t_>domain.com are

That's a correct behavior. user4 and user5 are not configured in KMS domain domain.com so emails are bounced back with that error.

Basically it's not a good idea to have 2 mailservers serving the same domain with different group of users defined. You should consider to use another domain for KMS (like subdomain.domain.com) and then you can forward emails between these domains by aliases for example.

At second, if ISP's server is configured with domain domain.com it MUST accept all emails addressed to that domain without authentication.

Petr Dobry
Product Development Manager | Kerio
  •  
lansclu

Ok, Thank you for the solution. I will test the same and after testing I will give the feedback to you.

Thanks a lot.
  •  
lansclu

Ok fine it is working but still one problem,
If i create a mail to four remote(ISP) receipents and if the mail size is 2MB then mail are forwarded by KMS is four times to the forwarding domain smtp server(ISP domain)

It means total 8MB of internet usage by the KMS.

But the same setup we are currently using with Ability mail server in our office and it is working fine with the 4 remote receipents. it is relaying the same 2 mb single mail to ISP server and it used only 2MB internet usage.

In Ability Mail server we have configured the same domain name which we have with our ISP. It is working perfect. In this case Ability mail server is not giving any error like"550 5.1.1 Mailbox <4<_a.t_>domain.com> does not exist." and the same mail is delivered to the remote ISP domain in a single transaction. while KMS is sending the same mail 4 times.

Please note that, when sending mails VIA Ability Mail server, to the remote receipents in the same domain, it says that "550 5.1.1 Mailbox <4<_a.t_>domain.com> does not exist" in this condition if we check the checkbox in outlook"my server require authentication" then everything is going fine.

I have also tested the same with KMS 6.40 RC-1 but still the problem not solved.

So Finally the problem is: Imagine I have sending a single mail(2MB in size) to 4 remote(ISP) receipents via the KMS. Here KMS is forwarding the same mail four times, it is forwarding the mail individually to the remote receipients. So our Internet bandwidth usage also increasing from 2MB to 8MB.

Can anyone help me please.
  •  
winkelman

lansclu wrote on Thu, 24 May 2007 12:12

Imagine I have sending a single mail(2MB in size) to 4 remote(ISP) receipents via the KMS. Here KMS is forwarding the same mail four times, it is forwarding the mail individually to the remote receipients.

If you sent an email to a, b, c and d, some mail server is going to have to split the messages to the respective mail boxes. If not KMS, who is going to split the emails to it's several recipients? It must be KMS, cause KMS is in no position to judge if some other mail server down the line is going to do it. The recipients might not even belong to the same target mail server, for all KMS knows.
  •  
lansclu

Hi winkelman,
Thanks for your reply, So I think we cannot use KMS as a LAN mail server.

Thanks to all.
Lansclu
  •  
winkelman

If the bandwidth problem is holding you back, I don't think you can run any mail server...
  •  
lansclu

I have captured the SMTP data transfer to the ISP mail server.

And also captured SMTP through Telnet command, here is the report.

KMS SMTP Transaction

220 mail.abcd.com ESMTP read
EHLO PC1250-mail.abcd.com
250-AUTH LOGIN
250-SIZE 6291456
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250-PIPELINING
250-ETRN
250-DSN
250 HELP
AUTH LOGIN334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
ETC.... And

Ability Mail Server SMTP Transaction.

220 mail.abcd.com
EHLO PC1250-mail.abcd.com
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-M
250 OK
AUTH LOGIN334 VXNlcm5hbWU6

Etc....

So can anyone compare is there any SMTP transaction difference? or do you need more information.

Is there any problem with SMTP PIPELINING?

Thanks to all.

[Updated on: Sat, 26 May 2007 09:23]

lansclu

Sorry double post. cleared/removed

[Updated on: Thu, 07 June 2007 13:34]

Previous Topic: Error log - SEARCH: User trying to access an event message without VEvent structure
Next Topic: smtp forward authentication
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Oct 21 21:22:00 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00588 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.