Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Install Kerio Mail Server (KMS) on Synology
  •  
prullenbak

Send a private message to this user
Hello,

I would like to install Kerio Mail Server (KMS) on my Synology CS407. This wonderfull device is running Linux and there is an instruction available for the installation of xmail on it for example.

Is it possible to install KMS on the Synology? Check out: http://www.synology.com/

Grtz, jeroen
  •  
Leonmeijer88

Same here, I would like to install Kerio Connect on a Synology DS412+ NAS (www.synology.com).

Posted a topic on their forum too but it's the same like here, no response at all:)

Hopefully someone can help us out.

Thanks!
  •  
elias

There are a couple of major reasons why you don't want to do this:

1. Even though the Synology OS is Linux based, and even if it is based on one of the supported distributions, you have almost no chance of getting Kerio to consider it a supported OS.

2. Synology has likely rolled their own Linux distribution and optimized it for the purposes of their NAS. Its very possible that libraries and other packages Kerio needs to run correctly may not be installed or be the wrong versions. It would be up to you to fix those dependencies; so in addition to not getting support from Kerio, you also run the risk of compromising the integrity of your NAS which likely also voids its warranty.

I really like the Synology products, and you should take advantage of the power of it. But the correct way to do it would be to run Kerio on a real machine, with a supported Linux distribution, and connect to your NAS with iSCSI and let it do what its been designed to do.

-Elias
  •  
valshare

Hi,

Kerio Connect runs very well on my Synology DS1512+ in an chroot environment.

Regards, Valle

[Updated on: Fri, 19 October 2012 14:54]

•  
Leonmeijer88

Okay so "it is possible" Smile I know actually nothing about croot env but will certainly check it out.

Maybe it's interesting for Kerio to start a "embedded version" of connect for NASses and such devices?
  •  
Wilco

I'm also interested in installing Kerio Connect to a Synology NAS. Is there an instruction to do this? I have a DS1512+.

It would be better if Kerio support a special version for these kind of NAS. Nowadays there are fast enough to support many clients for small business.

Kerio Connect 9.2.3 on Windows Server 2012 R2 (dutch)
  •  
valshare

@wilco: search in google for synology + chroot + debian. There is an link to synology wiki

[Updated on: Wed, 24 October 2012 19:11]

•  
My IT Indy

This would be a pretty cool environment to run Kerio Connect on. We have half a dozen Synology boxes out there in the wild (several more in our office) and they are solid.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
Previous Topic: blocking incoming emails just to one user
Next Topic: Webmail defaulting to 'mini'
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Oct 22 19:39:04 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00504 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.