Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Slow, slow, slow KOC
  •  
ebatte

Send a private message to this user
A few years ago I migrated our office away from outlook 2000 because the KOC was so slow. Sorting takes an unusually long time, for instance. We switched to Thunderbird. Speed is great on t-bird using imap.

T-bird has other issues, though. Address book is weak, now Kerio Thunderbird Connector, no calendar, searches over imap can't search the body of messages, etc. So I'm now running the outlook 2007 trial version to see how far things have come with the latest outlook client paired with the latest KMS/KOC. Still dismal I must say.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Why don't I see a lot of speed complaints? This can't be normal.

Anyway, here are some specs so that maybe someone can give me some feedback on increasing speed:

Server:
PIV 2.4 GHZ
768 MB RAM
Dedicated XP sp2 box that runs nothing else but KMS 6.4

Client:
AMD dual 2.4 GHZ
4 GB RAM
Outlook 2007 (trial) w/ KOC 6.4
10,400 items in inbox
Sorting by header takes 6-8 sec
Open Calendar takes 4 sec
Open junk mail takes 10 sec (only 119 items)
Open Deleted Items takes 4 sec

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eric
  •  
gerco

I agree entirely.

KOC performance has been utterly crap for the last thre years (almost) and who knows if we will ever get the long awaited cached mode, (or if it will cure the problems)

I am frankly amazed that anyone is putting up with it and how Kerio have gotten away with it for so long.

•  
winkelman

ebatte wrote on Wed, 16 May 2007 00:43

10,400 items in inbox
Any ideas?

Create subfolders and sort your email. KOC will indeed run slow in folders with thousands of messages. Like it or not: you'd have to sortout your email to get better performance.

I guess most people sort their email anyways, so they won't run into as much performance problems as you.
  •  
cachedmode

anything more than about 100 messages in any folder slows my outlook to a crawl when using KOC.

!!!!!!
  •  
winkelman

That is odd.

I normally work out of Webmail, but I do have Outlook/KOC setup.

I tested it: on of my larger mail folders has 3368 messages in it and it takes less than a seconds to open or sort. I estimate about 0.4 seconds :) Good enough for me.

What the connection speed between you and the server? (For me 100Mbps...)
What's the speed/type of the disk subsystem in your server? (For me two 15.000rpm SCSI disks in RAID-1...)
  •  
campodoro74

Review your hardware; we have users with more than 14000 emails in their subfolders and all is running well. We have 1 Dell server, Core 2 Duo with 2GB ram and RAID1 SATA disks, nothing fancy and it's performing great, running 6.4.0.
  •  
ebatte

It isn't a performance problem in t-bird with IMAP!

Sorry, but that's more of an excuse, than anything. I can almost guarantee you that if not using the KOC then Outlook would also perform just as fast.

I might just try that today to see if I'm correct.
  •  
ebatte

We have gigabit connections between clients and server.

The server disk is not scsi or raid, just a typical 7200 rpm ide hd.
  •  
sedell

That's a majority of your problem. KMS is very disk intensive, especially with KOC since there's no caching. Performance would increase quite noticeably with faster disks. Generally, the advice has been with KMS to get the fastest disks you can. KOC caching would fix that issue as well, but that still isn't available, so faster disks would be the best hope for a performance improvement.

Scott
  •  
ebatte

I DID just setup a new imap account in Outlook and it is just as fast as t-bird when sorting the same 10,400 messages. It is instantaneous. This problem is not a problem with the hardware, it is completely a KOC problem.

Someone please explain why the slowness only exists with KOC? It's not the client or the server it's KOC.
  •  
winkelman

For one it's your KOC that has this problem, not the KOC in general as our performance figures indicate.

Secondly, IMAP clients generally have a local cache for the email-headers, only the message bodies are server-side only. So obviously sorting is fast(er), since it can be done locally without any involvement of the server.

Of course, KOC could do more caching locally to speed things up. And that's exactly what's being developed at the moment: a local caching KOC client. That's just a very complicated thing to do, so that is already taking quite a while to develop (end will possibly still take quite some more time).

So for now: buy the fastest disks your money can buy (RAID-10 with very high-RPM disks for low latency would be best) to see if you can get KOC performance up to par, don't use KOC or accept it's quirks.
  •  
My IT Indy

IMAP sync only messages and they're cached locally to speed up the mail client. KOC is entirely server-side and syncs calendars, mail, contacts, to-do's, etc.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
ebatte

What exactly is KOC reading or writing on the server disk each time I sort messages that requires such high performance?

•  
winkelman

ebatte wrote on Wed, 16 May 2007 17:12

What exactly is KOC reading or writing on the server disk each time I sort messages that requires such high performance?

Is that really a relevant question? Will any answer help you to make it faster? Just know that server disk speed affects KOC performance.

I don't mean to be irritating, but the KOC is what is is. People have long-awaited an offline KOC in the hopes this makes a lot of their issues go away. Perhaps it will also be faster, although speed does not seem to be a general problem. The only known KOC performance killers are slow (dial-up) connections and slow hard drives.

Small improvements may be made with each KOC version, I read this in the topic about 6.4.0 here: "My (KOC) mailbox with +13000 messages gets loaded in less then 2 seconds, so that's much better." All in all KOC seems to be able to work quite well as it is for most of us.

If you're waiting for big changes in KOC, you'd have to wait for the offline version. That may be faster (or it may not, who know's...). I believe that's about to come out sometime this year (or it may not, who know's...).
ebatte

:)

It would make me feel better if someone could justify it with real info proving that claim. I'm not disagreeing with you, I just want proof before I go spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to upgrade h/w. I'll be really pissed if I do that and there is still no adequate improvement in speed.

I was really hoping that I had something configured incorrectly and someone would tell me to flip a switch and everything would be great. ;)

The guy in your reference was running linux. I wonder if that matters?
Previous Topic: Reminder Error in Public Calendar
Next Topic: Interested IP PBX?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Sep 21 05:20:13 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00569 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.