Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Restarting server results in lost messages
  •  
JamesG

Send a private message to this user
I had to restart the computer that the Kerio server is operating on today, and after this happened several users began reporting that some messages were no longer in their Inbox (including myself). It is likely that these users were connected via IMAP at the time of the server restart.

I successfully followed the procedure for Reindexing mail folders in http://www.kerio.com/manual/kms/en/ch27s01.html and my message index has been restored.

Needless to say, I am VERY, VERY concerned that this happened at all. I now have no idea how many users have a corruption in their Inbox index, nor any idea how to handle this type of correction for hundreds of users.

How do I avoid corruption like this when a server restart is absolutely necessary, or in the case of a power outage that exceeds the UPS capacity?
  •  
kerio_dthorne

Can you please submit a ticket at http://support.kerio.com explaining your problem and one of us will take a look at this for you.

David Thorne
Senior Technical Support Engineer,
Kerio UK
To submit a ticket please visit: http://support.kerio.com
UK Support: +44 1223 202 132 (9AM to 5PM GMT/BST)

•  
winkelman

JamesG wrote on Fri, 18 May 2007 00:43

nor any idea how to handle this type of correction for hundreds of users.

You could write a script that renames the index-files for all users...

JamesG wrote on Fri, 18 May 2007 00:43

How do I avoid corruption like this when a server restart is absolutely necessary, or in the case of a power outage that exceeds the UPS capacity?

You'd need a UPS that's is able to signal the server to do a proper shutdown, possibly including first shutting down the mail server process 'the proper way' (I mean by giving the mail server the stop command so KMS can shut down itself, closing all files properly etc.). For example APC UPS's are able to do this, provided you've got a model with a network management card. I've got two of those here, works really nice.

Or are you saying that you did stop the mail server 'nicely' and still the corruption occurred? I've never seen that.

Why did you need to restart that server anyway? Perhaps of a problem that also might have caused the Inbox corruption?
  •  
JamesG

winkelman wrote on Fri, 18 May 2007 09:22

Or are you saying that you did stop the mail server 'nicely' and still the corruption occurred? I've never seen that.

Yes, I did a restart from the Apple menu.

Quote:

Why did you need to restart that server anyway? Perhaps of a problem that also might have caused the Inbox corruption?

No, it was related to some backup software that we can't get a scheduled backup to execute with.

I submitted a support request on this issue, but have not heard back yet. I can confirm that it is affecting many of our users right now.

James
  •  
JamesG

I realized that Spotlight was not turned off on this server. I don't know if this is the problem, but Spotlight is notorious for file corruption and duplication.

James
  •  
JamesG

Just FYI my response to tech support. Read the comment from tech support below about this "there isn't a way to prevent this possible problem from occurring".

---

Is the index.fld file actually becoming corrupt? If so, the mail server software should have some sort of built-in utility for checking for corruptions automatically. I would like this logged as a feature request.

I did manage to resolve this problem by moving the index files for my users via the command line after cd'ing to the bsd7.org directory:

for i in `ls -A1`; do echo $i ' index moved'; mv $i/inbox/index.fld $i/inbox/index.bad; done

Second question - since server restarts are often a fact of life, is there a way I can get the Kerio mail service to properly shut down when the system is restarted/shutdown, via Shutdown Items or otherwise on OSX?

James

> Hi James,
>
> If possible, stop the Kerio MailServer service prior to restarting OS X.
> If you are not able to then there isn't a way to prevent this possible
> problem from occurring. If the mail server service cannot stop normally
> then it cannot save the current state of a user's folder.
>
> You can run this command to index everyone's folders at once:
>
> find . -name index.fld -exec perl -e '$i="{}";
> $i=~s/\#msgs/index.fld/;$new=$i;$new=~s/fld$/bad/;rename $i, $new;' \;
>
> Navigate to the location of the Store folder before you run that
> command. You may also want to stop the mail server service prior to
> running that command.
>
> Best regards,
Previous Topic: POP3 Intrusions
Next Topic: local mail
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 08:53:01 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00421 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.