Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Will Kerio ever implement SNMP in KMS?
  •  
jshaw541

Send a private message to this user
Will Kerio ever implement SNMP in KMS?

It's extremely frustrating to not be able to graph statistics like I can with nearly every other app that scales larger than a workgroup.

I've submitted feature request(s) (yes, plural) in the past and nothing's ever come of it. This functionality seems like a no-brainer.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
gerco

... Surprised

I think they have more important issues to be working on...>!

I wouldn't hold your breath.!
  •  
elias

SNMP would be nice, but KMS does publish a number of performance monitor counters which should be queriable through WMI. You might then be able use the 'wmic' command line tool or other tool to query the counters for your management software to read. This is one of those items on my list too, but I haven't had time to try to figure it out.

-Elias
  •  
jshaw541

elias wrote on Fri, 18 May 2007 10:42

SNMP would be nice, but KMS does publish a number of performance monitor counters which should be queriable through WMI. You might then be able use the 'wmic' command line tool or other tool to query the counters for your management software to read. This is one of those items on my list too, but I haven't had time to try to figure it out.

-Elias

Yes, I've used the WMI functionality in the past. However, the external WMI counters no longer work.

While I can get counter values from Perfmon, I cannot using external WMI tools (ala Scriptomatic, or WMI queries from VBScript and C#). Every counter returns 0. This used to work and I had Cacti templates for KMS and everything, but doesn't anymore.

At one point, I formatted and reinstalled the mail server from scratch and this still did not fix anything, so YMMV.

A long while back I research MSDN on coding up WMI functionality in apps and it appeared that you needed to "export" or make the WMI counters available externally. This seems to imply that Perfmon uses one interface, and external programs use another. I've long since lost the direct URL to the MSDN document.

Kerio putting effort into SNMP would make more sense anyway, as it would be cross-platform and easier for us admins to add things to MRTG/Cacti/RRD/OpManager/etc. We use these graphs to track problems, trends, and be able to gauge future growth.

It's kind of silly this sort of functionality isn't already available. I could understand it if KMS was a simple workgroup email server, but c'mon.

Windows Server 2003 SP 1
~1300 users
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
  •  
jshaw541

gerco wrote on Fri, 18 May 2007 10:39

... Surprised

I think they have more important issues to be working on...>!

I wouldn't hold your breath.!

Importance is relative. Thanks for the utterly constructive comment.

Windows Server 2003 SP 1
~1300 users
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
  •  
cachedmode

Quote:

Importance is relative.

Exactly... & relative to all the bugs that need to be resolved & other serious feature requests SNMP support is 'unimportant'.

•  
jshaw541

cachedmode wrote on Fri, 18 May 2007 11:05

Quote:

Importance is relative.

Exactly... & relative to all the bugs that need to be resolved & other serious feature requests SNMP support is 'unimportant'.

Would you mind not hijacking topics? It's bad etiquette. If you have complaints, kindly create your own thread to clutter up.

Windows Server 2003 SP 1
~1300 users
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
  •  
cachedmode

I haven't hijacked the topic.

Quote:

Will Kerio ever implement SNMP in KMS?

I'm simply trying to explain to you why Kerio have not implemented your suggestion.

I think most KOC users would say that the offline caching is (much) more important. So bearing that in mind I would suggest waiting three years; if SNMP has not been implemented by then feel free to re-request the feature.

•  
sonofcolin

Yawn. Not another KOC debate. Here I was thinking the thread was about SNMP support.
  •  
winkelman

To give SNMP support some more weight: it would be an excellent addition.

I use 'The Dude' to monitor my network and that's just neat (and free). The more I could monitor and graph using standard SNMP, the better! Now I have someone copy-paste some stats into Excel every other day to be able to spot trends (spam, mail usage, etc.). Automating this would be good, obviously Smile

(No need for KOC offline here...)
  •  
osci

elias wrote on Fri, 18 May 2007 19:42

-Elias

Well, "wmic" is not useful for people on Mac OS X and Linux... Support for SNMP would enable all servers platform to access statistics.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Which feature has the highest priority for you?[ 37 votes ]
1.Kerio Outlook Connector with offline support 17 / 46%
2.SNMP monitoring 6 / 16%
3.Debian/Ubuntu support 2 / 5%
4.Superb antispam 5 / 14%
5.Deleting old emails 3 / 8%
6.Native 64bit binary 1 / 3%
7.Other 3 / 8%

Frankly, new KOC has absolute priority for us. It will not be just "cache" for current KOC but completely new product.

Common problem with SNMP implementation is that SNMP information provided by the application has to be integrated to SNMP client in system. It cannot run both on same port. Three different platforms and many SNMP daemons make this a little bit hard.

•  
tpalmer

Nice little voting box! In the spirit of "but I want More!", any chance of adjusting to allow two or three choices, rated?

For my company, I would say
1)KOC
2)other (IMAP body search)
3)Deleting old mail (or rather, move old mail offline)
4)SNMP

Thanks!
  •  
jshaw541

Kerio_pdobry wrote on Tue, 22 May 2007 05:46

Common problem with SNMP implementation is that SNMP information provided by the application has to be integrated to SNMP client in system. It cannot run both on same port. Three different platforms and many SNMP daemons make this a little bit hard.

It does not have to be integrated into the operating system's SNMP daemon.

For Windows, your best bet would be to run it on a separate UDP port. Most Windows admins are quite used to this (with Dell OpenManage, HP's system monitoring, etc).

On *NIX platforms, you run the KMS SNMP daemon on a separate UDP port, and then SNMP proxy the KMS port from the snmpd.conf file, as they do here:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Cacti/Squid_Setup

Frankly, it's crazy that Kerio MailServer didn't have SNMP monitoring abilities BEFORE they decided to get into this crazy KOC thing.

How are people running decently-sized KMS installs supposed to monitor their systems adequately? Identify trends? Predict growth and needs?

The KMS Admin Console stats are from-reboot and not very useful. It would be nice if Kerio at least exported such metrics to a file, so those of us running large installations could hook into them.

Windows Server 2003 SP 1
~1300 users
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
winkelman

jshaw541 wrote on Tue, 22 May 2007 17:14

The KMS Admin Console stats are from-reboot

Not since the last few versions. The stats are stored in-between reboots nowadays... Still, those figures don't help in spotting trends.

I have created an elaborate Excel sheet into which I have someone copy-paste several stats from KMS on a daily basis. This takes a minute a day, but at least allows me to spot trends.
Previous Topic: Yahoo Marks as spam, no domainkey...
Next Topic: problem sending email via stmp
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 24 07:31:53 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00512 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.