Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » LOSS OF FOLDERS within Outlook but not Web interface
  •  
eqdynamics

Send a private message to this user
After upgrading to v6.4 for Outlook 2007 compatibility I faced the problem seen by others here - many folders in my email store were not visible within Outlook but would appear within Kerio webmail interface.

My install is KMS 6.4 running under Fedora Core 6 and KOC 6.4/3364 in Outlook 2007 with all patches applied. The mail store was previously accessed under KMS 6.3.x using IMAP connections.

As far as I can determine, the problem seems to arise from a corrupted 'status.fld' file in the affected directories. Simply deleting this file (and renaming 'index.fld' to 'index.bad' as recommended by Kerio doesn't work as the KMS re-index function DOESN'T WORK if the 'status.fld' file is missing!!! BUT ... if the file is present though empty, it is recreated by forcing the re-index! ... Kerio please take note!

The procedure below was used to restore the folders to Outlook. NOTE you might want to exclude non-mail directories (eg; Contacts, Calendar) from the "ALL" below. Also, I'm not sure that it is actually necessary to remove the 'properties.fld' files but a clean setup seemed appropriate.

1. Shutdown Outlook (and ensure that no other logins exist for 'user'
2. STOP Kerio mail server (service keriomailserver stop)
3. Within all directories below 'user' mail directory:
a. Rename ALL files 'index.fld' to 'index.bad'
b. Delete ALL files 'properties.fld' (stores Outlook reading pane etc. options)
c. Delete ALL file 'search.fld'
d. Truncate all files 'status.fld' to 0 byte length
4. DELETE the directory _keriomapi_STORE in the 'user' directory
5. START Kerio mail server (service keriomailserver start)
6. Start Outlook and wait while all files are re-indexed

Usual disclaimers: this worked for me but I'm not saying it will work for you - it's VERY easy to damage the mail store so make sure you have a full backup before attempting this - especially when using *nix command combos to truncate the 'status.fld' files.

Hope it helps someone anyway - took me half a day to figure out what was going on!

[Updated on: Mon, 28 May 2007 19:13] by Moderator

George
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

First, always contact technical support if you have a problem.
Second, your solution is completely wrong. I do not recommend it as the result is loss of information and it will broke synchronization.
Correct solution for this problem is to remove properties.fld files in affected folders. DO NOT remove or rename any other file.
  •  
danoli

It may be worth removing the solution offered by 'eqdynamics' as someone may attempt it before reading your post Embarassed

[edit] I am having problems where I cannot see the public contacts or public calandar via Outlook but can see it in the web browser.

[Updated on: Mon, 28 May 2007 19:10]

•  
willowsv

We had a similar problem with our companys shared calender.

I reported it as a bug and Kerio are tracking it so. I have just got back from Holiday so need to see whatthe latest update on it is.

Glad to see its not just me going mental Smile Nobody as yet has reported problems with any other folders so im not sure what is is but with calenders the problem seems to be with "properties.fld" setting up a New Calender and then copying over ALL files except "properties.fld" seems to work (other than the fact you have to go though and painstakingly add all the permissions caledner colour mappings etc)
  •  
danoli

Do you have any more info on this? See my edit to my above post.
Where is the properties.fld on a calandar in the public folder?

[Updated on: Mon, 28 May 2007 19:10]

•  
eqdynamics

Kerio_pdobry wrote on Mon, 28 May 2007 17:35

First, always contact technical support if you have a problem.

Thanks - but then you haven't been that quick to respond in the past

Quote:

Second, your solution is completely wrong. I do not recommend it as the result is loss of information and it will broke synchronization.

Er ... except that I have had no loss of synchronisation and this solution does seem to be working fine.

Quote:

Correct solution for this problem is to remove properties.fld files in affected folders. DO NOT remove or rename any other file.

Except that I tried that and it didn't work. In my case (can't speak for any others) removing the 'properties.fld' file alone does NOT bring back the missing folders. Forcing KMS to re-index the folder did make them reappear.

Sorry - your "correct" solution didn't work for me.

George
  •  
willowsv

Well as for whats causing the bug I couldent tell you it would appear to be a problem with the KOC.

The way I corrected the error was to

A) Use WebMail to move the old calender from Public Folders to your own message space.

B) Create a New Calender in the public folders with the same naem and set up permissions etc.

C) Browse to your Kerio Store Directory and copy all the files and directories except for "properties.fld" from the old calender directory to the new and restart the mail server and outlook.

Hopefully you should find that the calender is visible again with all the entries intact.

As with anything backup the calender first (make a copy of the calender folders etc just in case) as for an official solution from Kerio I guess we just have to wait.
  •  
eqdynamics

Re willowsy ... my problem was that over half my archive mail store folders became invisible - seemingly at random. My Calendar and Contacts however were fine.

The cause was not permissions or anything else and it was DEFINITELY a bug within KOC. The files/directories hadn't been touched since before the upgrade to 6.4 and continued to work fine from wihin the web client - and when accessed using IMAP from other machines. It was only the PC with Outlook/KOC that showed problems.

One of the first things I tried was to copy one of the missing directories (which had two sub-dirs) to a new name hoping that it may have been a naming problem (the original dirname had a space in it). That having failed to restore the data, I tried removing the '.fld' files one by one, stopping and restarting KMS/Outlook each time but no single file (and specifically not the 'properties.fld' file) made the directory reappear.

As a further test, I just stopped KMS again, replaced a couple of the 'status.fld' files with originals from a backup and restarted. The files, by the way, are byte-for-byte identical to those that KMS recreated when it was forced to reindex - the advice given in another thread elsewhere by Kerio support (admittedly concerning the beta that I have never tried/installed) to rename only the 'index.fld' file to 'index.bad' recreates trhe index but does NOT recreate 'status.fld'.

The "loss of data" here occurs when you have to delete the 'properties.fld' file - that loses the Outlook user all the settings for colours, navigation pane/reading pane etc.

Extremely annoying though that is, it's not as big a loss of data as having over half your mail store disappear!

George
  •  
willowsv

There is a bug ongoing regarding the calender situation ( 22113 ) so it would appear this is more widespread.

I just took the following steps

1) Deleted the "properties.fld" file from our old outlook invisable diary.
2) Renames "index.fld" to "index.bad"
3) Deleted the __keriomapi_STORE folders.
4) Restarted the Mail Server

This seems to have restored the invisible calender so you may want to experiment with the above. The permissions are kept in status.fld and because there working in web mail I would suggest that there is nothing wrong with that file Smile
  •  
danoli

I managed to get my folders visible again but after changing the rights with the webmail stopped it being visable in Outlook (but still visable in webmail)
  •  
willowsv

I would suggest then that this bug is deeper set then just my calender problem which was bodged by creating a new one and just duplicating the files from one to the other until it "broke" again which allowed me to identify the problem file.

One I had that I remade the calender yet again and re-copied all file EXCEPT the one that was breaking it and it seemed to chug along happily

Raise a ticket and cite bug number 22113. It might be possible the two are related. We have tonnes of folders I haven't had anyone winging that any others are missing yet Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 28 May 2007 19:41]

•  
eqdynamics

My problem was with missing mail folders but the cause seems to have a fair bit in common. In my case, one of the things I tried (having seen parts of the puzzle discussed elsewhere round here) was to delete properties.fld and the _kerio_MAILSTORE directory tree then re-indexed but, in my case, that didn't cause the directories to reappear.

The GOOD news is that someone in Kerio has obviously designed KMS so that once the 'status.fld' file is truncated (NOTE - it MUST be present - empty is OK, missing isn't) KMS recreates it as part of the reindex process.

The only loss of data I have seen is through the loss of the properties.fld file - all the messages and their structure remain in place.

George
  •  
willowsv

Yup basically same I just did a different way which was to create a new calender (which obviously created its own propeties.fld) and copy all the original files except the old properties.fld

If I simply deleted propeties.fld the calender disapeared off the face of th eplanet completly Smile I never tried truncating it that would have prob had the same effect but I still had to re-do the calender colours.
  •  
eqdynamics

willowsv - it's an odd one this. I could see nothing in file permissions or in file names or directory structures to cause any of the folders to disappear where others appeared fine. Nor should there have been as webmail would display and operate on the "missing" folders without a problem as would an IMAP client I tried.

It's obviously something that KOC 6.4 is tripping over in either the properties.fld or status.fld files.

All my data is visible again now (and I have multiple backups just in case) so I won't report the bug - looks like other folks have already.

If the guy from Kerio would like to do something more productive than delete from this forum the procedure that worked for me (his "solution" loses the same data without curing the fault) I'll be happy to send him copies of the files/directories from my backup.

George
  •  
willowsv

The problem with the calender file I had was with peroperties.fld and NOT status.fld.

It is however status.fld that deals with the permissions if you open it you will see something along the lines of

user RXRXXXXR

Which is basically the rights and permissions to the folder Smile whatever it breaking it seems to be in properties
Previous Topic: Entourage 2004: Change from address
Next Topic: Webmail as default email client?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 03:09:49 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00517 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.