Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Anyone using 6.4.0 Blackberry support yet?
  •  
scottwilkins

Send a private message to this user
Is anyone using the Notify Blackberry support for Kerio 6.4.0 yet? If so what do you think? I love my personal SmartPhone and the OTA ability with Kerio. Unfortunately many users in my network use Blackberries instead of Palm or SmartPhone devices, so we've been waiting for this option. I'm a little put off by the $180/year "tax" on the use of Blackberries with Kerio though. I would have preferred this option be 100% Kerio instead of through a 3rd party.

What do you think?
  •  
My IT Indy

$180/year for Blackberry syncing isn't too bad, most hosted exchange providers charge for Palm syncing and BB syncing but give free syncing to WinMO users.

It's part of the game.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
scottwilkins

Something tells me that the "hosted exchange providers" may be stuck with this cost too. That just doesn't bode well with me. There's a definate carpetbagging feel to that problem.

We have signed up for the 30-day trial, using them as the hosting facility (instead of in-house, which would have been much more expensive for us) So far it seems super simple, and the positive things I've found so far is that they do provide a decent level of support. Though the goober that first helped me wasn't much help. But, a very straight foward product so far. Seems it will either work or not work. Hopefully we'll have some connectivity in the next day or two and I'll report how well we find it to work then.
  •  
jensonyu

Is it $180/yr per user or per server?
  •  
scottwilkins

$180 per year, per User. Or they also have an in-house setup that if you have a large number of users, it may be cheaper. Starts out at many thousands for that option though.
  •  
jensonyu

I just got a quote from them. The first year is $180, under the promotion. But the year after is $300/yr/user. OMG! Shocked
  •  
scottwilkins

Two of my Blackberry users just switched to Samsung Blackjacks. Very Happy

For obvious reasons. Why pay $300 per year, when on payment of $75 (current AT&T wireless promotion for Blackjacks) once will cover Kerio with Over-the-air Active Sync abilities. I'm looking to upgrade my Cingular 3125 to the Blackjack eventually, but waiting for Windows Mobile 6.0 first. Windows Mobile 5.0 does seem to require resets on at best a monthly basis, though some seem to need weekly. Not that Blackberries are perfect either, as one of my users has to reset his Blackberry occasionally.
  •  
jefflessard

Anyone has an opinion on the Blackberry support? Not just saying you switched.

thanks,
  •  
scottwilkins

We tried it out for the 30 day free trial, but nobody ended up using it. The service worked very nicely and we had no problems. Nobody wanted to pony up the cash for continued service though, especially since they could get a new PDA that was active sync compatible for less than 1 year service. We also were very put off by the inflexibility of their billing options for this service. They started out with "we help the individual user", but on billing they would only bill once for all users to the company, rather than the individual users. Since our users are sales oriented, the owners here wanted them to pay for this service out of their marketing costs as individuals, not from the company. That alone was the final nail that kept us from using it.
  •  
jshaw541

$180 per year per user seems insane to me, let alone $300 per year per user.

I'd think that Kerio is probably forced to charge this much due to upstream licensing costs. This is/was the situation with the McAfee stuff many years ago.

It's a shame, people rave about Blackberries and I've really liked what I've seen with the Curve. Unfortunately, it's closed, and no matter which direction I go, I need to pony up a lot of cash for connectivity.

These days, I recommend Windows Mobile devices, even though its my least favorite of the unholy trinity (PalmOS, Blackberry, Windows Mobile). The fact that it can sync with dang near everything can't be denied.

Chris from Kerio let me play with his Treo 750 for a few minutes at this year's WWDC and it's a really slick device. I ended up buying one the weekend after. I have too many PDA phones.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
scottwilkins

I can't agree with you more on the cost. But, that's what a proprietary system usually ends up with, is higher costs. The only real world plus I've seen with Blackberries over the "unholy trio" (I like that name, hope you don't mind me using it Smile is that they are a tad more rugged, and the screen tend to be more viewable in some lighting situations. Other than that, the operability is basically 1 for 1. Throw in the Kerio mix, and the Active Sync operability out shines the Blackberries hands down. I'd even say that would be true with a full Exchange server setup too. Somebody may have to correct me here, but I think it also costs quite a bit to get Blackberries working on Exchange, as you have to purchase, install and manage a package on the Exchange server.

What amazes me is that even as good as Active Sync is, there is obviously much room for improvement. This is a Microsoft issue though, not a Kerio one. I just guess we are a long way off yet on perfection in the hand held world.
Previous Topic: Message size exceeded server limit
Next Topic: The winmail.dat Problem
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 10:58:45 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00505 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.