Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Howto install Kerio mailserver on Ubuntu/Debian
  •  
djieno

Send a private message to this user
Hello! I've been trying to install Kerio mailserver on Ubuntu/Debian but somehow I coulnd't find a complete howto. It will start at bootup with a proper bootup script made by Paul McNett.

I really can't see why the most popular linux distribution isn't supported. Running a stripped down FC6 was still using 1.1 gig and 260 mb memory for a working KMS. I have Ubuntu server 6.06.1 running it in 600 mb and only 150 mb memory! Shocked I had no stability issues what so ever.

This is meant to be a copy / paste howto. Starting from a clean installation of Ubuntu Dapper Drake 6.06.1. x86

# Install openssh server for remote login. Now you copy paste the commands within a shell. Cool
sudo apt-get install ssh

# Ssh to your ubuntu/Debian to be Kerio mailserver machine from a desktop to be able to copy paste if from a console.
ssh your-keriomailserver-ip

# Grand console super user rights.
sudo -s

# Update /etc/apt/sources.list with source.list from http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_dapper#How_to_add_extra_r epositories. Add the gpg key.
wget -q http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/medibuntu-key.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

# First, make a backup of /var/lib/dpkg/status. Alien could break your dpkg database. To be safe copy it!
cp /var/lib/dpkg/status /var/lib/dpkg/status.start

# install alien
apt-get install alien

# Make a deb-file of the rpm [Writing this I'm using version kerio 6.3.1]. alien --scripts Filename.rpm
alien --scritps kerio-xxx-i386.rpm

# Do a "apt-get update" to see if /var/lib/dpkg/status has been broken up. If it has, replace it with the backup from backup copy we made before. "cp /var/lib/dpkg/status.start /var/lib/dpkg/status" I had this once.

# install kerio dependencies libstdc++5
apt-get install libstdc++5

# Install the created kerio_xxx-i386.deb. If you have trouble installing the .deb file with "dpkg -i filename.deb" try "dpkg --unpack filename.deb".
dpkg -i kerio_xxx-i386.deb

# Start kerio configuration script and set your preferences.
cd /opt/kerio/mailserver
./cfgwizard

Now it is time to set proper init script see attached file. Download the file and paste it in /etc/init.d/. The file should be called keriomailserver. so Vi /etc/init.d/keriomailserver should give you this script.

#Set Kerio to start at bootup in rc.d. Do not forget the last dot!
update-rc.d keriomailserver start 99 2 3 4 5 . stop 20 0 1 6 .

Done! Do a reboot and see Kerio mailserver nicely start at bootup.

I've tried to be as clear as I can. If you have any additions please pm me so I can alter this howto to prevent an unclear workflow. I really hate well intended but still bad/incomplete/absolete/unchecked howto's associated with Red Hat look-alikes. People using Ubuntu/Debian try to help out better!

Tell me if it works for you!

Djieno! Very Happy

[Updated on: Fri, 01 June 2007 19:36]

Running 100% Mikey$$oft free! Ubuntu is an African word meaning 'Humanity to others', or 'I am what I am because of who we all are'. The Ubuntu distribution brings the spirit of Ubuntu to the software world.
  •  
campodoro74

On Ubuntu 8.04, the .deb packages woudn't build. But I moved the kerio folder inside the temp kerio-kms-6.5.0 folder to /opt and that works. Kerio is now installed on my 8.04 Ubuntu mail server. Thanx!
  •  
sanraal

This guide should be made sticky, or Kerio should consider creating .deb packages and adding Debian/Ubuntu under supported systems Smile

I did this procedure about 1 year ago, but didn't know about this guide, so I did my own research and ended up with a working KMS on Debian(sarge). I finished only with 2 problems, broken /var/lib/dkpg/status (damn alien... didn't know it was responsible for it) and no initscript, so I wrote one myself.

Thanks for the guide, especially for the alien-dkpgstatus hint!

KMS+debian=stableKMS Very Happy
Previous Topic: Mac OS X Server upgrade - how to move Kerio settings
Next Topic: out of office WITHOUT receiving mail + some other issues
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 12:30:08 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00444 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.