Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » split domain
  •  
rleslie

Send a private message to this user
Got kind of a weird question.

But my company is about to acquire another company that has a small office where they use exchange 2007. Since KOC offline is not ready yet, i'm weary of taking them off of exchange since i think they all store their email on the server.

Is there a way to do split domain with Kerio and an exchange server? i see the option in domain to forward to an outside address if user not found...should i try that?
  •  
BudDurland

This should be pretty easy, although there's one step I'm uncertain about. In the domain set up, on the forwarding tab, is an option to send mail to another host if the recipient isn't found. So, the set up is roughly like so:

In Kerio, create the domain for the new company ('acme.com')

In the Acme.com users list on Kerio, add the users that you want to use the Kerio server.

In the Acme.com domain settings, set forwarding for "not found" recipients to the IP address of the new company's Exchange server

Configure the Exchange server to relay outgoing mail through your Kerio server

Here's the part I'm not sure of. Let's say 'joe<_a.t_>acme.com' wants to send a message to 'jane<_a.t_>acme.com'. Joe is still on the Exchange server, Jane is on kerio. I think exchange has a similar "forward is recipient not found" function. If not, I'm not sure what the correct step is.

Change the new company's DNS configuration so that inbound mail come to your Kerio server.

Hope this helps

Good is better than evil because it's nicer
--Mammy Yokum
  •  
rleslie

Well, i think one of the problems is we would eventually want to ween them off of their old domain and have them use ours.

So, pretend their domain is acme.com and our domain is brick.com. We would point their mx record to our ip and set up a virtual domain. If we then went to our domain and said if name is not found go to this ip address, i think we would be opening ourselves to quite a bit of spam going to the new company.

I guess the question is could they be brick.com and we as well? I don't think it's possible with Kerio. But could be wrong?
  •  
BudDurland

It seems to me, that you could set up your domain (brick.com) in Kerio. Define 'acme.com' and a domain alias ("Alias" tab in Domain setup in Kerio administrator). Now, the e-mail addresses 'jdoe<_a.t_>brick.com' and 'jdoe<_a.t_>acme.com' are logically equivalent to Kerio, and will be delivered to jdoe's account in brick.com.

Update DNS for both 'brick.com' and 'acme.com' to point to the same host name.

Now, you actually have a couple options:

1) You can configure the domain to forward messages to unknown users to another IP address (the Exchange server). I *think* Kerio does it's anti-spam checking before forwarding the message, but you should ask them -- I'm not sure.

2) This options a bit more complex. Configure an alternate host name in your *local* DNS for the exchange server (ex.acme.com). Configure Exchange to accept that as the equivalent of 'acme.com'. Now set up the Kerio user account to forward all mail to 'jdoe<_a.t_>ex.acme.com'

Good is better than evil because it's nicer
--Mammy Yokum
Previous Topic: Kerio webmail and apache
Next Topic: Login Name = default Mail Address ???
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 02:07:54 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00450 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.