Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Migration from Exchange 5.5 under NT 4.0
  •  
LeCyb

Send a private message to this user
What I have:
- NT 4.0 domain (MYDOMAIN)
- 1 NT 4.0 PDC
- 1 NT 4.0 with Exchange 5.5

What I want:
- Native Active Directory domain (newdomain.lan)
- 1 Windows 2003 DC
- 1 Windows 2003 with Kerio

For the migration I bought 2 new servers, I created the new AD domain and use a trust between the two domains.
Like that I can migrate shared data and applications later.

First problem:

White paper about Exchange to Kerio migration says that the Kerio Migration Tool need to be installed on the Exchange server.
When I test it, the Migration tool says that KOC need to be installed too. But KOC don't want to be installed on NT 4.0 (2000 or later).
Any idea is welcome.

Second problem:

I don't know if it is the best scenario but I think I'll do that:

1) Install Kerio in AD domain.
2) Install Kerio AD extension.
3) Migrate users from NT to AD with ADMT.
4) Migrate from Exchange to Kerio.
5) Users will use webmail whil I'm installing KOC everywhere.

At step 3), what I need to configure in Kerio before step 4) ?
Does Kerio keep the link between mailboxes and windows user account at step 4) ?

Maybe there is another way to do the migration ?

Thank you for your help.
  •  
Nixs

For the KOC install, could you install a Windows 2000 Domain Controller as a member/secondary server into the NT 4.0 domain? Maybe a temporary box?
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

LeCyb wrote on Sat, 16 June 2007 18:45

First problem:

White paper about Exchange to Kerio migration says that the Kerio Migration Tool need to be installed on the Exchange server.
When I test it, the Migration tool says that KOC need to be installed too. But KOC don't want to be installed on NT 4.0 (2000 or later).
Any idea is welcome.

Migration Tool can run on 3rd computer with W2000 or XP and installed Outlook (preferably 2003). It is not necessary to run Migration Tool on Exchange server.
Quote:

Second problem:

I don't know if it is the best scenario but I think I'll do that:

3) Migrate users from NT to AD with ADMT.
4) Migrate from Exchange to Kerio.
5) Users will use webmail whil I'm installing KOC everywhere.

At step 3), what I need to configure in Kerio before step 4) ?
Does Kerio keep the link between mailboxes and windows user account at step 4) ?

Maybe there is another way to do the migration ?

Thank you for your help.

Yes. These are exact steps for migration. If you configure email domain in KMS (before step 4) with users from new AD, migration will use existing accounts in KMS. Otherwise it will create a new local accounts for all users.
  •  
LeCyb

I tested the migration tool on another computer in the domain.
The trick is to put the name of the exchange server in the shortcut ("C:\...exe" NAME_HERE).
I didn't find that in the current manual (or in the white paper) but in find it in an old manual... more than 1 year old ! ( http://web.archive.org/web/20060212063839/www.kerio.com/manu al/kms/en/ch36s05.html)

Quote:

Yes. These are exact steps for migration. If you configure email domain in KMS (before step 4) with users from new AD, migration will use existing accounts in KMS. Otherwise it will create a new local accounts for all users.

English is not my first language, so if I understand well:
3a) Migrate users from NT to AD with ADMT.
3b) Import user accounts (not the maiboxes) from NT or AD into Kerio.
4) Migrate from Exchange to Kerio. <--- here Kerio will link automatically the migrated mailboxes with the imported user accounts ? It could be very very nice Smile
5) Users will use webmail while I'm installing KOC everywhere.

Another thing, I imported an account with an accent in the name (let says "Sébastien") and the imported account is "S□bastien" with a square. I used an updated Outlook 2000, maybe the problem can disappear with Outlook 2003 ?

Thank you very much for your help Smile
Previous Topic: Exporting from KOC to PST
Next Topic: Move from External Email Domain to New Kerio Server Domain
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 12:20:35 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00384 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.