Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » E-Mail Archiving and New Federal Rules
  •  
BobH

Send a private message to this user
I recently attended a meeting at my company to discuss the new federal rules for "e-discovery" and I'm certainly concerned about our current situation. E-mail is an essential part of business since it has become the primary means of communicating with our customers, vendors job candidates, etc. And we get a lot of e-mail!

A main issue with litigation is that in the event of a lawsuit, the new regulations stipulate that discovery happens at the front end of the process and things discovered afterwards may not be admissable. This puts a lot of pressure on IT (me!) to do a thorough search. Of course, what you find can either help or hurt you.

If I was asked to do this right now, it would involve uncompressing weekly archives going back who knows how long and doing text searches on who knows how many terms and e-mail addresses. Then you have to be able to reproduce the e-mails in native format. Not a project I'm looking forward to.

To me, the ideal candidate to develop capabilities to address these concerns as well as a way to manage users mailboxes (a problem well before the new federal rules arrived) is the mailserver vendor, Kerio.

What an opportunity for Kerio. They either develop these capabilities as added functionality to KerioMail and give them a tremdous competetive advantage over their competition or (more likely) they make this capability an add-on product and generate more sales. It would be similar to the development of SPAM blocking.

I'm fairly certain this is becoming an issue for many of you admins out there. If so, I would encourage you to fill out a trouble ticket recommending that Kerio develop such a product and demonstrate to them that there is an unfulfilled need that need filling.
  •  
rogerm

InBoxer is currently deploying with Kerio customers with a product for the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. Here are some details about email archiving and electronic discovery.

I would be happy to discuss it with you.

Roger Matus
Email Blog
  •  
the_creative_partnership

Another product that came to my attention recently was Mail Robot X from JPY. They seem to have developed it for in-house use before realising that it's a pretty attractive product.

Warning though... it ain't cheap! To say the least. Perhaps if there's enough interest but people are baulking at the price, they can be convinced to come down some.

It's a shame, because it's a great product, but I'm not even vaguely tempted to pay 3 times what my mail-server SW cost just to database the mail.

My tuppence...

Dan
  •  
BobH

The e-mail compliance market is fairly new and most products are aimed at large corporate customers who present a larger litigation target and are more likely to adopt these products. It follows that the products tend to be pricey as well.

But 3rd party software only addresses the archival part of the equation. They understandably don't address the user mailbox management side of things. That's why I see the most effective product coming out of Kerio. They could make this an integrated product with policies that control when e-mail moves out of a users mailbox and into an archival state, still accessible but properly saved.

Alternatively, Kerio could partner with someone else who has developed a product and integrate that into Keriomail, much the way they have with McAfee. I would still see managing the user e-mail box an integral part of this.
  •  
the_creative_partnership

I see where you're coming from on the target base for these products, and I think it's a shame that it has taken legislation for people to start developing these products. From our point of view (being UK based), it's not necessarily about legal requiremenets (although we have to bear these in mind), but more about the fact that our users have a vast amount of mail that the often need to reference, but that we don't want to be goverend by their quotas or be live on the mail server.

I agree, that Kerio would be well placed to develop an accompanying product that could target our requirements here, but I am also aware that it doesn't necessarily have to be a particularly complex product to develop and may be better done by a third party for whom it forms a more core market than as an add-on to the core product.
Previous Topic: How can I archive all inbound/outbound emails ????
Next Topic: KMS' features under OS X
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 01:49:26 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00435 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.