Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » iPhone Exchange and IMAP issue with KMS
  •  
jimmysun

Send a private message to this user
I tried connecting an iPhone 8GB to KMS 6.4.0 running on Mac OS X, and I am experiencing the following problems.

KMS is set up so all services are running

I used to use a Samsung Blackjack running Windows Mobile 5, accessing KMS using Exchange protocol. I was able to view all messages OK, deleted messages were moved to "Deleted Items" folder on KMS, and sent messages were stored in "Sent Items" folder on KMS, all automatically. This allowed me to view/delete messages on the road, essentially managing my INBOX only once. When I go to the office, my Mac Entourage's INBOX (connecting to KMS using Exchange protocol) is already sync'ed, not missing a beat, all was well...

Now that I have an iPhone...
If I set up an Exchange account on iPhone, it cannot see any other folders on the server (only INBOX is available). All new messages come through to iPhone fine. However, messages deleted on the iPhone appear to move to a local "Trash" folder, but stay in INBOX on KMS instead of being moved to "Deleted Items". Messages sent from iPhone are stored in a local "Sent" folder, not recorded on KMS. So when I go to my office computer, I have to manage all messages again in Entourage on Mac, and don't have a record of what I've sent on the road. I cannot designate where deleted and sent message need to be stored because none of those folder from the server show up in the list on iPhone.

If I set up an IMAP account on iPhone, it sees all folders (and sub-folders), can see all message subject lines, but cannot retrieve message body (just says Loading and keeps spinning). If I delete a message, it does move to "Deleted Items" folder on KMS as I have designated.

If I set up BOTH an Exchange and IMAP account on iPhone to access the SAME account on KMS, all messages come through both protocols (IMAP message body problem is fixed), however deleted messages still stay in INBOX on KMS. AND, only NEW messages are fully viewable, if I navigate to any one of the other folders on the server (those Exchange cannot see), I can still only view subject line but not the entire message.

Bottom line:
It appears an IMAP account on iPhone doesn't work by itself with KMS, and somehow if Exchange protocol is enabled to access the same message, then IMAP works fine. However Exchange prevents IMAP from putting messages in different folders.

I'm POSITIVE that Apple had done their share of testing connecting to IMAP servers, so I tend to think this problem may be KMS related. But since KMS had required so little maintenance on my part in the past, I have had the amount of practice to trouble-shoot this problem, so it's entirely possible that I did (or did not do) something.

Is anyone else having the same issue? Can anyone recommend any changes in the way I have set up either KMS or iPhone to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Jimmy Sun
  •  
thnetila

iPhone IMAP configuration works fine for me.

I let iTunes to synchronize my email account setting. It also setup special purpose folders (Drafts, Sent Items and Deleted Items) on iPhone.
Drafts and Sent Items folders were configured correctly, but there was a small problem with Deleted Items. iPhone created new Deleted Items under my INBOX. I'm not sure, may be it was my mistake when I was playing with iPhone configuration.
So, I corrected it manually and now it is Ok. I can see messages deleted on iPhone in correct folder on the server.

I have only one problem. iPhone doesn't show subfolders under INBOX folder. It presume it is iPhone bug. I have never had this problem with any other IMAP client connected to my KMS.
  •  
Martin Viktora (Kerio)

I am using an 8GB iPhone without any apparent problems. It is configured to use an IMAP account (not Exchange) and in Settings => Mail => KMS Account I scrolled to the Advanced menu and set the following mappings:

"Drafts Mailbox" to "Drafts",
"Sent Mailbox" to "Sent Items"
"Deleted Mailbox" to "Deleted Items"

•  
winkelman

I don't believe the iPhone has been developed with the 'business user' in mind, so perhaps these protocols are not as well implemented as you'd wish...

Question: does the iPhone sync the Calendar, Contacts and Tasks as well as email when in 'Exchange mode'?
  •  
jimmysun

Problem solved!

I deleted all mail accounts on the iPhone and recreated just an IMAP account and everything works fine. It appears if an Exchange account AND an IMAP account are set up at the same time on iPhone, Exchange overrides IMAP.

Thanks to all who replied!
  •  
airdog242

Does this mean we should not let the iPhone sync with our email accounts on
our MAC.

I have 5 accounts on my mac and they all came over. They all send and receive but when I delete on the iPhone, its still on the MAC & Kerio Server.

Is the solution to just delete all the accounts and set them up on a manual basis?

Thanks
  •  
JoshuaOK

Kerio_mv wrote on Sun, 01 July 2007 23:06

I am using an 8GB iPhone without any apparent problems. It is configured to use an IMAP account (not Exchange) and in Settings => Mail => KMS Account I scrolled to the Advanced menu and set the following mappings:

"Drafts Mailbox" to "Drafts",
"Sent Mailbox" to "Sent Items"
"Deleted Mailbox" to "Deleted Items"

Could you clarify how you make these mappings? Thanks!
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

See the iPhone User's Guide, page 49.

Quote:

Adjust advanced settings

From the Home screen choose Settings > Mail > Accounts, choose an account, then do one of the following:

To set whether drafts, sent messages, and deleted messages are stored on iPhone or remotely on your email server (IMAP accounts only), tap Advanced and choose Drafts Mailbox, Sent Mailbox, or Deleted Mailbox.
If you store messages on iPhone, you can see them even when iPhone isn’t connected to the Internet.

"
  •  
Lyle M

thnetila wrote on Sun, 01 July 2007 20:28

iPhone IMAP configuration works fine for me.

I have only one problem. iPhone doesn't show subfolders under INBOX folder. It presume it is iPhone bug. I have never had this problem with any other IMAP client connected to my KMS.

We have this problem consistently with Apple Mail.app. Users that drag items to the inbox using Mail report that the email has vanished. However, the message ends up in one of the sub folders and can be accessed via Entourage or webmail. I imagine there's no coincidence that this problem appears on the iPhone as well.

I'm certain there will be some iPhone software updates affecting these areas by the time Leopard is released.

Cheers,
Lyle
  •  
tomn68

Looking for some advice I can pass on to my IT guy.

From the iPhone with my kerio account setup as an exchange account I can see my folders, receive email, can move email to folders which updates the server (when in Webmail) but I can not send email to anyone outside of our domain.

The other issue is that with the exchange setup in Entourage, it doesn't delete emails from my inbox but if I do see a deleted folder under my inbox that has a copy of the email deleted from the iphone but will still have a copy in my entourage inbox.

Wondering if I don't have entourage setup in the best way to keep folders in sync.
  •  
Martin Viktora (Kerio)

tomn68 wrote on Wed, 04 July 2007 10:57

Looking for some advice I can pass on to my IT guy.

From the iPhone with my kerio account setup as an exchange account I can see my folders, receive email, can move email to folders which updates the server (when in Webmail) but I can not send email to anyone outside of our domain.

On your iPhone, in email account settings, make sure you have filled out the "User Name" and "Password" for the "Outgoing Mail Server".

If that does not make it, check with your IT guys to enable sending email to any domain for authenticated users on KMS.
  •  
tomn68

Hmm. Tried that. DIdn't work. I can send email to only those within our domain but not anyone else. It's as if I'm being blocked from sending to anyone outside of my domain receiving a message 'the recipient was rejected by the server'.

Also, not sure if anyone has hit this but when on Wi-Fi I can't send to even those inside of my domain either. I can still receive but can't send to anyone using the kerio account but my .mac and gmail accounts work fine. This occurs on my home wifi and at work. Possibly a port issue for sending mail?

Doesn't sound like the two issues are related though.
  •  
JoshuaOK

tomn68 wrote on Thu, 05 July 2007 09:34

Hmm. Tried that. DIdn't work. I can send email to only those within our domain but not anyone else. It's as if I'm being blocked from sending to anyone outside of my domain receiving a message 'the recipient was rejected by the server'.

Also, not sure if anyone has hit this but when on Wi-Fi I can't send to even those inside of my domain either. I can still receive but can't send to anyone using the kerio account but my .mac and gmail accounts work fine. This occurs on my home wifi and at work. Possibly a port issue for sending mail?

Doesn't sound like the two issues are related though.

It really sounds like there are issues with your SMTP server configuration. You can test this by setting up you iPhone to send mail using a different server. Sign up for a .mac email account with Apple and use that server and you .mac account info as your outgoing email server on iPhone. If you can send that way, it will prove to your IT guy that the problem is in the Kerio config.
  •  
tomn68

Well I've setup an account on the phone for KMS using exchange and then put in my .mac smtp as the outgoing server but .mac will reject it because it's not coming from a .mac email address even with authentication setup.

Just to give something else a try I setup my kms account in OSX Mail as an exchange account with my kerio server (mail.xxxx.com) for outgoing and can send to anyone regardless of domain. So that works so I'm not sure why this wouldn't work on the phone with the same settings.

What I don't get is why if I'm on the wireless with the phone I can't send anything. WHen I'm on Edge, I can send internally only. But when I'm at home on my wireless with my computer and no VPN I can send email through entourage or mail to anyone.

I can try IMAP forgive my ignorance on the subject but wouldn't this then require me to be online to view any email or will this save locally as well and then just try to sync up?
JoshuaOK

tomn68 wrote on Thu, 05 July 2007 14:25

Well I've setup an account on the phone for KMS using exchange and then put in my .mac smtp as the outgoing server but .mac will reject it because it's not coming from a .mac email address even with authentication setup.

Just to give something else a try I setup my kms account in OSX Mail as an exchange account with my kerio server (mail.xxxx.com) for outgoing and can send to anyone regardless of domain. So that works so I'm not sure why this wouldn't work on the phone with the same settings.

What I don't get is why if I'm on the wireless with the phone I can't send anything. WHen I'm on Edge, I can send internally only. But when I'm at home on my wireless with my computer and no VPN I can send email through entourage or mail to anyone.

I can try IMAP forgive my ignorance on the subject but wouldn't this then require me to be online to view any email or will this save locally as well and then just try to sync up?

You might try that. My iPhone setup that way and I'm having no problems. I can also view my messages when I'm offline.
Previous Topic: Webmail DMZ advice
Next Topic: Read calendar events and tasks
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 14:32:47 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00575 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.