Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Posting Announcements from Kerio Webmail Login
  •  
JamesG

Send a private message to this user
I have submitted this as a feature request already, but was wondering if anyone has put together some PHP code to allow for the posting of rudimentary announcements on the Kerio webmail login page.

Example usage: The server will be down on Saturday at noon for an upgrade.

Other possible usages: Display public calendar items.

Right now, I'm going in to the page code and altering the main page to show a couple of links and other text. It would be nice to accomplish this from the Admin utility.

James
  •  
JamesG

Our sales engineer has essentially told me to bugger off regarding this request.

Obviously I am not submitting feature requests thru the proper channels. Would someone kindly inform me of the correct procedure?

One of the reasons we bought Kerio was so that feature requests would be handled professionally. No matter how trivial, they need to be logged somewhere. If they are judged to be not worth it by the development team in the long run, that is fine, but I don't appreciate it happening at the bottom rung of the ladder by a sales support associate.

James

[Updated on: Fri, 06 July 2007 21:10]

•  
winkelman

JamesG wrote on Fri, 06 July 2007 21:08

Would someone kindly inform me of the correct procedure?

http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&th=8468&star t=0&S=1ee065a466df1cbfdc48c47196d78000
  •  
jshaw541

JamesG wrote on Fri, 06 July 2007 12:08

Our sales engineer has essentially told me to bugger off regarding this request.

Obviously I am not submitting feature requests thru the proper channels. Would someone kindly inform me of the correct procedure?

One of the reasons we bought Kerio was so that feature requests would be handled professionally. No matter how trivial, they need to be logged somewhere. If they are judged to be not worth it by the development team in the long run, that is fine, but I don't appreciate it happening at the bottom rung of the ladder by a sales support associate.

When browsing Internet web forums, it helps to browse the stickied topics before posting as they often contain help for new users and answers to FAQs (frequently-asked questions). The stickied topic at the following URL answers your questions:

http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&th=11116&sta rt=0&S=56ac4ee8927ae44bac70449709bc7dfc

HTH

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
jshaw541

JamesG wrote on Fri, 06 July 2007 09:21

I have submitted this as a feature request already, but was wondering if anyone has put together some PHP code to allow for the posting of rudimentary announcements on the Kerio webmail login page.

This would be trivial for someone fluent in PHP to implement. You could simply insert the announcement into the appropriate place in /default/login.php or better yet, insert an include("announcement.php") statement in the appropriate place and add announcements to a file called announcement.php.

Anything included in announcement.php will then be included in the login.php page.

A few things to remember:

- Make a backup, especially of the login.php page, in this case.
- Find someone fluent in PHP. As you asked this question, you are not, so find a coworker/buddy Wink. It's important it's done right.
- This is not supported by Kerio. If you mess something up, you're on your own.
- The login.php page will probably be overwritten each time you update KMS, so you'll need to re-add the changes to the updated login.php file.
- This is not supported by Kerio.
- Find someone fluent in PHP.
- This is not supported by Kerio!

Windows Server 2003 SP 1
~1300 users
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
  •  
JamesG

jshaw541 wrote on Mon, 09 July 2007 18:28

This would be trivial for someone fluent in PHP to implement. You could simply insert the announcement into the appropriate place in /default/login.php or better yet, insert an include("announcement.php") statement in the appropriate place and add announcements to a file called announcement.php.

Well, if it was truly trivial, it wouldn't be an issue for Kerio to add this feature in their product. Wink

Quote:

- Find someone fluent in PHP. As you asked this question, you are not, so find a coworker/buddy Wink. It's important it's done right.

I can do a simple solution myself in PHP without a problem, but I prefer to not reinvent the wheel if someone's got a very nice solution already in place. I also prefer not to have to redo the templates with every Kerio upgrade, which is why I'm asking for it as a feature.

I am adamant about getting feature requests considered because we just migrated to Kerio from a single-programmer server who shot down requests instantly based on his own opinions, disregarding modern practices and customer preferences. We paid a lot of money for Kerio and it's a small thing to ask for a feature request to be logged.

Thanks to those who provided the links, I will be using that method to submit feature requests.

James

[Updated on: Mon, 09 July 2007 18:54]

•  
jshaw541

JamesG wrote on Mon, 09 July 2007 09:53

Well, if it was truly trivial, it wouldn't be an issue for Kerio to add this feature in their product. Wink

It's not as trivial for Kerio. They have to implement the PHP, implement it in the Admin Console, implement announcement storage in an XML file, write up end-user documentation, and test it.

Quote:

I can do a simple solution myself in PHP without a problem, but I prefer to not reinvent the wheel if someone's got a very nice solution already in place.

A simple wheel/hack would take a few minutes.

Quote:

I also prefer not to have to redo the templates with every Kerio upgrade, which is why I'm asking for it as a feature.

I am adamant about getting feature requests considered because we just migrated to Kerio from a single-programmer server who shot down requests instantly based on his own opinions, disregarding modern practices and customer preferences. We paid a lot of money for Kerio and it's a small thing to ask for a feature request to be logged.

Then I would suggest submitting a feature request via the proper links provided. Sales people are not equipped to take formal feature requests. You're already publicly-crucifying Kerio Support before you've submitted it to the proper channels.

If your description of your interaction with your sales rep is accurate, I would take that up with his supervisor.

Windows Server 2003 SP 1
~1300 users
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
  •  
cachedmode

Well I wouldn't go as far as to say that James' is "publicly-crucifying" Kerio but it remains pretty clear that you are still their loudest cheerleader.

I will submit the same feature request (although none of the dozens I've made over the years have been implemented yet)..
  •  
JamesG

jshaw541 wrote on Mon, 09 July 2007 22:56

You're already publicly-crucifying Kerio Support before you've submitted it to the proper channels.

That's not an informed response. Our sales engineer told me we could submit feature requests thru him prior to our final purchase of Kerio. I had already given him several requests in the last couple of months, but in this case was taken aback by the bluntness of the "no" reply (obviously, AFTER our purchase which only serves to aggravate the issue).

If he had told me the correct procedure up front, instead of offering to take my feature requests and file them himself, I would not need to be making a gripe about this whole deal.

So bottom line, I now have the correct procedure and will use that for all future requests. Thanks for the replies.

James
  •  
winkelman

JamesG wrote on Tue, 10 July 2007 00:37

...I now have the correct procedure and will use that for all future requests...

To 'warn' you: you may get disappointed.

Yes, there's an official feature request procedure. But after making the request, that's probably the last you'll here of it. Until perhaps you find your request implemented.

I've made my share of feature request, some request made also by lot's of others, but still: it's anyone's guess if and when they get implemented. There's no public list anyways...
Previous Topic: new email notification
Next Topic: koc 6.4 and outlook 2007
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 00:27:33 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00451 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.