Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Trial not installing in Vista x64
  •  
rommoroeniton

Send a private message to this user
I've tried Winroute (Trial) x64 on a machine in my company (most of the machines we bought are on Vista x64), and i've noticed when installing, Winroute tells that you need to disable the driver signing.

Rebooted, pressed F8 and disabled the option to verify driver signatures.

Ran again the Trial installation and it told me that the signed driver protection was on.

Sorry for the messy english, it's not my native language Razz
  •  
silentone

Darnit... This is the third Firewall/NAT Product I was thinking about getting but it's also the third one to disappoint me by not working on Vista x64... I know, Microsoft went a little overboard with their protection stuff, but it's really sad to see that there is no sensible NAT software out there Sad
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

KWF does work fine on 64-bit Vista. Installation procedure is described in the manual (http://www.kerio.com/manual/kwf/en/ch02s03.html). In short, all you have to do is confirm intstallation of unsigned driver.

[Updated on: Tue, 25 December 2007 16:06]

•  
silentone

Hm, are you certain? I can't test it really all taht much right now cause I'm using a different PC for the holidays and installing stuff via vnc ist a pain, but the steps you see in the quoted manual CAN'T work, cause the manual shows the "Figure 2.2. Installation — verifying compatibility of the low-level driver with Windows XP" dialog that does not exist in Vista x64 cause Microsoft build in a feature that tells Vista that not even Admins are allowed to install unsigned kernel mode drivers...
Vista has a special boot mode to allow unsigned drivers, but even in this mode, the installation package does not start telling me:
http://nef.wh.uni-dortmund.de/~silentguy/DriverSigning.jpg
If I'm just being stupid, please tell me what I'm doing wrong...

EDIT: And I did of cause check the KB article given, but it does not apply to vista and the options it gives do not exist for vista

[Updated on: Tue, 25 December 2007 18:06]

•  
Jan Jezek (Kerio)

The drivers do work and are tested with Windows Vista x64.

For some reason the installer believes it would not be able to install the drivers. Is your PC a domain memeber? Please make sure your domain policy does not forbid unsigned driver installation. Also make sure that HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Driver Signing\Policy equals to 00.

Jan Jezek
Product Development Manager - Kerio Control
Kerio Technologies
  •  
silentone

Hm, it IS set to 00 and I'm not a member of any domain...
Where else is there that the installer could be looking for this info? I've been browsing in the group policies but I haven't found anything about it...

But it is really annoying to have to go into this special windows mode just to get this driver to run anyway... just out of curiosity... is it problematic to get drivers signed?
  •  
Jan Jezek (Kerio)

No special mode is required. These are the registry values the installer queries. They all should be either not existing or set to zero.

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Driver Signing\BehaviorOnFailedVerify
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Driver Signing\Policy

HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Driver Signing\BehaviorOnFailedVerify
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Driver Signing\Policy

Jan Jezek
Kerio Technologies
  •  
silentone

Thanks, changing the last one while in the special mode worked...
i'm pretty certain the special mode is needed... at least according to pages like:
http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=718602 or
http://www.osnews.com/story.php/13388/Windows-Vista-x64-To-R equire-Signed-Drivers/ or ...

or am I reading them wrong... oh well, the installer start, will try actually installing it when I'm back in front of the pc...
  •  
Jan Jezek (Kerio)

Just boot your Vista normally and you'll see. Wink

May I ask what was the original value you had under the last registry key?

Jan Jezek
Kerio Technologies
  •  
silentone

Damn, now I'm really curious if all those posts I had were wrong, but I can't test it cause my PC is not set up to reboot properly if I'm not there to enter passwords...

I hope I remember everything right...
HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Driver Signing\BehaviorOnFailedVerify
HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Driver Signing\BehaviorOnFailedVerify
were not existant

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Driver Signing\Policy
was set to 00

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Driver Signing\Policy
was set to 02

*sigh* I hate it if microsoft wants to help and makes stuff "more secure", "easier to use" etc... Might be usefull for some, but I'm usually annoyed Razz
Previous Topic: How to config KWF to remotely control a computer in LAN from a computer at home
Next Topic: PLEASE HELP ME
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 16:01:42 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00452 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.