Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Slow Internet
  •  
anakena

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

When I connect to the internet with winroute turned off my connection is very fast but when I turn winroute on it slows down to less than 1/3 of the speed. I'm positive that there are no other users slowing it down and the bandwidth limiter is turned off. Does anyone know what could be slowing it down?

Chris
  •  
awgneo

Instead of using the Windows Filtering Platform as they should be doing, Kerio decided to make a poorly coded kernel driver to handle their packet modification needs. Unfortunately it is by design and the only thing that may make it better is disabling all of the protocol inspectors and the anti-virus nonsense. Good luck.

-awgneo
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

awgneo wrote on Thu, 12 July 2007 09:48

Instead of using the Windows Filtering Platform as they should be doing, Kerio decided to make a poorly coded kernel driver to handle their packet modification needs. Unfortunately it is by design and the only thing that may make it better is disabling all of the protocol inspectors and the anti-virus nonsense. Good luck.

-awgneo

Razz This is sweet.
How would you know that driver is 'poorly coded'?

WFP is not in Windows XP and 2000.
  •  
anakena

Thanks for the info. Where do I disable the protocol inspectors? I already had the antivirus turned off but it didn't make any difference.

Chris
  •  
winkelman

What's your Internet speed? My companies connection is 50Mbit (both ways) and I can fully use that bandwidth without KWF breaking a sweat (CPU load <10%). And I do use extensive filtering and AV scanning. Are you sure KWF is 'to blame'?

Sometimes NIC drivers cause issues, mostly Realtek NIC's.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 July 2007 12:01]

•  
anakena

My internet speed is already slow 900-1100kbit download and 300 kbit upload. We are using 3G as our internet connection as the system is on a yacht and we have no connection to the land. I am assuming it is winroute because if I turn winroute off then everything is fine on the machine with the connection.
  •  
winkelman

What KWF version are you running?

What brands are the two (LAN & WAN) network cards in the router PC?
  •  
anakena

Winroute Version 6.3.1. The network card is a HP NC320i PCIe Gigabit Server Adaptor. The machine with winroute installed is running windows server 2003 R2 Service pack 2. The internet comes via a Huawei USB 3G modem. No wireless network cards are installed.

Chris
  •  
Pepo

I've the same problem.

I've a DSL connection (2.4 Mbit/s in Down / 356 Kbit/s in Upload), but the ADSL Test (DSL TEST SITE) give me a max speed of 930 Kb/s.
Considerating that my internet provider doesn't guarantee the velocity of the line, a correct speed would have be about 1.9 Mb/s.

PS: Kerio WinRoute FW has the Bandwith Limiter is turned off.

My configuration:
SERVER PC with Kerio WinRoute FW 6.3.1
Connected to DSL by Fastrate 100 USB Modem
Pentium III 450 MHz
256 MB RAM

CLIENT PC with Windows Firewall / AVG Free
Connected to DSL by LAN
Pentium IV 2.4 GHz
1 GB RAM
  •  
dougchil

I have had this problem using USB connection on ADSL modems as soon as I switched it to the ethernet connection problem solved

From my view I can see no reason this to happen as the internet speed would be fine with the firewall shutdown and in one case not even the firewall machine could connect using the USB connection

not sure if any G3 modems have this feature thought
  •  
anakena

At least I'm not the only person with this problem. No, unfortunately the 3G modem only has usb connections. I have written to Kerio but still have not heard back.
  •  
Babe

I have recently upgraded my computer and WRF to 6.3.1.
I am also facing the very similar problem.
My line speed is around 600kb uplink and 6000kb downlink (kbit)
If the uplink reach its limit, downlink speed will be lower to 60kb......it is hundred times slower !
If I disable WRF, everything back to normal.
I have also tried disable all the Protocol Inspectors, but it won't help !
I have never encounted such problem in WRF older than 6.0~

I like using WRF, its interface is great and function is great !
However start from 6.0 till now, still lots of problems.....and feeling some disappointment.
I understand that to implement those firewall function in just software level is quite difficult. So cheer up and work hard !

Finally I figured it out, it is problem of the build-in MCAFEE.
Disable and delete it manually, it should help.
The build-in Mcafee is really sucks !

[Updated on: Wed, 12 September 2007 18:36]

•  
Babe

Sad

[Updated on: Fri, 14 September 2007 04:51]

Previous Topic: why MSN & Yahoo are bypassing?
Next Topic: how to make my webserver show up online?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 16:44:46 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00460 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.