Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Result: delayed, Status: 4.4.2 Connection lost
  •  
Carnifex

Send a private message to this user
Hello Guys,

Lately Im having a problem sending email to the hotmail.com domain. It displays the next line in the log file:
Quote:

Result: delayed, Status: 4.4.2 Connection lost

Ive searched google and this forum. One of the solutions suggested was to uncheck the "Use SSL..." option on the SMTP delivery tab.

This doesnt help at all. I also checked some blocklists, but my IP is not on it.

Im running Kerio Mailserver 6.4.0.
Server delivers directly, not on to a relay smtp server.

A test on telnet does deliver an email from the server.
I hope that anyone is able to assist? Am I completely missing some thing?

Kind regards,

Johan
  •  
rleslie70

i am having the exactly same issue. only with one email address. hmmmmmmm. and i can also telnet to the smtp port of it's mx record. and i send email from yahoo account, it goes through fine.

If you've found an answer please post. thx
  •  
Carnifex

Unfortunality I dont have a solution yet. I do hope one of the Kerio guy's is looking into this topic and will help us with it.

Ive been browsing for a while now on the internet, using google etc, but cant find a solution anywhere, but the problem is stated on a couple of forums.

Ive tried every possible option I think. I hope you will find soon our desired answer and share it with me...

Greetzz Carnifex
  •  
winkelman

You you have a proper PTR (reverse DNS) record implemented for your domain/mail server? That is something Hotmail (and a lot of other mail servers) demand these days...
  •  
rleslie70

I do have a proper ptr record. Actually looks like my issue resolved itself. My last email platform had what they termed a 'skip' file...if it couldn't deliver email to a certain domain it would put the domain in the skip file and you can specify how long a domain was in a skip file. If an address was in the skip file, the email server wouldn't even attempt to make a delivery.

I don't see anything in kerio that acts like a skip file. But i wonder if my issue arose from problems at the other domain and it took my email server a while to realize that it could send to that domain.

I don't know....does kerio cache domains anywhere?
  •  
Carnifex

Thanx for your reply Winkelman.

Ive changed the Internet Hostname and it seems to be quite succesfull.

My messages dont show up in the queue now. Im getting another error now, but Im sure this is a spam related issue like a blocklist or something.

So far I think your contribution is very helpfull. When I manage to receive a message on the hotmail.com domain from my server Ill report back on this topic.

As I said Im quite sure its a spam issue that remains now, but to be really sure I have to look further into this.

You hear from me asap.

Thanx

[Updated on: Tue, 24 July 2007 16:19]

•  
Carnifex

Well... good news from here... Im able to send mail to the hotmail domain.

After I solved the spam issue it became clear that changing the hostname solved the problem I was struggling with for quite a time.

Thanx a lot!
  •  
jensonyu

When you said "change hostname", do you mean changing the A record in your DNS zone file?
  •  
winkelman

I think he meant changing the 'Internet hostname' as listed in KMS Administration Console --> Domains (top of screen, above the list of mail domains) to exactly match the PTR record...
  •  
Carnifex

winkelman wrote on Wed, 25 July 2007 16:44

I think he meant changing the 'Internet hostname' as listed in KMS Administration Console --> Domains (top of screen, above the list of mail domains) to exactly match the PTR record...

Yes you're right. That was the thing I was supposed to do, or did I misunderstood? However, it worked for me, but maybe doing this I solved the problem on a crappy way? Embarassed

Can you advise on this? Is my "version" of your solution solid or should I solve it another, more professional, way?
  •  
winkelman

Well, any KMS admin has to make sure that the 'Internet hostname' in KMS Admin Console matches (at least one of) the PTR records of the server's public IP address.

And should they not match, there are two solutions: change the 'Internet hostname' in KMS or change the PTR record in DNS. Whatever suits you best Smile

So sure, your solution is just fine.
  •  
keithd1229

I think hotmail intentionally delays receiving your message as a spam test. The idea is a spammer who is trying to send out millions of emails will not take the time to wait around for a second or third attempt but a legitimate email server will be persistent enough to try.

I periodically see this message as well, but when I follow up with the recipient later on the email eventually went through (only when I never eventually received a Failed Delivery Message).
  •  
winkelman

keithd1229 wrote on Wed, 25 July 2007 20:44

I think hotmail intentionally delays receiving your message as a spam test.

That's called greylisting (Wikipedia) and can mostly be determined by the status text of the (temporarily) stuck message in the mail queue. It will mention greylisting or state something like "try again in xx minutes".

I don't believe Hotmail uses greylisting though...
  •  
Carnifex

winkelman wrote on Thu, 26 July 2007 17:56

keithd1229 wrote on Wed, 25 July 2007 20:44

I think hotmail intentionally delays receiving your message as a spam test.

That's called greylisting (Wikipedia) and can mostly be determined by the status text of the (temporarily) stuck message in the mail queue. It will mention greylisting or state something like "try again in xx minutes".

I don't believe Hotmail uses greylisting though...

Same here, I dont think Hotmail is using that. It takes a lot of server load as far as I know.

Besides that, my settings on kerio dont have problems with greylisting. It will retry for quite a while if the receiving server (temporarily) refuses the message.

Thanx for your suggestion anyway. The issue is already solved though, but it never hurts to share some knowledge!
scsc_tech

Reviving an old thread. I am getting the 4.2.2 Connection lost error to all addresses sent to a specific domain. Their mail logs show that the mail is timing out. When I check our PTR record for mail.mydomain.com it shows up as mydomain.com
Will it cause this issue if my PTR record does not contain the mail subdomain?
Previous Topic: Global Contacts is loosing contacts...
Next Topic: Entourage vs Kerio / Calendar Problem
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Sep 24 01:37:11 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00581 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.