Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Recover single email
  •  
keithd1229

Send a private message to this user
How do you recover a single email from backup?

KMS 6.4.0 build 3364
  •  
BudDurland

On Windows, Kerio stores backups as standard .ZIP files. I suspect other operating systems use the "standard" for that OS - tar, gzip, whatever. (Is StuffIt still commmon on Macs?)

Anyway, extracting the email from the archive is fairly easy. Identifying it is harder, though a competent archive management program will usually let you preview the file before extracting it. The steps I would take are:

1) find the .eml file for the message and extract it to an alternate location (not the Kerio Store folder)

2) Shutdown Kerio

3) Navigate to the server's mail store folder for the user (/kerio/mail/<domain_name>/<user_name>/<folder_name>/#msgs/.

4) Make sure there isn't already a file with the same name in that folder. Rename the file to be restored if required; try to emulate the Kerio naming convention, and don't change the extension. Copy the restored file to the message store.

5) delete the index file index.fld from the store folder (/kerio/mail/<domain_name>/<user_name>/<folder_name>/). You may also need to delete deleted.fld.

6) Restart Kerio

Hope this helps

Good is better than evil because it's nicer
--Mammy Yokum
  •  
keithd1229

Ahhh. . .

I didn't delete the index.fld file. I will try this later.

Thanks much for the info! I will have to try this later and see what happens.
  •  
keithd1229

Since I had done everything except delete the index file, I went ahead and shutdown kerio for the 5 seconds it took and deleted the file. I then opened his outlook and the email was once again there.

Thanks!
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Actually, you should never delete index.fld file. Rename it to index.bad instead. Otherwise you will loss some information and email properties.

[Updated on: Tue, 17 July 2007 16:04]

•  
keithd1229

Is there any documentation detailing the proper procedure for recovering a single email. I searched but came up empty? Maybe I didn't go the right place though.
Previous Topic: POP3 client cannot send smtp email outside mail server - relay denied
Next Topic: Push Mail and POP3 Download
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 01:36:39 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00450 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.