Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » redundant mailserver
  •  
rleslie70

Send a private message to this user
We're upgrading our internet circuit at our main office(where our email server is located) and our internet will probably be down for an hour or so. We have remote access to another office in another city. What i was thinking of doing is setting up a secondary kerio server there (but with no users) and setting that as the secondary mx record.

My question is if i wanted the backup email server to forward the email back to the original email server once our internet came backup would i just select the option 'if recipient was not found in this domain, forward to this address' and then put the public ip of our originating mail server? Since i plan to have no users in the secondary email server, i think this will work. just wanted to make sure since it's not really something i can test until we take the internet down.
  •  
Petr Dobry (Kerio)

Yes, it will work. You just need to make sure your backup mailserver will not try to deliver emails immediately (in case your primary server will be offline at that moment), so select Offline ETRN delivery instead of Online. Emails for whole domain will be queued and waiting for pickup.

On primary mailserver then setup ETRN receiving from backup mailserver at regular intervals.

Petr Dobry
Product Development Manager | Kerio
  •  
rleslie70

thanks for the input. we upgraded our internet last night and the redundant mail server worked like a charm.
  •  
winkelman

Quriosity question: how do you setup the backup Kerio Mailserver? It would need to accept all emails, so you'd use a * alias? On the other hand, you wouldn't want it to deliver the messages to a existing local mailbox, but queue the messages for later (ETRN) retrievel.

So what the basics for a backup Kerio Mailserver?
  •  
rleslie70

Well, basically what we did is set up a second mx record and give it a lower priority. That way if our network goes down in our main office email is automatically routed to a remote office.

The only issue is that unless you buy multiple copies of kerio, you can't run multiple copies at the same time (i think that kerio mailserver checks periodically on the internet to make sure you're not running multiple licenses or something). So if our primary office goes down, we would have to contact the lady in the remote office to start the kerio mail services. Or if we have prior notice of an outage, i can remote in myself and start the services.

We have 2 servers in the remote office that i installed kerio on. one of them i plan to use as a 'catchall' server. Basically, you install kerio and you add the domains you want. however, you don't add any users. you go into the forwarding on the domains and specify the ip address where you want to forward the recipients if they are not found on the domain.

The other remote server i have all the users that i have on my primary server. There are a couple of config files under program files\kerio, that have all the user info. and you just need to copy those two files over and you have all your users. This server would be used if we had a major outage for an extended period of time....ie a hurricane.

hope this helps. Basically, it's ok with kerio if you install kerio on additional servers for redundancy. you just can't run the servers simultanously without buying additional licenses.

•  
winkelman

rleslie70 wrote on Sat, 04 August 2007 16:20

Basically, you install kerio and you add the domains you want. however, you don't add any users. you go into the forwarding on the domains and specify the ip address where you want to forward the recipients if they are not found on the domain.

Ah, clear. Thanks.
Previous Topic: Webmail fonts
Next Topic: KOC autoupdate warning
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 05:27:26 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00479 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.